No announcement yet.

Let's discuss how we lost to the Chargers last time and what to do different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's discuss how we lost to the Chargers last time and what to do different

I'm chalking that lose straight up to fact it was a Thursday game. Simple as that. I can't wait until that line gets down to around 8 so I can bet the house

Well you answered your own question, don't play on Thursday night.

Comment

In my opinion, the key to the game will be to get off to a fast start. We know that their basic philosophy in their game plan will be to win the TOP battle and keep Manning on the bench.

I know that Denver and SD typically defer the opening kickoff, but in this case if I were Denver, I'd take the ball first and come out with an extremely aggressive offensive game plan to try to put SD on their heels right off the bat. I realize Denver scored on the first drive vs SD last game...however, does anyone really think that the Broncos are going to produce 4 straight 3 and outs during the middle of the game and do stupid **** like being offsides on SD punts deep inside their territory (don't answer that!).

Comment

I don't think it was JUST the Thursday night. I think we took for granted beating them the first time, and i think we weren't at all prepared for their rushing game, and I think Phil Rivers had a flawless day throwing the ball.

If we can stop the run, I think we will be fine. If we can get off the field on third and fourth downs, I think we will be fine. If we can get SOME pressure up the middle, I think we will be fine.

Comment

Whateve the SD defense did to Manning seemed to be the same the Colts D did to us earlier in the year... I think the DC of both teams are brother perhaps... I can't explain exactly what they did, but it was the 2 times this season the Offense looked, well, meh.

Comment

Originally posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
            I don't think it was JUST the Thursday night. I think we took for granted beating them the first time, and i think we weren't at all prepared for their rushing game, and I think Phil Rivers had a flawless day throwing the ball.

If we can stop the run, I think we will be fine. If we can get off the field on third and fourth downs, I think we will be fine. If we can get SOME pressure up the middle, I think we will be fine.
            ayep

Comment

I think a lot of it had to do with pixie dust.

Comment

It's not some random thing that the chargers didnt get off the field. They did that all year on 3rd down conversions.

Comment

I remember a key turning point in that game was on special teams. Trindon had fielded a punt inside the 10 (might have even been the 5), and really put our offense in a bad position.

That decision really limited what Peyton and the offense could do. We punted and SD got great field position at the 50. Luckily we were able to survive that as the D forced a 3 & out. But, being that the ball was still around the 50 , field position was still an issue as SD again pinned the ball inside the 10. We had to again punt from deep in our own territory and SD would turn this field position into points right before the half.

They got the ball to start the second half, and momentum had clearly shifted by that point.

Turnovers and the game of field position need to be the focus for Denver this time around.

Comment

By Thursday night do you mean it was a short week for us?

It was a short week for them too. And they had to travel.

Not logical.

Comment

Our O-Line came out and looked like absolute dog turds on that Thursday night game. I guarantee we will not see a performance like that again.

Also, our QB is not Andy Dalton, so there's that.

Comment

No middle pass rush on Rivers=nightmare for Broncos. We already know we won't have any outside rush to speak of, so the inside beef is going to have to push guys back into Rivers and our LB/DB had better tackle any completions at the spot.

Second, sustained drives to keep Rivers sitting. Give them some of their own medicine with 12-15 play drives and a sustained run/screen game. OL has to bring their A game cuz the Bolts are now getting a pass rush, ask Dalton.

Comment

The Denver offense has run fewer than 65 plays in two games this season -- both against McCoy’s Chargers. In San Diego’s win in Denver on Dec. 12, the Broncos ran a season-low 54 plays, including penalty snaps.
                          http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...ers-at-broncos

Comment

the key to the game is 3rd down conversions. That's it, it's that simple. If you convert on 3rd down, you extend drives. You score TD's, not FG's. if you don't convert on 3rd down, you give the ball right back.

SD and Den were #1 and #2 in terms of 3rd down conversion last year. Extending drives is how the win. they were 7-16 in week 10 (but had to settle for 2 FG's instead of TD's - that's why we won), and they were 6-12 in week 15. We must do a better job of getting off the field.

Comment

This is simple. Score TDs not FG. In the Denver win, they scored 4 TDs SD settled for FGs. In Denver they scored 2 TDs and 2 FGs.

This will come down to QBing just like yesterday's games. All close games where the QBs played well. The blowout the QB was dog turd.

Comment

Working...
                              X