Denver is more dangerous on the ground than you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
    Quick, someone install the "red phone" in Fox's office and put it through to Chef Luigi's house.
    fox would have to be dummer than a box of rocks to not know that he needs to use his O to protect his D
    he would be INCOMPETENT if he did not relize that his O needs new wrinkles in formations and personnel groupings to offset what our opponents have learned about our offensive tendencies.
    I expect us to fair catch every single punt if Fox has been paying attention, or at the very least, I expect to see somebody other than welker and holiday fielding punts !
    caldwell ?Hillman?
    decker?
    somebody !rod smith!

Comment

Originally posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
      I think that if Denver gets upset in the playoffs, it will be because of a Special Teams meltdown.
      Two of our losses this year can be attributed to special teams, so I agree that it's certainly a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
        Put him on ignore, don't quote him. You won't waste your time responding.
        this. THIS!

also, I agree drunken broncoholic is a good poster.

also, I really really like the running game. Monte Ball seems like he's had that light bulb turn on and he's been rolling the past month or so.
        Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 01-03-2014, 10:19 AM.

Comment

can Ball be trusted as a blocker?

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
            can Ball be trusted as a blocker?
            Maybe you should actually watch the games. He's gotten pretty decent in pass protection from what I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
              I think that if Denver gets upset in the playoffs, it will be because of a Special Teams meltdown.

At this point, I do *NOT* trust either Trindon Holliday or Wes Welker to return anything! Holliday has hands the size of a walnut, and Welker's judgement on punts reflects a brain the size of a walnut.

Bring back Darrien "Flash" Gordon! That guy was a game-changer.

I liked Gordon as well...he was an unsung hero in '97 with 3 punt returns for TD's and again in '98 with 2 INT's in AFC championship vs. Jets and in SB XXXIII with 2 INT's

But he pales in comparison to Holliday when it comes to the return game....in his 9 year NFL career Gordon had a total of 6 TD's via punt returns, none after '97 season and none in the postseason. He also had 27 fumbles (5 as a Broncos player in his 2 seasons)

Holliday by contrast already has 4 total TD's via returns (3 PR and 3 KO), and has 2 TD's in postseason as well (1 each PR/KO)...his biggest problem is ball security (11 career fumbles)

Gordon's value to the team was higher because he also was a decent CB, and created more turnovers than he gave up and like I stated, was a fan favorite...but he didn't "change" as many games as many think he did when it came to the return game, but he did have an excellent game as a CB in SB XXXIII (then again what Broncos player didn't?)

Holliday on the other hand, practically kept the Broncos in the Ravens divisional playoff game by producing 7 point leads not once but twice on returns.
              Last edited by errand; 01-03-2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by errand View Post
                I liked Gordon as well...he was an unsung hero in '97 with 3 punt returns for TD's and again in '98 with 2 INT's in AFC championship vs. Jets and in SB XXXIII with 2 INT's

But he pales in comparison to Holliday when it comes to the return game....in his 9 year NFL career Gordon had a total of 6 TD's via punt returns, none after '97 season and none in the postseason. He also had 27 fumbles (5 as a Broncos player in his 2 seasons)

Holliday by contrast already has 4 total TD's via returns (3 PR and 3 KO), and has 2 TD's in postseason as well (1 each PR/KO)...his biggest problem is ball security (11 career fumbles)

Gordon's value to the team was higher because he also was a decent CB, and created turnovers than he gave up and like I stated, was a fan favorite...but he didn't "change" as many games as many think he did when it came to the return game, but he did have an excellent game as a CB in SB XXXIII (then again what Broncos player didn't?)

Holliday on the other hand, practically kept the Broncos in the Ravens divisional playoff game by producing 7 point leads not once but twice on returns.
                yeah...Gordon and Rod Smith both returned punts over both seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                  Maybe you should actually watch the games. He's gotten pretty decent in pass protection from what I've seen.
                  so you think he can be trusted to pick up and effectively block any blitzes?I see you are reluctant to answer this question so I have my answer.
                  It is the reason why KM is the starter and gets the lions share of snaps! It is the reason why it is more likely that BALL will go out on a pass pattern than he will be held in the pocket to block.
                  Last edited by CHEF LUIGI; 01-03-2014, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
                    I think Drunken Broncoholic was and he's a real cool guy.
                    He's an exception, but otherwise it's a pretty good general rule.

Comment

holiday is a gamechanger, but that discribes the double edged sword that his presnce on the field represents. he can change the game, good or bad for our broncos. With our O we just need someone to show good judgement in fair catching the ball, we dont need a gamebreaker, especially one who comes at such high risk.

Comment

This team is built on passing, they run on 1st down predictably to setup other plays by keeping the D from substituting. Teams can send out their run package on D on 1st and stop or limit the gain but then Manning will call the play at the line then exploit the D via a pass play on 2nd down.

They will go some games seemingly without playaction but there are others where they use it over and over.

Comment

I forgot to add that with our D we need to score every drive and get the big chunks of yardage even if it only flips the FP when we punt.

Pass, Pass, Pass in the playoffs!

Comment

Originally posted by broncosteven View Post
                            I forgot to add that with our D we need to score every drive and get the big chunks of yardage even if it only flips the FP when we punt.

Pass, Pass, Pass in the playoffs!
                            that could easily equate to 3 and out, less than a minute off ther clock and our tired depleated defense back on the field with little time to rest , recover and communicate on their own evolving gameplan for defending what they are seeing. a pass happy O has the potential to spell desaster for our broncos! try to recall our game against the cowboys.

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
                              that could easily equate to 3 and out, less than a minute off ther clock and our tired depleated defense back on the field with little time to rest , recover and communicate on their own evolving gameplan for defending what they are seeing. a pass happy O has the potential to spell desaster for our broncos! try to recall our game against the cowboys.
                              I didn't mean literally pass every down. Just keep cranking like they have all year. How often have we gone three and out this season? 2-3 times a game on avg?

The day we had our best rushing output we lost.

Comment

less than 20 runs, we lose.
                                more than 45 passes, we lose.
                                I dont care who our opponent will be in the play-offs, these are the paramaters of failure.
                                JMHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X