Triskadekaphobic: Broncos' History of 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triskadekaphobic: Broncos' History of 13

Just want to GET THIS OUT THERE ... so it's not lurking unspoken. Broncos' 'History of 13s.' Every team has something like it ... In Kansas City, their 'History of 13s' is called 'Chiefs Playoff Appearances.'

Okay, in 53 seasons the Broncos accomplished FOUR 13-win 13-3 seasons. All four ended with painful home-field playoff losses, huge upsets every one. Today in Year 54, a fifth 13 win season. Nothing triskadekaphobic intended, rather an acknowledgement of the history of 13s, and that it's just coincidence, just a number.

CAPSULES OF 13s:
    1984: Elway in Year 2 tallied franchise record 13 wins and the #1 seed. World was set for Elway vs. Marino in Championship Game. But instead - lost at Mile High Stadium - to the 9-7 Steelers. Abercrombie and Pollard, Abercrombie and Pollard, Abercrombie and Pollard, Abercrombie and Pollard .... Brutal. If you're too young to recall, think Ravens last year, then double it.

1996: Mike Shanahan put all the pieces together, and the 13-3 Broncos were the #1 seed. But the Jacksonville Jaguars (an expansion team the year before) came into Mile High and beat us. Mark Brunell and Jimmy Smith and Michael Dean Perry were the culprits. Brutal. Too young to remember? Think Ravens last year, then double it.

2005: Bright white gleaming spot: Knocked off the Brady-train, it was fussbudget's first playoff loss. No-Mistake-Jake and Champ turning in maybe the best season ever for a cornerback. But in the AFC Championship, Jake thew a BIG mistake just before half, and Nick Ferguson's tippy-toes weren't high enough to beat the Rapesburgh Steelers at home. And the refs gave that unindicted rape-hist a Lombardi

2012: Pain too fresh to dwell on this one ... 13-3 #1 seed Denver lost at home to EVENTUAL SUPER BOWL WINNERS the baltimore ravens. Excuses varied from "too conservative" to "F.Rahim Moore" to "Cha-ump." I'm partial to F Moore, myself

There, done. Somebody had to say it.

Screw history and the information presented in this thread.

Comment

No team has ever won the SB going 13-3.

Having said that, this team has done a lot of things that no team has ever done. They've encountered a mountain of adversity. I would not be surprised if we didn't win it all - losing Vickerson, Miller and Clady will become more glaring holes against elite teams in the playoffs. But I wouldn't be surprised if we won it all, either

Comment

Small sample size.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post

Having said that, this team has done a lot of things that no team has ever done. They've encountered a mountain of adversity. I would not be surprised if we didn't win it all - losing Vickerson, Miller and Clady will become more glaring holes against elite teams in the playoffs. But I wouldn't be surprised if we won it all, either
          Not a small sample size.

Pioneering is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
            Just want to GET THIS OUT THERE ... so it's not lurking unspoken. Broncos' 'History of 13s.' Every team has something like it ... In Kansas City, their 'History of 13s' is called 'Chiefs Playoff Appearances.'

Okay, in 53 seasons the Broncos accomplished FOUR 13-win 13-3 seasons. All four ended with painful home-field playoff losses, huge upsets every one. Today in Year 54, a fifth 13 win season. Nothing triskadekaphobic intended, rather an acknowledgement of the history of 13s, and that it's just coincidence, just a number.

CAPSULES OF 13s:
            1984: Elway in Year 2 tallied franchise record 13 wins and the #1 seed. World was set for Elway vs. Marino in Championship Game. But instead - lost at Mile High Stadium - to the 9-7 Steelers. Abercrombie and Pollard, Abercrombie and Pollard, Abercrombie and Pollard, Abercrombie and Pollard .... Brutal. If you're too young to recall, think Ravens last year, then double it.

1996: Mike Shanahan put all the pieces together, and the 13-3 Broncos were the #1 seed. But the Jacksonville Jaguars (an expansion team the year before) came into Mile High and beat us. Mark Brunell and Jimmy Smith and Michael Dean Perry were the culprits. Brutal. Too young to remember? Think Ravens last year, then double it.

2005: Bright white gleaming spot: Knocked off the Brady-train, it was fussbudget's first playoff loss. No-Mistake-Jake and Champ turning in maybe the best season ever for a cornerback. But in the AFC Championship, Jake thew a BIG mistake just before half, and Nick Ferguson's tippy-toes weren't high enough to beat the Rapesburgh Steelers at home. And the refs gave that unindicted rape-hist a Lombardi

2012: Pain too fresh to dwell on this one ... 13-3 #1 seed Denver lost at home to EVENTUAL SUPER BOWL WINNERS the baltimore ravens. Excuses varied from "too conservative" to "F.Rahim Moore" to "Cha-ump." I'm partial to F Moore, myself

There, done. Somebody had to say it.
            Yes 13-3 sucks. I stated at the beginning of the year I wanted Denver to finish 11-5 or 12-4 NOT 13-3...

All that being said the Saints won the SB with a 13-3 Record.

Comment

I am hopeful that this time..we will overcome the adversity and win the Super bowl.

Comment

The road ahead remains murky, the outcome unsure. May the light that is Manning's fivehead guide our way.

Comment

Its happened 7 times I think

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
                    Its happened 7 times I think
                    Has it really? Well now I feel better. I wonder where I got that from...

Comment

Has it really? Well now I feel better. I wonder where I got that from...
                      I've seen it been said here before too. I'm shocked IOAFM hasn't said it too

Comment

I've seen it been said here before too. I'm shocked IOAFM hasn't said it too
                        PriceJJ said it first, if they did.

BTW, I looked them all up

2009 Saints
                        1999 Rams
                        1996 Packers
                        1990 Giants
                        1994 49ers
                        1992 Cowboys
                        1981 49ers

The good news is a lot of those teams were offensive heavy. The bad news is there has never been a 13-3 AFC team to win a SB. So there you go.

Comment

PriceJJ said it first, if they did.

BTW, I looked them all up

2009 Saints
                          1999 Rams
                          1996 Packers
                          1990 Giants
                          1994 49ers
                          1992 Cowboys
                          1981 49ers

The good news is a lot of those teams were offensive heavy. The bad news is there has never been a 13-3 AFC team to win a SB. So there you go.
                          Haha I suppose that's more coincidence than anything. Still a small sample size

Comment

I think so. Last year it felt like bad juju. This year if we lose I won't be as upset because our defense and injuries were so bad it's going to be hard.

Comment

Statistically, you'd have to tally all 13-3 seasons by any team, then get the ratio to SB winners. Same with all 12, 11, 10 and 14 win teams, then compare. Off with you now, and be lively.

Comment

Working...
                              X