No announcement yet.

Looking for input on the Running game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for input on the Running game.

Anyone have some input on the running game? Hoping there can be some intellectual analysis of our line and backs here.

Thursday night was almost as brutal on offense as it was on D… Our O-line looked weak against the Chargers, especially on the left side and up the middle. Our two RBs combined for 11 attempts and 18 yards. Ball only got 3 carries for -1 yard, where on two of his carries he was hit behind the line of scrimmage. Moreno faired better with his 8 carries getting a grand total of 19 yards.

It seems to me that Ball has shown some ability in the prior couple games to really push for a few more yards when he can at least get to the line with the rock. Only 3 attempts seemed really low. Granted we had 4 3 and outs in a row, but should there be a more concerted effort to focus on the ground game? Would we have kept a little more pressure off PFM if we had given Moreno and Ball a few more carries, even if they resulted in the same 3 and outs? Moreno carried the ball twice during those fours series for a combined 2 yards.

In NE, I thought our biggest problem was relying too much on the run. Did we have the opposite problem Sunday or was it just the nature of the beast? That being a Defense that couldn't stop a turtle on roller scares while letting the Chargers eat up a majority of the clock. It seems like RBs need to sometimes get in a rhythm as well to be able to produce good yardage for your team. Hard to see Ball get any rhythm when he only got three attempts.

Thoughts?

Run game was a disappointment, and a concern, after looking so much better the prior couple of weeks. Need some running game to slow the pass rush and make play action more effective. Also concerning that it appears teams have figured out our WR screens that had been so successful.

Comment

we only ran the ball 11 times, the ENTIRE game !
      How about we start with commitment to the run, and practice time devoted to the run?
      it was a short week, I think everyone at dove valley just expected PFM to win the game for us.
      the" PFM is better than whiney rivers" MENTALITY dictated their effort and attitude.
      well a former bronco coach who understood that "peyton is our hero" mentality ran the ball 44 times and made our entire team look pathetic !

For the rest of this season's campaign our success will be defined NOT by the performance of PFM, but by our ability to run the ball and stop the run.

Our opponents now know that, lets hope our coaches do too !

Comment

I'd like to see a switch made...

Ball in my eyes looks like the better pure runner for 1st and 2nd down. The 3 for -1 was skewed by a helmet tackle that should have been a 15 yard personal foul (wasn't called) and instead resulted in a loss of 6. Start him and use Moreno as the 3rd down back for his blocking and catching ability (also to give Ball a breather as needed).

Comment

Originally posted by OldschoolFreak View Post

Ball in my eyes looks like the better pure runner for 1st and 2nd down. The 3 for -1 was skewed by a helmet tackle that should have been a 15 yard personal foul (wasn't called) and instead resulted in a loss of 6. Start him and use Moreno as the 3rd down back for his blocking and catching ability (also to give Ball a breather as needed).
          I think that's what the Broncos were hoping for all along after drafting Montee Ball.

We may see it in the last couple of weeks and into the playoffs.

Comment

I blame it on Champ Bailey.

Comment

Ball is NOT the starter for a reason!
              the same reason at the start of the season as it is now 16 weeks later.
              he cant protect PFM !
              his ability to run the ball is irrelevant if he cant read blitzes and make effective blocks !
              and its obvious to me that BALL does not know the play-book ! it was the reason for his early season fumbles, its the reason why he did not know where to line up and the reason why we only run our goalline package when ball is in, even when we are on our OWN 5 yard line ! the formations, personnel, and play calls are RESTRICTED when BALL is on the field !

continued comments about Balls running prowess are MOOT !
              protect manning, job #1 !
              thank god we have MORENO!

the guy who should win most improved / comeback player of the year, and the guy who is easily our second most valuable player on the entire team !

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                Run game was a disappointment, and a concern, after looking so much better the prior couple of weeks. Need some running game to slow the pass rush and make play action more effective. Also concerning that it appears teams have figured out our WR screens that had been so successful.
                BINGO !

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
                  I think that's what the Broncos were hoping for all along after drafting Montee Ball.

We may see it in the last couple of weeks and into the playoffs.
                  ... and after drafting hillman.
                  But once again I think our O is at its best when KM is standing next to PFM, because then the D has to respect both run and pass.
                  and we can rely on KM to protect PFM
                  and PFM will not be limited by what he can call because he does not have adequate protection.
                  KM, run the ball 20 times, caTCH THE BALL 10 TIMES,
                  WE DO THAT i THINK WE HAVE A RECIPE FOR VICTORY.
                  for now BALL is just the icing, he aint the cake !

Comment

I think this is what the coaches had in mind in TC, but right now, Moreno is firmly established as the starting RB. Continuity is a big thing with this offense. I just don't see that happening until next off-season at the earliest.

Comment

The Chargers shed blocks like a Dog on a hot summer's day. We got outmuscled and out tecniqued on that day, Offensively and Defensively on the lines.....

Comment

No disagreement here that Knowshon has done a great job this year overall. But as a runner he does leave something to be desired; far too many 1-3 yard gains on first down.

The play action IS key and actually being able to grind out yardage with the running game. That's why Ball seems like he's earned a look as the starter to me. Give me more of those 2nd and 3s please.

In terms of his lack of ability to pick up the blitz, I've heard that refrain a bunch but haven't really noticed any serious shortcomings lately. The last blown blitz pickup by a RB that resulted in a sack that I can remember was #27.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                          The 3-out where Holliday fair caught at the 6 was a real killer. They got it to 3rd and two and Passed. ( sack at the 2). I thought that was a bad call and run might have got it, especially a left pitch. Just bad selection of plays , early and often. Went away from the run way too much .

If you can't run the PA doesn't work well either.

Comment

It appears to me that we are calling running plays when the other teams expect it, There is zero surprise that it is coming when it does. Our play calling has to be changed up soe to keep the opposing defenses guessing a little bit.

Comment

No disagreement here that Knowshon has done a great job this year overall. But as a runner he does leave something to be desired; far too many 1-3 yard gains on first down.

The play action IS key and actually being able to grind out yardage with the running game. That's why Ball seems like he's earned a look as the starter to me. Give me more of those 2nd and 3s please.

In terms of his lack of ability to pick up the blitz, I've heard that refrain a bunch but haven't really noticed any serious shortcomings lately. The last blown blitz pickup by a RB that resulted in a sack that I can remember was #27.
                              Ball and Knowshon have almost identical YPC at this point....They both have more than their Fair share of 1-3 yarders. You want to assign blame, watch Beadles get destroyed on a play by play basis. Clark is also weaker in the run game. Not to mention, I am tired of half the run plays being draws.

Comment

Working...
                              X