Any WW2 aficionados here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any WW2 aficionados here?

I've been fascinated with the period for about 20 years after seeing Saving Private Ryan. But what was almost cool for a young man is now a period of avoidable horror. Still, it continues to capture my imagination.

This article on the (mainly British) failures during Operation Market Garden has a lot of new info and the book is by Antony Beevor who wrote the famous book on Stalingrad of the same name

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/202...m-botch-rhine/

Also, if you just want to nerd out on it, this YT channel is insanely good, like the history channel in the 90s (so I hear, I didn't live in the US at the time) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfC...1-fxyotS1ONgww

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I've been fascinated with the period for about 20 years after seeing Saving Private Ryan. But what was almost cool for a young man is now a period of avoidable horror. Still, it continues to capture my imagination.

This article on the (mainly British) failures during Operation Market Garden has a lot of new info and the book is by Antony Beevor who wrote the famous book on Stalingrad of the same name

Also, if you just want to nerd out on it, this YT channel is insanely good, like the history channel in the 90s (so I hear, I didn't live in the US at the time) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfC...1-fxyotS1ONgww
    If you want to watch something really cool, watch this. It is a bit long but it is really fascinating. It is about the battle of Midway from the Japanese perspective. It really is good and it gets quite detailed.

I do get into history. I know there is a lot of rewriting going on now by groups with agendas. Almost pitting us as the "bad guy" and the Japanese as some victim of American white capitalist bullying.

The Japanese tactics and brutality in many ways made the nazis look like choir boys. They committed mass genocide in Nanking and the level of cruelty is beyond explanation.

This should never be forgotten, but it is and perhaps someone can figure out why that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoblood32 View Post

If you want to watch something really cool, watch this. It is a bit long but it is really fascinating. It is about the battle of Midway from the Japanese perspective. It really is good and it gets quite detailed.

I do get into history. I know there is a lot of rewriting going on now by groups with agendas. Almost pitting us as the "bad guy" and the Japanese as some victim of American white capitalist bullying.

The Japanese tactics and brutality in many ways made the nazis look like choir boys. They committed mass genocide in Nanking and the level of cruelty is beyond explanation.

This should never be forgotten, but it is and perhaps someone can figure out why that is.

Very interesting thanks. I grew up in Hong Kong with a helper that as a young philippina child lived in a cave for several years in the war. She told me how her uncle was Tied to a post and covered in honey while the ants chewed at him until he died. She also told me about Japanese soldiers throwing babies up and bayoneting them for sport. They weren’t much better in Hong Kong either. One time I was playing in a mountain and one of the kids found a Japanese pistol in the grass. Crazy ****, so yes, was well aware of their brutal sadism. And then America kicked their ass. Still proud of that. The difference with the Nazis (who also raped and murdered tons of civilians in addition to the Holocaust) is that they industrialised their murder.

Comment

all pointless revisionist history anyway. Hitler wanted Russia and nothing more.
        all countries sending boys to war against their will, like slaves.Thats the tragedy.
        brainwashing the ignorant masses to hate other countries,... yeah lol thank you for your service.
        war is designed by the elite to cull the population. Exactly whats happening right now while you worrying about useless masks

Comment

Very interesting thanks. I grew up in Hong Kong with a helper that as a young philippina child lived in a cave for several years in the war. She told me how her uncle was Tied to a post and covered in honey while the ants chewed at him until he died. She also told me about Japanese soldiers throwing babies up and bayoneting them for sport. They weren’t much better in Hong Kong either. One time I was playing in a mountain and one of the kids found a Japanese pistol in the grass. Crazy ****, so yes, was well aware of their brutal sadism. And then America kicked their ass. Still proud of that. The difference with the Nazis (who also raped and murdered tons of civilians in addition to the Holocaust) is that they industrialised their murder.
          Let know what you think of that analysis of the Battle of Midway. If you have not seen it yet, I highly recommend it.

Especially the analysis of Nagumo's dilemma. That 15 minute window to make that crucial decision and how the fog of war is so daunting.

Comment

So, you are an aficionado of world war? Sounds kind of creepy.

Seriously, here are 2 highly recommended books that will help you transcend all of the bs that's been shoved down our throat.

These are two of our best WWII historians.

Click image for larger version  Name:	51GE3S9YXML._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	2632048

Click image for larger version  Name:	416igr5mivL._SY346_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.4 KB ID:	2632049

Comment

Originally posted by ram29jackson View Post
              all pointless revisionist history anyway. Hitler wanted Russia and nothing more.
              all countries sending boys to war against their will, like slaves.Thats the tragedy.
              brainwashing the ignorant masses to hate other countries,... yeah lol thank you for your service.
              war is designed by the elite to cull the population. Exactly whats happening right now while you worrying about useless masks
              Everyone should read:
              War is a Racket: The Antiwar Classic by America's Most Decorated Soldier
              Super quick read but very powerful.
              Free digital copy here: https://ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.html

Up to and including the Spanish-American War, we had a prize system, and soldiers and sailors fought for money. During the Civil War they were paid bonuses, in many instances, before they went into service. The government, or states, paid as high as $1,200 for an enlistment. In the Spanish-American War they gave prize money. When we captured any vessels, the soldiers all got their share -- at least, they were supposed to. Then it was found that we could reduce the cost of wars by taking all the prize money and keeping it, but conscripting [drafting] the soldier anyway. Then soldiers couldn't bargain for their labor, Everyone else could bargain, but the soldier couldn't.
              Napoleon once said,
              "All men are enamored of decorations . . . they positively hunger for them."
              So by developing the Napoleonic system -- the medal business -- the government learned it could get soldiers for less money, because the boys liked to be decorated. Until the Civil War there were no medals. Then the Congressional Medal of Honor was handed out. It made enlistments easier. After the Civil War no new medals were issued until the Spanish-American War.
              In the World War, we used propaganda to make the boys accept conscription. They were made to feel ashamed if they didn't join the army.
              So vicious was this war propaganda that even God was brought into it. With few exceptions our clergymen joined in the clamor to kill, kill, kill. To kill the Germans. God is on our side . . . it is His will that the Germans be killed.
              And in Germany, the good pastors called upon the Germans to kill the allies . . . to please the same God. That was a part of the general propaganda, built up to make people war conscious and murder conscious.
              Beautiful ideals were painted for our boys who were sent out to die. This was the "war to end all wars." This was the "war to make the world safe for democracy." No one mentioned to them, as they marched away, that their going and their dying would mean huge war profits. No one told these American soldiers that they might be shot down by bullets made by their own brothers here. No one told them that the ships on which they were going to cross might be torpedoed by submarines built with United States patents. They were just told it was to be a "glorious adventure."
              Click image for larger version

Name:	51SbT32oOuL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	2632051

Comment

Originally posted by GoneFishin' View Post

Everyone should read:

great book.

Comment

From Major's Jordan's Diaries
                  This one is good too. He journaled all the stuff the US shipped to Russia after WWII under lend-lease. They sent everything needed to create atomic bombs, weapons, vehicles,treasury plates so the Soviets could print as many american dollars as they could print. He didn't realize what was going on but based off all the raw materials he witnessed being shipped to Russia he got suspicious and started writing down everything that was being sent. Amazing. They used WWII to build up the Soviet Union and this is one piece of history that shows the Cold War was created before it even started. He eventually testified before Congress on what he witnessed.

Name:	51fRqpuQIUL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	2632058

Comment

I LOVE WWII history. I've read several books and I have seen some of the videos you posted. The Midway video is great! Had seen it before, but it's a really good breakdown of exactly what was happening when....

Rise and Fall of the Third Riech is a book I highly reccomend....more about Hitler than the war, but A LOT in there about the war etc.

Also, if you really dork out on this stuff...go to youtube and search for US WAR COLLEGE lectures about WWII....really good stuff there.

Lastly....I play a WWII simulation called Hearts of Iron III (with a mod called Black Ice) .....really involved, micromanagment type game. I play as Japan usually. The AI is pretty good, but would love to play this against a human....if anyone here happens to play it. (probalby not, pretty niche game)

Comment

There's a book called The Rape of Nanking where it tells the story of the Japanese atrocities in that city... if you want to know how wicked the human heart is, read that book...

Comment

Originally posted by ram29jackson View Post
                        Oh great, yet another Conspiracy Theorist on this site. You know, there's just too many now for it to be coincidence. Probably just another TJ account, lol.

I think you think you're some kind of expert on almost anything. Hitler established an early hatred in the early 1920's for Jews. It's right there in his 'Mein Kampf'. He hated Jews before he hated Russia.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out. Military history is always very interesting to me.

If you're interested in an entertaining video about an even more screwed up operation (though not WWII), check out this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Last edited by Old Dude; 05-20-2020, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post

Oh great, yet another Conspiracy Theorist on this site. You know, there's just too many now for it to be coincidence. Probably just another TJ account, lol.

I think you think you're some kind of expert on almost anything. Hitler established an early hatred in the early 1920's for Jews. It's right there in his 'Mein Kampf'. He hated Jews before he hated Russia.
                            wheres the theory part? thats exactly what war does and exactly what its designed for.
                            do rulers and presidents ever die in wars? nope. They all are fine with each other. They eat ,drink and be merry as they send us to slaughter.
                            thats not theory.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneFishin' View Post

Everyone should read:

interesting.
                              I cant give rep on pc or phone.

Comment

Working...
                              X