Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Well, I'm a convert. If you have time, sous vide is the best way to prepare a Steak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Well, I'm a convert. If you have time, sous vide is the best way to prepare a Steak.

I'll admit, I was skeptical at first. But, my sister got me one for Christmas. And after spending the better part of a year gather dust in my cabinets, the quarantine finally prompted me to break it out and give it a whirl.

So, one of the nice things about a sous vide is you can seal different herbs and seasons into the pouch to give different flavor profiles. This was my first attempt, so I just went a sprig of rosemary, a sprig of thyme, and one clove of crushed garlic in the pouch. With salt and pepper of course. I then set the sous vide to 130 degrees for two hours.

As you can see, my dog was a little skeptical of the entire process as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	prep.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	2668892

Once it is done, Remove the steak from the pouch and then pat it dry. Get a cast iron pan ripping hot and drizzle just a touch of oil in it. Then you do a normal reverse sear on each side for about 40 seconds. Just long enough to give it color and develop a nice crust. Rest for about 2 minutes and start carving in.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	sous vide.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	2668894

First effort for me and it was edge to edge perfectly cook medium rare. And the flavor was incredible. I'll try some other herb and spice combinations on my next steak. But, if you have the time, its well worth the effort.
    Last edited by v2micca; 07-27-2020, 01:00 PM.

Ya, I don't know about that. I say Air fryer. I have been cooking steaks for years. I have never, I mean never had anything close to this when it comes to caramelizing a steak.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice work to you both. I would opt for the sous vide personally both of those steaks look damn good.

Comment

air frying everything has been money so far. that looks amazing!

Comment

I need to bust out the sous vide again. I got one about a year ago, and used it two or three times. But I sort of lost interest. It did make killer pork chops, which I have never been able to keep from getting dry.

Comment

I love my sous vide! I do loads of things in it, but the best things are stuff like thicker cuts.. thick chicken breasts and thick pork chops, and pork tenderloin and stuff like that. And perfectly cooked eggs, altho your instant pot can do that too. For stuff that needs seared, I use a torch.

Comment

Only problem I had was with the prime rib (first thing I tried). The fat doesn't render, so the really fatty parts are too rubbery. That said, the meaty parts were amazing, and the French dip sandwiches I made for the next few days afterwords were awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by sgbfan View Post
                Only problem I had was with the prime rib (first thing I tried). The fat doesn't render, so the really fatty parts are too rubbery. That said, the meaty parts were amazing, and the French dip sandwiches I made for the next few days afterwords were awesome.
                Yeah, that is a limitation. You will need to finish with a reverse sear and make certain that fat cap gets seared nicely as well. However, if we are talking about a cut of meat that has a high level of very specific fat marbling throughout, I will concede that sous vide may not be the best option.

Comment

My sister was dating a chef for a while and he would always brine his steaks. Remove from pack, pat dry, cover in salt, cover and put in fridge for 15-20. Remove from fridge, salt should appear wet. Rinse under cold water. Pat dry. Cook however. Far and away best steak i ever had.

Comment

I have found that the Air Fryer puts a crust on a steak that is untouchable. I had a cook off with a guy that used a Himalayan salt block. He swore by it. Every single person picked my steak. The trick is use the rotisserie on max heat and make sure it to leave it in the fridge until cook time. Other wise it will over cook it before it's crust is done.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaMia View Post
                      My sister was dating a chef for a while and he would always brine his steaks. Remove from pack, pat dry, cover in salt, cover and put in fridge for 15-20. Remove from fridge, salt should appear wet. Rinse under cold water. Pat dry. Cook however. Far and away best steak i ever had.
                      It's amazing often people forget to wash the steak off after brining. It's happened multiple times where I've went to eat with friends and I take a bite and it's chewing a salt lick. I've always had to experiment with how long to leave it in the fridge to draw the moisture up

Comment

Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post
                        I have found that the Air Fryer puts a crust on a steak that is untouchable. I had a cook off with a guy that used a Himalayan salt block. He swore by it. Every single person picked my steak. The trick is use the rotisserie on max heat and make sure it to leave it in the fridge until cook time. Other wise it will over cook it before it's crust is done.
                        What if you have an air fryer without a rotisserie? Anyone used an air fryer for a crust after Sous Vide, or does it not get hot enough for that? Mine only goes to 450. I don't really have a good option for the crust after sous vide,I typically just fry it.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaMia View Post
                          Does he just salt one side, or both?

Comment

Originally posted by sgbfan View Post

What if you have an air fryer without a rotisserie? Anyone used an air fryer for a crust after Sous Vide, or does it not get hot enough for that? Mine only goes to 450. I don't really have a good option for the crust after sous vide,I typically just fry it.
                            I have also found steak W/o Rotisserie in an air fyer sucks. Sorry .
                            Last edited by Quoydogs; 07-29-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post

I have also found steak W/o Rotisserie in an air fyer sucks. Sorry .
                              I'll stick with my Sous Vide steaks, but need to get a grill or cast iron skillet to finish it off

Comment

Working...
                              X