Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rushing: Yards after Contact

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ackles-part-2/

This is an interesting article, and both of our primary running backs make an appearance. It looks at how many yards a running back gains after first contact, and how much those yards contribute to their overall yardage.

No Broncos running back show up on either the high or low lists for outside rushes. Which isn't that surprising, as we rarely do it (I do wonder if that's a wrinkle being held back for the playoffs).

On inside runs, however, Montee Ball is among the league leaders at #7. He gains 58.4% of his yards after first contact. He averages 2.5 yards after contact, putting him just behind Adrian Petersen. I do have to wonder how much that long run against K.C. skews this, however.

Moreno shows up on the bottom of the list with 47.6% of his yards coming after first contact. Averaging only 1.73 yards after contact. McGahee, interestingly, is also near the bottom of the list.

I have no idea if this actually means anything, but I thought it was interesting.

I'd say it means something. AP usually has a stocked box and he's going to have to have great YAC to be as good as he is. It also tells me that at least your know your RB is giving a great effort. Yes it can be skewed some by long runs after contact. But I also wonder what they consider contact? Say you have a great lane the OL has opened up and the runner is just getting through it and somebody reaches out and just manages to get a hand brushing off the shoulder pad but he doesn't really have a chance at slowing the runner, altering his run, and of course a tackle. To me, yards after contact should really be yards after significant or meaningful contact. So it should be YASC or YAMC

Comment

Also, Moreno has been running hard and strong all season. So this is bull****.

Comment

Originally posted by enjolras View Post
        https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ackles-part-2/

This is an interesting article, and both of our primary running backs make an appearance. It looks at how many yards a running back gains after first contact, and how much those yards contribute to their overall yardage.

No Broncos running back show up on either the high or low lists for outside rushes. Which isn't that surprising, as we rarely do it (I do wonder if that's a wrinkle being held back for the playoffs).

On inside runs, however, Montee Ball is among the league leaders at #7. He gains 58.4% of his yards after first contact. He averages 2.5 yards after contact, putting him just behind Adrian Petersen. I do have to wonder how much that long run against K.C. skews this, however.

Moreno shows up on the bottom of the list with 47.6% of his yards coming after first contact. Averaging only 1.73 yards after contact. McGahee, interestingly, is also near the bottom of the list.

I have no idea if this actually means anything, but I thought it was interesting.
        They need to do median average instead of mean. Mean is too easy to influence with outliers like the KFC run.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcow View Post
          Agree, and I'm a Moreno fan. But, while he does often gain yards after contact he doesn't break very many tackles and turn them into longer gains. So, this would tend to skew his numbers downward. So I find it believable.

Comment

Ideally Moreno is our third down back and Montee takes over as our first and second down runner. I do like what I have been seeing from him lately, running, pass protecting, receiving. Montee runs hard, in the San Diego game I was shocked when he was tackled by his helmet in the backfield. Somehow I thought he was going to manage to break off and turn that negative play into a positive run.

Comment

I would like to see a few pitch plays for both backs, maybe something we are saving for the play-offs.

Comment

the occasional 2 baCK SET AS WELL!

Comment

I'd like to see more runs that aren't from the shotgun formation. Get the runner going downhill a little before handing off. That brings in play actions from under center into play. I've seen some successful passes/TDs out of that formation but they never seem to do it as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcow View Post
                    I'm sure the stats are correct, but Moreno also catches a lot of short passes. The stats probably aren't looking at "yards after the catch" as well. I'm just guessing since I didn't check the source.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
                      I'd like to see more runs that aren't from the shotgun formation. Get the runner going downhill a little before handing off. That brings in play actions from under center into play. I've seen some successful passes/TDs out of that formation but they never seem to do it as much.
                      PFM is RARELY under center, only in golaline situations, and BALL is almost always the back on those under center occasions.

Comment

Surprised Lacy doesn't show up on this he is a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
                          I would like to see a few pitch plays for both backs, maybe something we are saving for the play-offs.
                          Why? they don't have outside speed except for Hillman and he's benched. Inside runs are about all Moreno is capable of IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
                            the occasional 2 baCK SET AS WELL!
                            Why? The pass protection has been good and there is no reason to take J. Thomas or the 3rd WR out of the game. Even Caldwell came in and had 2 tds. The problem is all on defense.

Comment

Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
                              Surprised Lacy doesn't show up on this he is a beast.
                              stats/ schmats.
                              pointing out lacy's abscense is a strong indicator of the value of this article and the data it provides.
                              I have not looked at the list, but on 3rd and 2 which one of the top ten would you hand the ball to over lacy?

Comment

Working...
                              X