Broncos at Raiders: Game Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos at Raiders: Game Notes

Congratulations to the Broncos for securing the #1 seed in the AFC, and getting an automatic bid to the elite 8. Let's get to it.

1. The Broncos are missing their top 3 pass-rushers from 2012 (Miller, Dumervil, Wolfe). The Broncos pass-rush will need to rely on pure emotion, and timely blitzes to generate consistent pressure in the playoffs, because the talent is lacking.
    2. Hopefully Derek Wolfe can return so we won't have to see Jeremy Mincey at 5-tech anymore. Mincey might be able to pressure occasionally in spots, but hasn't shown to be particularly effective in edge containment.
    3. Sylvester Williams continues to improve in gap control against the run, and gain strength while working into game shape. His leadership potential is also beginning to show.
    4. Lucky for the Broncos that Nate Webster got a lot of work early in the year, because he has stepped in nicely and is performing. Von Miller can't be replaced, but Irving (at his best) makes a couple big plays per game.
    5. The Broncos run Defense looks more cohesive to end the season after the breakdown against the Chargers. Cohesion is the key.
    6. Champ Bailey continues to gain confidence, and learn his new position. Hopefully he'll be ready in 2 weeks to start making more breaks on the ball.
    7. I like what Micheal Huff gives the Broncos off the bench as an edge blitzer. They need all the help they can get to manufacture pressure.
    8. The Broncos are playing lots of guys at Safety, but they will lean on Mike Adams and Duke Ihenacho to make plays when it counts.
    9. You have to wonder how badly a playoff QB will be able to pick the Broncos Safeties apart while getting >3 seconds to throw the ball.
    10. Wesley Woodyard was introduced as a starter, but MIKE in base remains to be Paris Lenon, and it's here to stay. Both players are showing positive energy, which is good.
    11. Unfortunately, the newly shaped Defense remains largely untested until the Divisional round, when it's "win or go home".
    12. Montee Ball ends the season averaging 4.7 ypc, after having a very slow start to the year.
    13. Both Knowshon Moreno and Ball have hit their stride. The Broncos running game is much improved from last year, averaging 4.1 ypc. These guys are 1st down machines, with great open-field abilty, and great hands.
    14. Behind Peyton Manning, the Best Offense Ever is hitting on all cylinders heading into the playoffs.
    15. The formula to beat the Broncos Offense? Same as always. Pressure Manning, and keep him off the field. Easier said than done, but the Chargers did it in Mile High. The Broncos know it is all about execution for 60 minutes.
    16. Lost in all the hoopla? The entire Broncos Offense isn't dropping the ball anymore, and that is a very good thing.
    17. The team has a chip on their shoulder, and the #1 seed. Bring on all challengers at Mile High.

I thought it was mentioned that duke had a concussion during todays game

I hope we can maintain that chip on our shoulder. I like the edge.
    Last edited by Broncos_OTM; 12-30-2013, 12:26 AM.

Comment

I suspect our pass rush will be better in the playoffs than you expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
        While we didn't get a boat load of sacks we got pryor off his game and made him run while throwing it. I thought the pressure was decent

Comment

I don't know about that. We couldn't pressure Flacco in the playoffs last year at home, with much better talent.

Might have to blitz a lot to create pressure, which could prove fatal.

Comment

18. The raiders are just what the doctor ordered for an ailing defense.

The problem is that my brother and I wondered out loud several times during the game if the Broncos D has really improved, or is Pryor and the rest of their offense that bad. Probably a little of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
              While we didn't get a boat load of sacks we got pryor off his game and made him run while throwing it. I thought the pressure was decent
              Pryor doesn't make quick decisions, and is pretty horrible after sitting 6 games. He had at least 3 seconds on most of his drop backs, especially when the Broncos only rushed 4.

Rivers and Brady would tear that up.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                Pryor doesn't make quick decisions, and is pretty horrible after sitting 6 games. He had at least 3 seconds on most of his drop backs, especially when the Broncos only rushed 4.

Rivers and Brady would tear that up.
                I've gone over this with other people before, but honestly if QBs get rid of the ball within 3 seconds very few defenses will get to them very often. That's why that whole 3 second rule exists, and that's why Manning rarely ever gets sacked no matter what his line looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos_OTM View Post

I hope we can maintain that chip on our shoulder. I like the edge.
                  The chip will be there for any of the monkeys we face out of the AFC. The Broncos have reason for serious vendettas against all AFC teams except the Bengals.

Comment

Can't even really comment on the 1st half. Manning carved them up easy. The 2nd half I tried to pay close attention to see how they did. I know Osweiler's numbers were decent but he just couldn't lead them on any drives. Knowing our calls were going to be on the more conservative side to kill the clock, I still figured Brock would be able to lead them down to the field on a few drives, against a pathetic Raiders D. He's had 2 years to study and it just didn't seem like he was comfortable out there.

But, we'll debate if Brock is the guy another day. Right now it's Peyton Manning's time to get himself another ring. Let's do this.

Comment

I've gone over this with other people before, but honestly if QBs get rid of the ball within 3 seconds very few defenses will get to them very often. That's why that whole 3 second rule exists, and that's why Manning rarely ever gets sacked no matter what his line looks like.
                      Good thing the Broncos coverage and run-stopping should hopefully be good enough to keep O's under 30? points or so. Don't think Adams will let anybody get over the top after what happened last year.

Hopefully the crowd brings it all game long.

I think everybody is going to play us like the Chargers played us.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                        I don't know about that. We couldn't pressure Flacco in the playoffs last year at home, with much better talent.
                        While I don't disagree with your statement, we had absolutely zero pass rush coming from the middle all last year. This year we are better in the middle, worse on the ends. Will it make a difference? Maybe, maybe not.

Might have to blitz a lot to create pressure, which could prove fatal.
                        Which would be preferable to sitting back and giving a QB all day to kill us. You got to try something, Price. It's not like JDR's got a whole lot of options at this point. He's got to make do with what he's got; he has no choice.

All that said, if the offense brings it's "A" game, we simply will have to out score everyone, just like we have 13 times this season. If they don't, we lose.
                        Last edited by R8R H8R; 12-30-2013, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                          Can't even really comment on the 1st half. Manning carved them up easy. The 2nd half I tried to pay close attention to see how they did. I know Osweiler's numbers were decent but he just couldn't lead them on any drives. Knowing our calls were going to be on the more conservative side to kill the clock, I still figured Brock would be able to lead them down to the field on a few drives, against a pathetic Raiders D. He's had 2 years to study and it just didn't seem like he was comfortable out there.

But, we'll debate if Brock is the guy another day. Right now it's Peyton Manning's time to get himself another ring. Let's do this.
                          Indeed. The defense should be good enough if Manning can simply string together three games on par with what he's been doing nearly every week in the regular season. If he doesn't do that things may go south in a hurry though.

Comment

Comment

Nate Webster is back? ****.

Comment

Working...
                              X