No announcement yet.

Why is the league undermining the refs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the league undermining the refs?

This is the 3rd or 4th example of the NFL going public with referee "mis-calls" in the last two weeks. What the **** is going on here? Am I the only one that thinks this is uncool on the part of Roger Goodell?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ldgoal-attempt

"With 0:08 remaining in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game between the Kansas City Chiefs and San Diego Chargers, Kansas City faced a fourth-and-12 from the San Diego 23. The Chiefs attempted a 41-yard field that was no good," the league said in a statement.

"On the play, San Diego lined up with seven men on one side of the snapper. This should have been penalized as an illegal formation by the defense.

"Rule 9, Section 1, Article 3(b)(1) of the NFL Rule Book (page 51) states that 'No more than six Team B players may be on the line of scrimmage on either side of the snapper at the snap.' The rule was adopted this year as a player safety measure.

"The penalty for illegal formation by the defense is a loss of five yards. This rule is not subject to instant replay review. Had the penalty been assessed, it would have resulted in a fourth-and-7 from the San Diego 18 with 0:04 remaining, enabling the Chiefs to attempt a 36-yard field goal."

Because the refs have gotten a lot of calls wrong this season?

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
      Because the refs have gotten a lot of calls wrong this season?
      Granted -- but why would the league be so actively calling them out on it? It's not in their own best interest, is it?

Comment

its better than the NBA where the refs are hired goons saddled with the burden of carrying out the desires of their evil commishioner, Stern ! and more than willing to call a game to fit their egos and demonstrate their dominance over the players ! a league where even annoncers can be FIRED for questioning the referees !
        at least the NFL is willing to admit mistakes are made. I think these admissions are orchestrated for the puropose of new negotiations with the ref union and contract talks.
        missed calls are one thing, its pretty sad when the refs do not know the rules !
        replacemnet refs... remember?

Comment

Originally posted by BowlenBall View Post
          This is the 3rd or 4th example of the NFL going public with referee "mis-calls" in the last two weeks. What the **** is going on here? Am I the only one that thinks this is uncool on the part of Roger Goodell?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ldgoal-attempt

"With 0:08 remaining in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game between the Kansas City Chiefs and San Diego Chargers, Kansas City faced a fourth-and-12 from the San Diego 23. The Chiefs attempted a 41-yard field that was no good," the league said in a statement.

"On the play, San Diego lined up with seven men on one side of the snapper. This should have been penalized as an illegal formation by the defense.

"Rule 9, Section 1, Article 3(b)(1) of the NFL Rule Book (page 51) states that 'No more than six Team B players may be on the line of scrimmage on either side of the snapper at the snap.' The rule was adopted this year as a player safety measure.

"The penalty for illegal formation by the defense is a loss of five yards. This rule is not subject to instant replay review. Had the penalty been assessed, it would have resulted in a fourth-and-7 from the San Diego 18 with 0:04 remaining, enabling the Chiefs to attempt a 36-yard field goal."
          The NFL needs to reflect on how the officiating is undermining outcomes of games and after the missed call you mention above - who makes the playoffs.

Perhaps the numerous major blown calls this year will be the impetus for the NFL to start addressing the lack of quality control regarding officiating.

Comment

For decades the league did everything they could to sweep the refs blunders under the rug. Since the replacement refs idea blew up in their faces thanks to the media, they are now willing to throw the regular refs to the wolves in order to win over the media and the public.

I really enjoy the media stories about "how bad the refs are this year." The refs have been bad for as long as I've been watching the game, and these journalists are acting like horrendous blown calls are something that just popped up this season.

Comment

Good. Unfortunately, they need to be faster on the fly. Their blown call eliminated the Steelers from the playoffs.

Comment

I'm not disagreeing -- in fact, the end of the Cowboys-Eagles game had one of the worst blown calls I've ever seen (from that ****er Gene Steratore).

I just think it's really unusual for the league to so actively be throwing the refs under a bus here -- what do you think the strategy is?

Comment

Originally posted by BowlenBall View Post
                  I'm not disagreeing -- in fact, the end of the Cowboys-Eagles game had one of the worst blown calls I've ever seen (from that ****er Gene Steratore).

I just think it's really unusual for the league to so actively be throwing the refs under a bus here -- what do you think the strategy is?
                  Hmmm, I say you are giving the NFL way too much credit in saying they have a "strategy". They need to be proactive and not reactive to the officiating. If they did that, they wouldn't have to be tossing these "after the fact" pressers out after botched/missed calls.

Comment

Technology has far surpassed the refs, but the NFL continues a dog-and-pony show to keep them happy.

Do you know why they make the ref run all the way over to the sideline to look into that machine, instead of just have someone in a booth radio down the right call in about 15 seconds? Because the refs on the field don't want authority taken away from them. It would hurt their feelings.

It's absurd. As are the rules for what you can/can't challenge. Why can't you challenge at 60 yard PI call that puts the ball on the 1 yard line?

Comment

There were 4 or 5 calls/non-calls that directly affected the Broncos playoff loss last year.

Comment

I like it.

They're really quick to publish stories about player wrong doings, bout time they hold their own employees to the same standard.

Comment

i'd be pissed if I was a Steeler today

Comment

I would not say they are undermining them, they are correcting them. It's a smart move to own up when a mistake is made and be honest about it. Unlike the NBA which constantly has to battle the conspiracy talk.

It also, I believe, is setting up the NFL to have better officiating down the road with the use of more video and perhaps calling penalties or over turning penalties from a video official.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they didn't do this last year. Probably could have written a novella from the Denver playoff game.

I'm fine w/ it. I am fine with it. Seems they are making (or perhaps making the illusion of) holding the officials accountable.

Comment

Working...
                              X