San Diego Offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego Offense

So we know what happened the past few times we played them. They dominated the possession and hogged the ball all day. So if you are JDR, how do you come in attacking them on defense?

It may sound crazy, but I'm stacking the box early and often. 1st, 2nd, & 3rd down. Crowd the line taking away the run, make the OL have to guess at who to block and put defenders in the lanes on short routes, pick plays and screens. I make the WR's have to beat our CB's all day long. If they do, good for them. I don't have much faith in the Chargers speed at the skill positions and I like our combination of DRC/Harris/Champ vs. Allen, Green, Royal and Gates.

They are getting a ton of pressure on defense too. Glad our OL has been pretty damn solid this season. SD is one team that has shut us down on offense.

Comment

They did well against us in Denver. It will be interesting to see how much that was them just beating our ass our us being tired from running 91 plays the week before against Tennessee and then rolling into a short week playing SD on Thursday. Interestingly enough, Denver beat SD in SD after our bye week. Next week's playoff game of course, Denver will be coming off it's bye week again.

Comment

Alot of Run Blitz

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post
          They did well against us in Denver. It will be interesting to see how much that was them just beating our ass our us being tired from running 91 plays the week before against Tennessee and then rolling into a short week playing SD on Thursday. Interestingly enough, Denver beat SD in SD after our bye week. Next week's playoff game of course, Denver will be coming off it's bye week again.
          San Diego D did well in the loss at home too. If they hold us to under 30 like that game they will have a shot to win. Manning is going to need to lead the team to 35 plus and NO STUPID FUMBLES or INTS.

Comment

McCoy adjusted well but the #1 thing we have to stop is the #1 thing JDR preaches...which is stopping the run. With Vickerson out, this is a much bigger challenge.

And don't let Rivers step up.

Comment

Last time we did this moronic delayed blitz BS that Rivers killed by getting the ball off fast. Lets not do that JDR. In fact, don't ever delay the blitz on a playoff caliber team.

Comment

Yeah I think you up a priority on stopping the run and make Rivers earn it. He'll get his, but it will be harder facing long downs.

Comment

Keep Allen in check and limit their TE.

Comment

During our home game vs. SD, Welker was out. That was unfortunate but Caldwell had a solid game. The offense as whole sucked all day long. Decker/DT/Orange Julius finished with 10 catches combined. That cannot happen again. SD's D has come up big, but there is nobody in that defensive backfield that scares me, not even Weddle. Our WR's need to dominate and beat the pants off their DB's. There really is no excuse not to.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
                      Last time we did this moronic delayed blitz BS that Rivers killed by getting the ball off fast. Lets not do that JDR. In fact, don't ever delay the blitz on a playoff caliber team.
                      Not that I completely loved the approach but in 2005 under Larry Coyer's watch, our defense would walk EVERYBODY up. Pittsburgh ended up killing us because of it, but it knocked a lot of offenses out of rhythm including NE in the playoffs, the week before. It gave Brady fits.

Understanding that SD wants to run the ball early and often, and that Rivers likes to step into his throws (partially because I think he's losing zip and strength on his throws), Denver needs to be attacking the A game with blitzes and pushing the pocket back in his face. This will disrupt his ability to consistently step into throws, run the ball as the backs will have to go sides ways but could open us up to draws and screens which SD likes to run. Still, i'll take our defense going down by pressuring the passer vs. the passive approach we've taken the pass two games where we let SD just eat up all the clock and Manning freezes on the sideline. JDR has to get after it this game. Make SD have to keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post
                        So we know what happened the past few times we played them. They dominated the possession and hogged the ball all day. So if you are JDR, how do you come in attacking them on defense?

It may sound crazy, but I'm stacking the box early and often. 1st, 2nd, & 3rd down.
                        McCoy may have this in mind for next game and SD may come out slinging it like we did against Pitt in that Wild Card game. I have been very impressed with McCoy's ability to scheme big picture. He sets defences up like he did today only passing the ball 6 times in the 1st half and then comes out passing off the running game. He set up defences with runs on nearly EVERY 1st down during the 2011 season and came out passing off the run vs. Pitt.

Our O was seriously dominant in the 3rd quarter last year with McCoy due in large part to adjustments.

He's very good at scheming so I don't think we should necessarily stack the box to begin.

Comment

our run defense has to step up
                          we have to do what it takes to stop their 5 yard gains to grind out the clock

With Champ back that also helps I think so that SD cant just key on Webster every down
                          It was ridiculous how on every third down they just threw it at Webster for an easy first down
                          We need to blitz and be aggressive on defense
                          Dont care if we give up a score or two; we can't let them control the ball the whole game like the Thursday night game

Turn it into a shootout please

Comment

Originally posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
                            we can't let them control the ball the whole game like the Thursday night game
                            they did it in the 1st game too. SD had the ball for over 38 minutes in their loss

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                              Keep Allen in check and limit their TE.
                              This. Allen overwhelmed our secondary with his athleticism, while Gates and Co. picked up key third downs. We'll be better prepared this time around. I also like the fact that we won't be taking them lightly after that loss.
                              We all know what happened when we beat the Ravens in the regular season and were little too confident...

Go Broncos!

Comment

Working...
                              X