Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Elway - The Greatest NFL Player / GM Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Elway - The Greatest NFL Player / GM Ever?

John Elway - Greatest NFL Player/GM In History?
    I believe John Elway is one of the two best NFL Player / GMs in history, but I believe he will be #1....by the time he is finished. Ozzie Newsome, was also a GREAT player / GM, and to this juncture earns more Executive points based on his excellent career in management.

Lets look at the resumes:

Elway:

Player:

- Hall of Famer
    - One of the top QBs to ever play the game
    - 2 SB championships
    - SB MVP
    - 5 SB appearances
    - League MVP
    - 9 Pro Bowls
    - 1 All Pro (first team), 2 All Pro (second team)
    - Man of The Year

GM:

- 2 SB appearances
    - 1 SB championship
    - 5 playoff appearances in 9 years
    - Team looks ready for another playoff run

Newsome

Player:

- Hall of Fame
    - Top 10 Tight End
    - Retired as All Time TE Receiver
    - 3 Pro Bowls
    - 2 All Pro (first team), 4 All Pro (second team)

GM:

- 2 SB championships
    - 5 years in Cleveland's Executive
    - 23 years as Exec/GM in Baltimore
    - 12 playoff appearances in 28 years
    - Respected for his draft skills/strategy

Comparisons:

Elway was the more important player, and was highly successful in terms of SB appearances and victories! Given he is often ranked in the top 5 of all time best QBs (many in the top 3), the most important position on the field, he gets a chunk of extra points. Newsome was a fantastic Tight End, and made his mark as a top 10 TE of all time. Nothing shabby, and like Elway, a deserved Hall of Famer!

Newsome has the much lengthier, better Exec/GM career thus far in terms of success and longevity. He became an Exec for The Browns in 1991, and in 1996 he became an Exec and eventual GM for The Ravens. He won 2 SBs in that capacity.

Elway has had 9 years to shine as a GM, after having an extensive business career following his playing days. In that limited time, he has helped the team to make 2 SB appearances, while winning one. Therefore he has played a major role in all 3 Broncos SB Championships, as well as being an integral factor in The Broncos making it to the big game on 7 occasions! From a SB perspective, Elway has easily outperformed Newsome. And as one of the best QBs to ever walk this planet, that is a decided edge, though Ozzie was a star player in his own right. But the reason this is even close, is the duration and relative success of Newsome as an Exec.

Overall, I can see how Elway is #1 all time, as Player/ Exec...but lets give him a few years to see what else he can produce.

BUT....if not now, and the way The Broncos look on paper, I suspect another SB appearance is a real possibility....maybe a win. Maybe two!! Therefore if John is not #1 now, I am convinced he will be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

What are your thoughts? Did I miss someone obvious??

greatest bronco ever.

John Elway is the vince lombardi of the denver broncos.

Comment

definitely

Comment

ozzie newsom line one.
        john lynch, in the elevator.

Comment

I loved Elway the quarterback, but I am still reluctant to call him a great GM.

To me, the Vance Joseph debacle heads the list. The failure to procure a franchise quarterback is a close second. His first several drafts did not go well, either.

I think the last couple of drafts have been better. I like Fangio as our HC. Lock may finally be the answer at quarterback. So, I think Elway is learning and improving as a GM.

I would honestly say (at this point in time) that Ozzie Newsome was the better GM and Elway was the better player. That makes them both equal in terms of best player/GM combo. If things continue to go well in SF, John Lynch should also be included in this argument.

Comment

Elway, da' best evah!!!

Comment

If Lock turns out to be the real deal I don't see how Elway can't be number one.

People will even forget the notion Elway was bad at drafting QBs since it took him 3 legitimate swings to find one.

Comment

Best player yes, he has a long long ways to go before he can even be called a good GM. You think his two best categories would be O-line and QB. If he wouldn't have brought Peyton in I don't think he would have a job right now . His ego gets in his way when it comes to bad players. Love me some John the player not sold on John the GM. Although does seem to be getting better.

Comment

Also have to consider that Elway would have 2 SB wins vs 1 for Newsome if not for Vinovichgate.

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
                    I loved Elway the quarterback, but I am still reluctant to call him a great GM.

To me, the Vance Joseph debacle heads the list. The failure to procure a franchise quarterback is a close second. His first several drafts did not go well, either.

I think the last couple of drafts have been better. I like Fangio as our HC. Lock may finally be the answer at quarterback. So, I think Elway is learning and improving as a GM.

I would honestly say (at this point in time) that Ozzie Newsome was the better GM and Elway was the better player. That makes them both equal in terms of best player/GM combo. If things continue to go well in SF, John Lynch should also be included in this argument.
                    It looks like he might be 1/2 on franchise QBs. That would be an amazing success rate.

Comment

The Duke: I’m blessed to have seen his whole career, start to finish.
                      I’ve got no problem saying this: I love having this guy as our GM.
                      And screw these people that call him a drunk.
                      Has he been perfect in his calls......?

I’m very very happy with all the Lombardi’s.

Very.

Comment

Originally posted by jutang View Post
                        If Lock turns out to be the real deal I don't see how Elway can't be number one.

People will even forget the notion Elway was bad at drafting QBs since it took him 3 legitimate swings to find one.
                        Siemian was a legitimate swing? Or am I missing someone?

Comment

Originally posted by itswutz4dinna View Post

It looks like he might be 1/2 on franchise QBs. That would be an amazing success rate.
                          Not quite.

Misses: Sanchez, Siemian, Lynch, Keenum, and Flacco all acquired to be the franchise quarterback.

Hits: Manning and possibly Lock
                          Last edited by qbronco; 05-15-2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Not quite.

Misses: Sanchez, Siemian, Lynch, Keenum all acquired to be the franchise quarterback.

Well no, none of those guys were attempts at a franchise QB; they were all bridges.

But even then, 4/7 years is pretty damn good. Newsome took 23 years to find a good QB.

Comment

Not quite.

Misses: Sanchez, Siemian, Lynch, Keenum, and Flacco all acquired to be the franchise quarterback.

Sanchez was a stop gap.
                              Keenum was never to be a franchise QB. Look at the contract he signed
                              Flacco was a stop gap
                              Siemian was a 6th rounder. Please

The misses are clearly Oz and Lynch

Hits are Lock and Manning

Comment

Working...
                              X