What are you reading? (Book thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you reading? (Book thread)

Curious what my fellow Maners have been reading in their free time.

I’ve been devouring crime fiction for the past year. Knocked off a lot of the classics (Hammett, Chandler, Macdonald, Ellroy), some that I’ve read and some for the first time. Ellroy’ s awesome Underworld USA trilogy got me on a JFK conspiracy kick so I’m working my way through Don DeLillo’s “Libra” right now.

Finished Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, which was fantastic, and just finished the Murderbot series for fun. Interesting and very easy. Sort of the palate cleanser of sci-fi.

Comment

Iron Kingdom: The Rise & Downfall of Prussia 1600-1947 - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...KNTnhYl&rank=1

Comprehensive overview. I live in Germany so it's quite relevant (most people here no longer think about this history but I want to understand the psychology that lead to the disaster of the 20th century).

Also: Snow Crash - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40651883-snow-crash

A sci-fi classic.

Up next: The Spy and The Traitor - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nd-the-traitor

Supposed to be an unbelievable true story - "The celebrated author of A Spy Among Friends and Rogue Heroes returns with his greatest spy story yet, a thrilling Cold War-era tale of Oleg Gordievsky, the Russian whose secret work helped hasten the collapse of the Soviet Union."
      Last edited by Chris; 07-16-2020, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Mikovits book is highly recommended. She will change the way you think about viruses - and the pandemic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	2663104

Comment

Re-reading 1984 and Animal Farm right now. Finished god is not great by Christopher Hitchens just prior, so to read Why Orwell Matters. Finally read Fahrenheit 451, liked it so much i bought a collection of Bradbury’s best stories. Pandemics are a great time to read those selections you just don’t to get to normally...

on the second to last book in The Expanse series.... have had a hard timing getting through it for some reason, but love those books, show.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BF1A9012-1B5D-4315-9F3A-07EC29A9C245.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	2663154

Comment

Originally posted by B-Large View Post
              Re-reading 1984 and Animal Farm right now. Finished god is not great by Christopher Hitchens just prior, so to read Why Orwell Matters. Finally read Fahrenheit 451, liked it so much i bought a collection of Bradbury’s best stories. Pandemics are a great time to read those selections you just don’t to get to normally...

on the second to last book in The Expanse series.... have had a hard timing getting through it for some reason, but love those books, show.
              I tried watching the The Expanse show the first season and stopped after an episode or two then I gave it another chance a couple months ago and loved them. Thomas Jane is freakin fantastic in it. I'll have to give the books a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnykbr View Post
                Finished Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, which was fantastic, and just finished the Murderbot series for fun. Interesting and very easy. Sort of the palate cleanser of sci-fi.
                I love me some Hamilton. Pretty much everything he has written has been good.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

Also: Snow Crash - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40651883-snow-crash

A sci-fi classic.
                  Neal Stephenson is an interesting read. I loved Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash and Seveneves were pretty good also. The last book I read by him was Fall or Dodge in Hell. For the most part it was tough to get through but he had an interesting take on how social media influences our reality and how extreme it could get.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Monkey View Post

Neal Stephenson is an interesting read. I loved Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash and Seveneves were pretty good also. The last book I read by him was Fall or Dodge in Hell. For the most part it was tough to get through but he had an interesting take on how social media influences our reality and how extreme it could get.
                    I liked Cryptonomicon, too. But I would have liked it a lot more were it not entirely written in such annoying present tense. Gack.

Comment

Ted Naiman's P:E diet. Execellent. And I couldn't help myself, the Trump niece book. I read the free preview and found it fascinating. She can really write and has a great understanding of psychology. What a crazy family.

Comment

Originally posted by yerner View Post
                        Ted Naiman's P:E diet. Execellent. And I couldn't help myself, the Trump niece book. I read the free preview and found it fascinating. She can really write and has a great understanding of psychology. What a crazy family.
                        What's the non-media summary of the book?

Comment

I just ran back through 4 of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books.

Comment

'Hegemony or Survival' by Noam Chomsky.
                            'The Culture Map' by Erin Meyer
                            'So You've Been Publicly Shamed' by Jon Ronson
                            "Reactionary Democracy" by Aurelien Mondon and Aaron Winter

I'm also reading the 'sword of truth' series for some escapism.

Comment

Tough Trip Through Paradise 1878-1879

Author: Andrew Garcia

Comment

Working...
                              X