Broncos Film Study on Youtube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Film Study on Youtube

Thought I'd share Cody Roark's channel which is dedicated to Broncos analysis. I found it on accident and have been enjoying it, so here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8K...6JDT7fw/videos

Here's a few sample videos:

On Locks first play....Mr. Roark reviews that a bit more generously than I would. Coming out of the play fake, Lock turns back around, and has no one in his face at all, the pressure isn't there yet, and isn't close. This would be a great example of a contrast between Stidham film and Lock here....Stidham, coming off of play action is throwing that ball at this point in the play. Furthermore....Lock being a rookie...it's understandable, but coming out of that fake, the right reed is Sutton, who has man coverage, running up the sideline. This play is also a GREAT example of the "see it throw it" issue Lock has. Look at 1:26, this is when Lock has come out of the fake and is now turned around, clean, and should be delivering the pass. Fants man is still well to the inside so a good anticipation of the cut here should allow Fant a clean catch and run (wich ends up happening as Joseph recovers and goes for the int and misses) ...but Lock waits to see him cut. Joseph recovers, in fact, Joseph ends up being OUTSIDE of fant by the time Lock decides to throw this. This is just as close to being a pick 6 as it is a good catch with alot of YAC. He got away with this one.

The second pass play he reviews is a good example of what Lock brings to the table that you want...he is able to drift back in the pocket as pressure starts to come and has the arm strength to get a strong pass off to the single covered target. This is would be a good example of what a guy like Stidham Can't do well. This is also the kind of play that you need to convert a first down here or there...makes the diffrence in a game between a punt and getting 3, or from settling for 3 to getting that 7 on the board. Roark calls it great anticipation....it's not. The TE has already cut and has taken 3-4 steps toward the sideline before Lock lets it go. That's fine in this case, becuase Lock was able to drift back a little and still get mustard on this without getting his feet set. IF he were anticipating this, he would have set and thrown a full second and half before he did, to the TE as he is making his break. Stidham, for example, can't make this play.

The pass play in the red zone, where Lock takes the snap and is looking at Sutton, knowing it's an out route....roark says "he threw it away". WTF! ....no...he watied until way after Sutton had cut to throw, allowing the defenders to contest the throw. If Lock trusted his arm and his target and his eyes, he would throw this, anticipating the cut, Sutton comes out of the cut OPEN. The two high players are still far off when the cut is made and at the time of the cut, Sutton gets good separation from his man. This should be a completion. As it is...Lock waits until Sutton has made the cut and taken a few steps....this allows the two high players to converge, and and for suttons man defender to catch back up. the throw is easily contested. This is a great example of what Lock does several times a game that costs his team catches and yards. This is why I don't think you are going to get the max out of Juedy. Juedy gains advantages with his cuts and routes. Lock will negate alot of it.

On the wide screen to Lindsay......this is a good Lock play. he can zing it over there in a hurry..and getting the ball out there fast makes or breaks that play. This has been a staple at MIZ for 20 years.

On the TD, this is optimal Lock. Single coverage on the TE...running the seam route, two high safties. Lock has a clean pocket, sets and throws a freaking laser, right on target, beating decent man coverage and with more than enough zip on it that the over the top safeties have no chance to help. Lock does this at an elite level. He always has....it's his best throw. It's the kind of play you look at that makes you believe he could be an elite NFL QB.

I'd run nothing but verts and slants and screens with Lock...you maximize his ability this way. He's not that fast to read the field on PA, and he doesn't antcipate cuts, and curls well at all, negating the advantages gained by those routes.

If Lock could ever become a QB that could throw those, he could become elite. As it is, he's limited in that area. You can win with him....he can even win you a game or 2 with his ability to make plays off script or big chunks on linear routes downfield. He will cost you with INTS on timing stuff, incompletions on contested throws, and missed YAC on throws that might have arrived sooner when there was separation.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerovoltz View Post
      On Locks first play....Mr. Roark reviews that a bit more generously than I would. Coming out of the play fake, Lock turns back around, and has no one in his face at all, the pressure isn't there yet, and isn't close. This would be a great example of a contrast between Stidham film and Lock here....Stidham, coming off of play action is throwing that ball at this point in the play. Furthermore....Lock being a rookie...it's understandable, but coming out of that fake, the right reed is Sutton, who has man coverage, running up the sideline. This play is also a GREAT example of the "see it throw it" issue Lock has. Look at 1:26, this is when Lock has come out of the fake and is now turned around, clean, and should be delivering the pass. Fants man is still well to the inside so a good anticipation of the cut here should allow Fant a clean catch and run (wich ends up happening as Joseph recovers and goes for the int and misses) ...but Lock waits to see him cut. Joseph recovers, in fact, Joseph ends up being OUTSIDE of fant by the time Lock decides to throw this. This is just as close to being a pick 6 as it is a good catch with alot of YAC. He got away with this one.

The second pass play he reviews is a good example of what Lock brings to the table that you want...he is able to drift back in the pocket as pressure starts to come and has the arm strength to get a strong pass off to the single covered target. This is would be a good example of what a guy like Stidham Can't do well. This is also the kind of play that you need to convert a first down here or there...makes the diffrence in a game between a punt and getting 3, or from settling for 3 to getting that 7 on the board. Roark calls it great anticipation....it's not. The TE has already cut and has taken 3-4 steps toward the sideline before Lock lets it go. That's fine in this case, becuase Lock was able to drift back a little and still get mustard on this without getting his feet set. IF he were anticipating this, he would have set and thrown a full second and half before he did, to the TE as he is making his break. Stidham, for example, can't make this play.

The pass play in the red zone, where Lock takes the snap and is looking at Sutton, knowing it's an out route....roark says "he threw it away". WTF! ....no...he watied until way after Sutton had cut to throw, allowing the defenders to contest the throw. If Lock trusted his arm and his target and his eyes, he would throw this, anticipating the cut, Sutton comes out of the cut OPEN. The two high players are still far off when the cut is made and at the time of the cut, Sutton gets good separation from his man. This should be a completion. As it is...Lock waits until Sutton has made the cut and taken a few steps....this allows the two high players to converge, and and for suttons man defender to catch back up. the throw is easily contested. This is a great example of what Lock does several times a game that costs his team catches and yards. This is why I don't think you are going to get the max out of Juedy. Juedy gains advantages with his cuts and routes. Lock will negate alot of it.

On the wide screen to Lindsay......this is a good Lock play. he can zing it over there in a hurry..and getting the ball out there fast makes or breaks that play. This has been a staple at MIZ for 20 years.

On the TD, this is optimal Lock. Single coverage on the TE...running the seam route, two high safties. Lock has a clean pocket, sets and throws a freaking laser, right on target, beating decent man coverage and with more than enough zip on it that the over the top safeties have no chance to help. Lock does this at an elite level. He always has....it's his best throw. It's the kind of play you look at that makes you believe he could be an elite NFL QB.

I'd run nothing but verts and slants and screens with Lock...you maximize his ability this way. He's not that fast to read the field on PA, and he doesn't antcipate cuts, and curls well at all, negating the advantages gained by those routes.

If Lock could ever become a QB that could throw those, he could become elite. As it is, he's limited in that area. You can win with him....he can even win you a game or 2 with his ability to make plays off script or big chunks on linear routes downfield. He will cost you with INTS on timing stuff, incompletions on contested throws, and missed YAC on throws that might have arrived sooner when there was separation.
      Do you actually expect anyone to read 7 paragraphs where you are just going troll about Lock?

Comment

Originally posted by sgbfan View Post

Do you actually expect anyone to read 7 paragraphs where you are just going troll about Lock?
        If you had read it....I acknowledge what lock does very well and I also point out what he doesn't do well....it's not just a novel about "Lock Sucks".

Comment

If you had read it....I acknowledge what lock does very well and I also point out what he doesn't do well....it's not just a novel about "Lock Sucks".
          Nah. Not interested in reading your troll attempts... "Lock can throw deep, but can't anticipate, yada yada..." I've seen enough of your troll posts to know what you are going to say.

Comment

Please go away Zero. I was just trying to share an interesting Youtube channel for Bronco fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
              Please go away Zero. I was just trying to share an interesting Youtube channel for Bronco fans.
              You succeeded. It looks like your thread is getting a good number of views from the fine people here.

Comment

Thought I'd share Cody Roark's channel which is dedicated to Broncos analysis. I found it on accident and have been enjoying it, so here you go:

It’s crazy how much he sounds like Adam Schefter.
                Also funny how Lock throws open receivers a number of times on one drive, yet I was told here that he couldn’t do that. L. O. L.

Comment

I disagree with his assessment of the illegal block in the back. It was above the waist, Bolles didn't have both his hands on the side of the player. The defender didn't turn immediately before contact, he was already turned when Bolles pushed him, and it was away from the line of scrimmage. I do question how often that block is made, and how often it actually gets called, but looked like a text book illegal block in the back to me...

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post

It’s crazy how much he sounds like Adam Schefter.
                    Also funny how Lock throws open receivers a number of times on one drive, yet I was told here that he couldn’t do that. L. O. L.
                    what are you talking about here?

Comment

I cannot listen to this with volume because of work, but I can respond to your post and why it is wrong. No clue if Roark is right or wrong or not.

So....

1. You say he should have had fant right away, which to your credit, is correct. Fant was more open initially.

2. You are wrong in saying he did not anticipate Fant.

3. In the post game interview of this game- Drew said the first read was to the WR DEEPER Down the field. Drew was trying to hit him and go there, but the guy was covered. The Saftey broke off or didnt break off or something. I do not remember what Drew said that the defender did. The defender did something to make Drew go to the 2nd read.

4. Drew was able to run, read the d and then move to his second read, and throw a bullet with the pressure less than half a second away and still get it to the inside where he wanted to throw it. Thank god he was accurate enough too. If he was not accurate that is a pick 6.

5. So what is it. Drew did not anticipate and got away with one.......Or He read the defense, avoided pressure, stood on the tracks with the train coming in and threw accurately so not as to have a pick 6?

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post

I cannot listen to this with volume because of work, but I can respond to your post and why it is wrong. No clue if Roark is right or wrong or not.

So....

1. You say he should have had fant right away, which to your credit, is correct. Fant was more open initially.

2. You are wrong in saying he did not anticipate Fant.

3. In the post game interview of this game- Drew said the first read was to the WR DEEPER Down the field. Drew was trying to hit him and go there, but the guy was covered. The Saftey broke off or didnt break off or something. I do not remember what Drew said that the defender did. The defender did something to make Drew go to the 2nd read.

4. Drew was able to run, read the d and then move to his second read, and throw a bullet with the pressure less than half a second away and still get it to the inside where he wanted to throw it. Thank god he was accurate enough too. If he was not accurate that is a pick 6.

5. So what is it. Drew did not anticipate and got away with one.......Or He read the defense, avoided pressure, stood on the tracks with the train coming in and threw accurately so not as to have a pick 6?

Roark doesn't mention that the first reed to Sutton going deep is the correct read....his comentary concentrates on Lock making the throw under heavy presure and he credits Fant for "boxing out" the defender. I'll entertain that it's possible Fant was aware enough of where the defender was to box him out......but that's a bit of a stretch...when fant makes the cut to the outside, the defender is a good 2 yards to the inside...by the time Lock decides to throw this...the defender has not only recovered, he is actually to the outside of fant....the defender is set up to make a play on the ball because he has jumped this out route at this point. He nearly makes the pick....and again...maybe Fant knew where he was and used his body to fend off the defender....I would implore you to watch the play again in slow motion and count the seconds from the time Lock turns back around after the play fake, to the time he throws. It's interesting Lock says he saw something making him think Sutton wasn't the right throw...he was single covered running down the sideline.....and if that is the case, he takes a good long time to decide to go to Fant....again, initially, he had time. The only other thing Roark comments on here where he is correct is that Lock correctly did not opt for the check down to the back. That would have been stopped for a loss/no gain.

Comment

In the Texans game, Lock threw a dime to 81 from his endzone 40 yards down the left sideline. Drop it in . Awesome throw.

Comment

Every QB even Mahomes has big plays that should have went the other way but the D didnt make the play.

Comment

One of Aga's best posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X