X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "RUN Commitment "

what do these words mean to you/
    to the broncos?
    to the league, and more specifically, our division ?

Gotta get my mind off politics, help me out here people, do it for the youngsters !

What is "run commitment " in the 2020 NFL ?

25 rushing attempts per game. More if we have a lead and are trying to run out the clock. Less if we are down points and trying to conserve the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
      25 rushing attempts per game. More if we have a lead and are trying to run out the clock. Less if we are down points and trying to conserve the clock.
      I see a typical game being about 60 offensive plays per team.
      your target of 25 is right around the 2019 norm I am guessing.

To get to 25, do you have to run at least 10 times in the first half ?

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
        what if you have a QB who is a viable THREAT to run the ball ?
        ravens
        texans
        bills
        titans
        how many times should they plan on running the ball given that norm of 60 offensive plays ?

Comment

It's not a number...it's the tendency to not abandon it when things aren't going your way. You can't come out and run on first, pick up 2, and then pass + pass every time. A commitment to the run is a commitment to stick with it as a major part of your offense, good times and bad.

Similarly, I don't care how many times the QB runs. All I care about is they can take off when things break down and pick up 2-3+ critical first downs. The last thing I want is a QB who looks to run...rather give me a QB who runs and runs well when it's needed. So basically JFE.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jasole View Post
            It's not a number...it's the tendency to not abandon it when things aren't going your way. You can't come out and run on first, pick up 2, and then pass + pass every time. A commitment to the run is a commitment to stick with it as a major part of your offense, good times and bad.

Similarly, I don't care how many times the QB runs. All I care about is they can take off when things break down and pick up 2-3+ critical first downs. The last thing I want is a QB who looks to run...rather give me a QB who runs and runs well when it's needed. So basically JFE.
            Agree - it's a mindset that you'll give the offensive line a mandate to impose their will on the defense. You want WR's blocking with the same ferocity as Rod Smith or Hines Ward. Nobody takes the play off. You stay with it until their defense gets tired of stopping it in the 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jasole View Post

we could have beers together.

Comment

there is a reason why it is called "commitment"
                and not "target'
                or "concept"

running the ball , first, early and often, is indeed a commitment.

ask steve young what he thinks about today's running QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by Samiwindr View Post

Agree - it's a mindset that you'll give the offensive line a mandate to impose their will on the defense. You want WR's blocking with the same ferocity as Rod Smith or Hines Ward. Nobody takes the play off. You stay with it until their defense gets tired of stopping it in the 4th.
                  KITTLE is great example of player commitment to run.
                  rod smith and eddie mac, warms my heart !

of course samywinder is gonna understand the vital component that is the run !

Comment

Run commitment is a foolish out of date concept. You shouldn't commit to the run anymore than you should commit to the passing game. What offensive coordinators should be doing is committing to concepts that are proven to be effective against the defensive looks they are likely to see in a given week. I am perfectly happy with Lock throwing the ball 50+ times if teams continue to run 8 man boxes against him with either cover 1 or cover 0 looks in the secondary. Likewise, I'm perfectly happy with the team running the ball 50+ times if teams are playing their defensive backs in off coverage with a light box. Coaches should commit to attacking the defense's soft spot, what ever that may be. Not some artificial measure of, well we are going to run the ball at least 25 times per game.

Comment

To me its not about how much you run - even the #1 rushing offense each year will still tend to get around 55-60% of their yards through the air, and that's usually with a running QB - most teams are about 70/30. Its more a question of being able to run when you need to, and forcing the defense to always take the threat of the run seriously.

I think the days of any team managing to consistently impose their will on another in that way slowly died out when free agency came in. These days, if the other team manages to guess what you're going to do they will usually stop you, even the bad teams, so one of the reasons teams pass more is that its easier to create variation and unpredictability in the pass game. But if they know you can't run it that makes your life a lot harder.

Sometimes, the occasion demands you pound the rock - usually late in games with a lead when you need to salt it away - but even then you still need to mix it up with the pass or you find its just a recipe for a three-and-out....

Comment

Originally posted by v2micca View Post
                        Run commitment is a foolish out of date concept. You shouldn't commit to the run anymore than you should commit to the passing game. What offensive coordinators should be doing is committing to concepts that are proven to be effective against the defensive looks they are likely to see in a given week. I am perfectly happy with Lock throwing the ball 50+ times if teams continue to run 8 man boxes against him with either cover 1 or cover 0 looks in the secondary. Likewise, I'm perfectly happy with the team running the ball 50+ times if teams are playing their defensive backs in off coverage with a light box. Coaches should commit to attacking the defense's soft spot, what ever that may be. Not some artificial measure of, well we are going to run the ball at least 25 times per game.
                        It's akin to boxing, right? Body blows to take their wind, big time head shots for the KO. If you do both well you can out think your opponent and always hit them where their defense is weakest.

You hear so often, "we aren't going to let 'so and so' beat us". Teams have to be able to attack with balance and counter what what the opponent is doing.

Comment

Have to agree. The run game is outdated as Kubes. Which is why he is outdated. Games in the near future will be a minimum for 300 passing yards a game. They are setting the league up that way.

Comment

I applaud your wisdom.
                            attack your opponents weaknesses,
                            diminish their strengths.

but what about your own strengths and weaknesses, isn't your opponent doing the same thing ?
                            Why are they encouraging your QB to throw the ball 40+ times ?

Comment

Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post

Have to agree. The run game is outdated as Kubes. Which is why he is outdated. Games in the near future will be a minimum for 300 passing yards a game. They are setting the league up that way.
                              comic book perspective.
                              the run game remains an essential , critical, element of the game.

"the run game is outdated. "
                              Some moron in the press said something similar to vince lombardi in the late 60's !

I wonder if they named a trophy after that moron ?

Comment

Working...
                              X