The Decision That Had To Be Made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Decision That Had To Be Made

Having seen the schedule, it made me think more about a decision that was made with just 5 games left in our season. You see, this schedule is not that easy, on the surface anyway. Games that appear tough to me now....twice against KC, and four other divisional games that must be taken very seriously. Then there's The Saints, Buffalo, The Bucs, The Pats, and others. Now, one game at a time, and trust in what you got, not what they appear to be.
    Lets step back to last fall, when many of us were begging to see our young gun rookie QB get a chance. We were out of contention, and lets be fair, we really did not have a franchise looking QB in the fold...other than potentially Mr. Lock. The logic made sense to those of us who wanted the change to be made....see what the kid has got, and get as much assessment time as possible before the offseason, because otherwise it might be back to QB square one. And we can't waste another year or two, or whatever, trying to solidify the most important position on the field.
    Had we not played him, or even just for a game or two and not got a solid indication of his starter potential, who knows? Would we have tried to trade way up, or would we have taken our chances on one of the less "valued" draftees, hoping and waiting to find out if they had what it takes? And trading up would cost us big time in yet another QB currency exchange. I just can't imagine us trading up for Burrow or Tua, maybe same with Herbert. Further, there are no guarantees on draft picks, and if nothing else, we should not expect a quick road to success. Even Burrow may struggle this year.
    To be open minded....had we not made the QB change, we may have fallen lower in the standings, thereby giving us a better draft spot. But we will never know.
    Then of course, the vets that became available. Bridgewater perhaps, Dalton, Winston, Newton. I like Teddy, and he's the only one I would have even considered as a starter, but why not go young? Why keep going the older vet route? Why not go with youth AND talent?
    What we do know is, our team made the decision that had to be made. Five games of Lock. What we needed to see. Not all inclusive but quite positive and very revealing of his capabilities....in the BIG Leagues. Made our offseason easier. Odds are FA and The Draft did not waste much time in terms of QB acquisition. We have other needs.
    And having seen the new schedule, whether it be as tough or not as tough as it initially appears....it does not look daunting at all, knowing we have our QB in place, and armed with new talent...and a really good team!! This is much more than Lock, but QBs are a very important asset!

Hi CanDB, welcome!

It was awesome to see how having a guy at QB the staff and FO believe in focused the entire offseason. It's beyond just the production, having a QB helps the whole team top to bottom.

Comment

It was pretty obvious from the moment rosters were finalized that Lock should be starting as soon as possible. No-brainer easy.

I'm not prone to bashing the team relentlessly, but viewing the whole thing as some decision that was finally made with five weeks left into the season just emphasizes how dumb the approach was from the very beginning. I will never get over the Flacco move.

Lock wasn't my first choice at quarterback, having watched him his Mizzou career, but it was never a question of physical ability. He looked good last year and he appears to making all the right decisions moving forward. It's a lot of fun having a young, talented quarterback. Like scratching off a lottery ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Powderaddict View Post
        Hi CanDB, welcome!

It was awesome to see how having a guy at QB the staff and FO believe in focused the entire offseason. It's beyond just the production, having a QB helps the whole team top to bottom.
        Thanks my friend! Looks nice and Orange here!

I was getting a little critical of Big John, because for several years he did not seem to appreciate the importance of finding a good, long term QB, nor an Oline to support. But by drafting Lock and Risner, back to back of all things, he immediately changed our O's direction. Risner is the real deal, and I believe in Lock. But I was frustrated that he was not getting his chance. If he did not start more than a game or two last year, we may have learned very little about our QB situation. Luckily we got a really good glimpse, and it was quite a positive display! But if we had stuck with the other QBs, I am not even sure what this offseason would have entailed, in terms of finding our franchise QB, and at what cost (draft capital/salary).

Comment

Can?? What are you doing here?? : )

Comment

Originally posted by Shananahan View Post
            It was pretty obvious from the moment rosters were finalized that Lock should be starting as soon as possible. No-brainer easy.

I'm not prone to bashing the team relentlessly, but viewing the whole thing as some decision that was finally made with five weeks left into the season just emphasizes how dumb the approach was from the very beginning. I will never get over the Flacco move.

Lock wasn't my first choice at quarterback, having watched him his Mizzou career, but it was never a question of physical ability. He looked good last year and he appears to making all the right decisions moving forward. It's a lot of fun having a young, talented quarterback. Like scratching off a lottery ticket.
            Hey there! You are so right, it's a lot of fun!!! Gives me renewed faith in this organization. And now we got "weapons"!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
              Can?? What are you doing here?? : )
              Hey my FF buddy!! Thought I'd give it a try!

Comment

That's actually a flattering picture of me!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Hey my FF buddy!! Thought I'd give it a try!
                  That other forum is pretty much dead, the mods took it straight to purgatory

Comment

thought chefluigi was permabanned based on thread title

Comment

Funny....guess the title could fit a lot of possibilities. Had to keep you folks guessing.😉

Comment

Good to have you here, Can. You should upload an avatar, so we have a visual reference to know you by.

I have found it really interesting how small, sometimes unintended circumstances change a franchise. This offseason has been such a breath of fresh air - pretty much solely because of Drew Lock. And, it almost took a perfect storm of circumstances to get us here. If Flacco doesn't get hurt when he does, I have to think Lock doesn't get to play for at least a few more games. And if seems as if five games was about the minimum needed to force Elway to acknowledge him as a real QBotF.

My first nightmare is that Lock gets in for the last few games (his numbers for the last three, by themselves, are 60-101 577 2-1 - pretty underwhelming), and does just enough to be given a token shot at winning the job in 2020 - against someone like Flacco or Andy Dalton.

My second (and worse) nightmare is that Elway uses draft capital to trade up and get Herbert. In that case, there would be no competition. It would be Herbert's job for at least a couple years.

Comment

WelcomeCan.

Additionally if we hadn't let the nazis invade the Rhineland we wouldn't have had WW2 in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by DomCasual View Post
                            Good to have you here, Can. You should upload an avatar, so we have a visual reference to know you by.

I have found it really interesting how small, sometimes unintended circumstances change a franchise. This offseason has been such a breath of fresh air - pretty much solely because of Drew Lock. And, it almost took a perfect storm of circumstances to get us here. If Flacco doesn't get hurt when he does, I have to think Lock doesn't get to play for at least a few more games. And if seems as if five games was about the minimum needed to force Elway to acknowledge him as a real QBotF.

My first nightmare is that Lock gets in for the last few games (his numbers for the last three, by themselves, are 60-101 577 2-1 - pretty underwhelming), and does just enough to be given a token shot at winning the job in 2020 - against someone like Flacco or Andy Dalton.

My second (and worse) nightmare is that Elway uses draft capital to trade up and get Herbert. In that case, there would be no competition. It would be Herbert's job for at least a couple years.
                            Thanks for the welcome! I know, if we don't see enough of Lock, what then!! We could be back on the road to another draft capital investment, or another aging vet. The cycle just keeps on going....and we are in the QB twilight zone! Thankfully we are going on a much better path, and I do see playoffs this year and for years to come!👍

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              WelcomeCan.

Additionally if we hadn't let the nazis invade the Rhineland we wouldn't have had WW2 in Europe.
                              Thank you!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X