RIP Don Shula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Don Shula

One of Shula’s children confirmed his passing to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.

A ninth-round pick out of John Carroll in 1951, Shula played defensive back for the Browns, Colts, and Washington through 1957.

He returned to the NFL in 1960, as the Lions’ defensive coordinator. Three seasons later, the Colts hired Shula to serve as head coach.

After the 1969 season, Shula signed to coach the Dolphins, with Miami giving up a first-round pick after the Colts charged Miami with tampering. It was nevertheless a great investment; the Dolphins went to the Super Bowl to cap the 1971 season (losing to the Cowboys), crafted the NFL’s only 17-0 season in 1972, and won another Super Bowl the next year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profoot...ses-at-90/amp/

Remember one story about him. There was an incident when one of his coaches or some other person on his staff came across another team's playbook. It was either in a press box or locker room. The person presented it to Shula, thinking he would want it.

Without hesitation, he sent it back to the team, assuring them no one had looked at it.

It was a story that was something to that effect.

A fact also about that 17-0 team. They had to win the AFC Championship game that year on the road in Pittsburgh. There was no such thing as homefield advantage. It was preselected who would have it.
    Last edited by Broncoblood32; 05-04-2020, 07:51 AM.

Dolphins Hall of Fame coach Don Shula dies at 90
    Don Shula, the NFL's most winningest coach who led the Miami Dolphins to the league's only undefeated season, died Monday at the age of 90.
    Read Now

Comment

• GoneFishin'
      GoneFishin' commented
      Editing a comment
      RIP
      Click image for larger version

Name:	wrnepepeftetpqmmg98b.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	2623491

• bronco militia
      bronco militia commented
      Editing a comment
      RIP!

• BroncoLifer
      BroncoLifer commented
      Editing a comment
      I met him, at a business expo in Florida. He was a guest speaker and he also manned a table for autographs. I walked in the place while some other speaker was on and saw Shula was sitting there alone...so I went over and talked with him for maybe 10 minutes.

He asked me who my team was (Broncos, of course). Just a light conversation, no amazing stories or anything like that. He said he was happy to be retired from football but enjoyed staying busy in other ways. Very nice guy, RIP.

RIP coach. He seemed like a stand up guy by all accounts.

Side note, I had no idea they played the AFCCG in Pittsburgh.

Comment

that will now be the "SHULA TOAST "

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Prefontaine View Post
        RIP coach. He seemed like a stand up guy by all accounts.

Side note, I had no idea they played the AFCCG in Pittsburgh.
        That was the Steelers first trip to the postseason in decades. They were a joke of a franchise about to turn the corner and become a dynasty over the next several seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post

That was the Steelers first trip to the postseason in decades. They were a joke of a franchise about to turn the corner and become a dynasty over the next several seasons.
          They really became their dynasty after the draft of 1974. However, they had some real key pieces. Bradshaw, Franco, Mean Joe among others.

I think it was the week before that Franco made that "Miraculous Reception."

The funny story about that 1974 draft was how they drafted Stallworth. Being that Stallworth had went to a small black college in the south (Alabama A&M) there was very little video. One known video was made, and Pittsburgh was supposed to share the video after they watched it. When the GM and Knoll watched the video, they immediately knew Stallworth (who was projected late draft pick) would possibly go in the first. So, they kept the video and didn't share it. Lynn Swann, who went to USC was very well known and was a projected first rounder. So, the plan was to target Swann in the first, and hopefully Stallworth would be there in the 4th. He was, and they did. Combined with drafting Lambert and the late great Mike Webster, they drafted FOUR HALL OF FAMERS. Don't think a team ever drafted two Hall of Famers in one draft let alone FOUR.

Comment

RIP Don Shula!

Comment

Sorry to hear of his passing. Loved watching his well coached teams all those decades.

Comment

RIP, Don Shula.

(watch on youtube)

Comment

Mods. Wasn’t my thread opened first?!
                  (To the lovely one that merged the threads.)

Comment

RIP Coach Shula.

Comment

Originally posted by strafen View Post
                      Mods. Wasn’t my thread opened first?!
                      (To the lovely one that merged the threads.)
                      yes, by 42 seconds !

Comment

there MUST be a SHULA AWARD or a SHULA rule, something to honor his integrity and devotion to the game.
                        after coaching he chaired the rules committee for 20 years !

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
                          there MUST be a SHULA AWARD or a SHULA rule, something to honor his integrity and devotion to the game.
                          after coaching he chaired the rules committee for 20 years !
                          Call it the Shula award or the anti Belicheat award.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoblood32 View Post

Call it the Shula award or the anti Belicheat award.
                            dolphin players are always quick to point out that shula did it with honesty and integrity.
                            an unspoken contrast to BB.

He played for paul brown
                            he played with otto graham
                            he coached unitas.
                            the game of football must be about integrity for a man like shula !

I hope it is an annual award given to a coach, not unlike the peyton award given to a player.

Comment

Working...
                            X