Denver is more dangerous on the ground than you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver is more dangerous on the ground than you think

"The constant focus on Manning’s passing exploits is natural because he and the Denver Broncos are so proficient at throwing the ball. Manning set another single-season NFL record with 55 touchdown passes, as Denver had four players with at least 10 scoring receptions. Manning attempted a league-high 659 passes and his completions (450) outnumbered the attempts for current playoff QBs Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick.

But as ESPN.com presents an “NFL Confidential” package beginning this week, we take a closer look at an overlooked secret to the Broncos’ offensive success. Their ground game is No. 1 on my list of five NFL secrets heading into the new year.

The Broncos have dropped back to pass 56.3 percent of the time on first and second downs, the 13th-highest rate in the NFL and right near the league average (55.1). The dropback rate climbs slightly to 60.8 percent, which ranks eighth, without plays when Denver was leading by double digits and more likely to run. Though overshadowed by Manning's prolific arm, the Broncos rank sixth in rushing yards on early downs over their final seven games, up from 17th over their first nine games. Their per-carry average has spiked from 3.7 to 4.6 in the process, with Knowshon Moreno and Montee Ball providing a 1-2 punch.

“It’s easy to see Moreno and what he brings: a pads-over-toes, violent run style,” a defensive coach said. “The hidden gem is the development of Ball. He’s showing signs of becoming a tough, slashing back, which was his M.O. at Wisconsin. [Broncos offensive coordinator] Adam Gase and that staff seem to be getting them ready for winter football. They've now got a two-headed rushing attack, and both are also dangerous on short passes and screens -- smart by the offensive staff...

Continued at http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mike...119&src=mobile

I never said the broncos could not run, my concern is they do not run enough.
    and when BALL is in, its about the ONLY time that PFM takes snaps under center and their attack is pretty obvious and so are thier offensive options !

we have become predictable based on our formations and personnel packages,

that NEEDS to change for the play-offs if we want to advance ! our O should be more focused on moving the chains , using the clock, controling the tempo and
    KEEPING OUR D OFF THE FIELD for as long as possible !
    our ST should be more focused on
    SECURING THE FOOTBALL, instead of advancing the football.
    leave that responsability to MANNING !

Comment

I have been truly happy with the bigger emphasis on running in the 2nd half of the season. Have also been extremely happy that Ball has his his stride at the perfect time.

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
        and when BALL is in, its about the ONLY time that PFM takes snaps under center and their attack is pretty obvious and so are thier offensive options !

that NEEDS to change for the play-offs if we want to advance ! our O should be more focused on moving the chains , using the clock, controling the tempo and
        Really? Our offense is FAR and away the best in the NFL this year. It doesn't "need" to do anything. It is incredibly solid. If we want to advance in the playoffs, our defense and specials teams need to step up, that's it. Why the sudden and weird concern for our offense? Who cares how fast we score, if we are scoring 37+?

This kind of post is funny to me. Someone claiming not only our greatest asset, but the best offensive unit in the HISTORY of the NFL, needs to change things to hope to do something in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFox View Post
          Really? Our offense is FAR and away the best in the NFL this year. It doesn't "need" to do anything. It is incredibly solid. If we want to advance in the playoffs, our defense and specials teams need to step up, that's it. Why the sudden and weird concern for our offense? Who cares how fast we score, if we are scoring 37+?

This kind of post is funny to me. Someone claiming not only our greatest asset, but the best offensive unit in the HISTORY of the NFL, needs to change things to hope to do something in the playoffs.
          um I have said repeatedly in several threads that our D and ST are the far greater concern, my post in THIS thread intimates as much, and that the POWER of our O should be better utilized to minimize the weaknesses that exist on D and ST !
          please re-read, with less anamosity.

when we were juggernauting our way to 50 points, inferior teams like the cowboys were keeping pace !
          our O has become predictable, see the chargers game for details !
          we wont be facing chumps like the raiders in the play-offs, every facet of our game has to step up !
          this article is about our run game, all along I have posted that running the ball and stopping the run remains essential to winning a trophy named after the man who first declared the blueprint foe post season success.
          My comments here and everywhere else reflect those same sentaments, so forgive me for questioniong your 'curiousity".
          go Broncos.

Comment

um I have said repeatedly in several threads that our D and ST are the far greater concern, my post in THIS thread intimates as much, and that the POWER of our O should be better utilized to minimize the weaknesses that exist on D and ST !
            please re-read, with less anamosity.

when we were juggernauting our way to 50 points, inferior teams like the cowboys were keeping pace !
            our O has become predictable, see the chargers game for details !
            we wont be facing chumps like the raiders in the play-offs, every facet of our game has to step up !
            this article is about our run game, all along I have posted that running the ball and stopping the run remains essential to winning a trophy named after the man who first declared the blueprint foe post season success.
            My comments here and everywhere else reflect those same sentaments, so forgive me for questioniong your 'curiousity".
            go Broncos.
            You really are the worst type of person.

Comment

bless you and your entire family

Comment

I think that if Denver gets upset in the playoffs, it will be because of a Special Teams meltdown.

At this point, I do *NOT* trust either Trindon Holliday or Wes Welker to return anything! Holliday has hands the size of a walnut, and Welker's judgement on punts reflects a brain the size of a walnut.

Bring back Darrien "Flash" Gordon! That guy was a game-changer.

Last edited by Armchair Bronco; 01-03-2014, 02:37 AM.

Comment

So predictable we're walking over people by two-three touchdowns. We lost three games, two on completely fluke plays and mistakes. What team are you following again?

Comment

Put him on ignore, don't quote him. You won't waste your time responding to his idiocy. Happy Happy Happy Mane.

Comment

Montee Ball really does intrigue me still. I know in this offense (with KM particularly) all his skill has yet to be seen.

Comment

Just hope we play the Colts. I want to go all Star Was on Irsay. Then let the run game kill the clock as we nurse our 45-20 3rd quarter lead. Then CHIEF LUIGI can bitch about how predictable our offense was, as the Colts always knew when we decided we were gonna score on any particular play.

Comment

The run game doesn't need to put up big numbers.

It just needs to be able to grind the clock once the Broncos get the lead.

Not something it's really been successful at for awhile, so there's work to be done there.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
                            Put him on ignore, don't quote him. You won't waste your time responding to his idiocy. Happy Happy Happy Mane.
                            covering your ears with your hands and closing your eyes really tight while chanting, 'la-la-la-lala-Im not listening'
                            works really well too.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
                              The run game doesn't need to put up big numbers.

It just needs to be able to grind the clock once the Broncos get the lead.

Not something it's really been successful at for awhile, so there's work to be done there.
                              no this is the wrong mentality, sorry. the run needs to be an integral part of the game from our first possesion, the more we run, the more we control clock and tempo and keep our own D off the field.
                              Just ask dan fouts to show you his superbowl rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X