Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Corner about to the be the new RB?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Corner about to the be the new RB?

    ....The draft is over.....something I've noticed that is the both KC and Denver haven't invested big money or high draft picks at CB the last couple years, but have spent alot at Safety.....

    follow me for a minute.

    Top safeties are substantially cheaper than top corners. If you have good/elite safety play, then you have guys who can cover, play in the box, blitz, play centerfield etc. They are versatile. Most teams don't put a corner on an island and ask them to lock down a man or a side of the field....the few who do are very highly paid and locking out 1 guy or one side of the field, while valuable...isn't as valuable a skillas maybe it was 10 or 20 years ago.

    I've noticed Fangio's zone system does not require or call for man cover corners...and Denver is likely going to be the highest spending team at S this year.

    Alot of teams have been spending big money and high draft picks at CB, but is that really a sound investment now?

    Consider that big name CB's got some huge deals this offseason...Slay, and Byron....etc....and Jalen Ramsey is going to really reset the "lock down corner" market soon.

    Is it better to invest in high end safeties that cost quite a bit less than CB, and just find guys who are good sound zone assignment guys who can tackle to play CB at a bargain? .....and likewise...use your 3rds and later draft picks on guys like that?

    The Bills and Ravens are about to run into a big problem as they both have "lock down corners" soon due for extension, and those guys are going to want to be in the Ramsey neighborhood in pay.....those guys....especially Dre White in Buffalo...are heavily depended on in their respective schemes. Meanwhile, teams like Denver fielded a good D with midling corners, and will again this year.

    So, my question is.....is it smart roster building to do CB at bargain bin players/prices and spend eslewhere? I think there is a market efficiency there worth looking at.....Thoughts? I am bored as hell tonight at work!

  • #2
    The answer is “yes”.. but only if you have the coaching staff to use mid-tier talent CBs in a winning formula. Same with RBs. Not every team has that luxury. Coaching is an asset to winning, and every teams valuation on that asset is different. Good news here, Denver has a lot of very good coaches.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TheCoachBear View Post
      The answer is “yes”.. but only if you have the coaching staff to use mid-tier talent CBs in a winning formula. Same with RBs. Not every team has that luxury. Coaching is an asset to winning, and every teams valuation on that asset is different. Good news here, Denver has a lot of very good coaches.
      This is exactly why VJ had to go. Not only was our team beginning to drop in talent, we were significantly lacking in coaching. Fangio inherited a mess. I'm glad he and Elway appear to be on the right path. I just hope Shurmur is the right guy for Lock.

      Comment


      • #4
        Nothing new
        always quality CBs available every year in FA vs LT who never hit FA in their prime. Deion was a vagabond and maybe the best ever.

        slot Cbs are a dime a dozen.

        Set a minimum requirement for outside lane CBs and scheme and draft them

        plus rebuilding means high priced CB are the first to go. Need them for a championship run but not for a rebuild.
        Last edited by CEH; 05-03-2020, 07:58 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I guess it's scheme dependent... you have to find the right players to fit your scheme. That said, CB is still a priority position and will remain so regardless of a team's scheme. The CB position will most likely still be one of the most highly paid positions on teams in the NFL simply due to the fact that it's a "skill" position that requires a unique skill set

          Comment


          • #6
            No. There will be plenty of teams that value a shut down corner and pay them if they are elite. The difference between RB and CB, is the elite CB are going to get paid well every time, while elite RB are going to struggle to get big contracts.

            RB and ILB are more comparable imo. They are going to get paid less and be drafted lower unless they are really good in the passing game. If you can't catch as a RB, or defend the pass as a LB, you wont get drafted as high or get as big of a contract.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sgbfan View Post
              No. There will be plenty of teams that value a shut down corner and pay them if they are elite. The difference between RB and CB, is the elite CB are going to get paid well every time, while elite RB are going to struggle to get big contracts.

              RB and ILB are more comparable imo. They are going to get paid less and be drafted lower unless they are really good in the passing game. If you can't catch as a RB, or defend the pass as a LB, you wont get drafted as high or get as big of a contract.
              I'm actually inclined to agree with this comparison. RB and ILB are constantly fighting for their cheddar. CB has been dramatically overpaid for years and will continue to be so. Financially savvy teams are just prioritizing differently.

              Comment


              • #8
                Easily answered: are you a one down, two down, or three down player.....??
                You will be paid accordingly.
                A lot of the RBs and ILBs aren’t seeing the field as much.
                are you a gimmick player, or are you a mainstay.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Rofl...no. You can get decent corners later in the draft, but shutdown man corners usually require premium picks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    No, we are simply seeing more scheme dependent drafting. Different flavors for different teams.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We did play man coverage at times last year. It's not as simple as saying Fangio's scheme just relies on zone coverage. It depends on down and distance, WR alignments, and individual talent that dictates what coverage schemes are used.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No. You can get away with certain traits based on scheme dependance as others have already mentioned, but it can pigeonhole you and allow for minimal flexibility. Fangio is one of the few HC/DCs that I trust to evaluate, coach, and scheme correctly based on his track record.

                        Regardless of running a predominantly zone or man scheme, every team flexes and runs options off of both and versatility and talent will always matter. I would argue that CB is one of the positions it matters most at.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          CB is such a tough position to stay at the top of the game for more than 3-5 years.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            From a roster building/Cap perspective......I guess what I am thinking/wondering is are you better off investing in Safety, where the top end pay is less than the top end CB....and rely on your talent/investments there to be dynamic, while you deploy cheap assetts (I didn't say less talented, just less expensive....guys on rookies deals) at CB..and when it's time for them to be paid, you let them walk and deploy cheap assetts again.

                            RB got to where it is because we've all seen for a while now that paying top end dollars at RB doesn't bring a good ROI. Teams can find TALENT capable of good production at RB for much lower costs than 2nd contract RB's are able to provide in almost every instance.

                            I think CB could start to be viewed this way.....the dynamic versatile S....in todays game, has to be able to do alot, think alot, be on the field alot etc.....while a CB....isn't calling a D or coverage, and is usuallyasked to focus on just one man or just one patch of real estate.

                            I'm not saying there isn't value to having a lock down guy...there is....just as there is value to having a dynamic RB.....all I am saying is that IF you have good safeties...you can pay them, and just plug and play low cost talent at CB, cycling them through as they get too expensive to keep.

                            So, I'll use Denver (but KC is similar) ....you have Simmons. You have Jackson. Both are very good and paid in the upper echelon of the position (or about to be in Simmons case) Those 2 safeties, paid highly.....I think is more efficient use of resources than 2 medicore mid level safeties and elite CB (with elite pay). 2 elite safetys costs considerably less than 2 elite CB, and I think acutally gives you more flexibility on D anyhow. ....you spend the savings at the other spot on D that costs...wich are Edge and D linemen that can rush the passer.

                            Until Safety pay gets alot closer to CB pay, I think there is market inefficiecy to exploit here.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Zerovoltz View Post
                              From a roster building/Cap perspective......I guess what I am thinking/wondering is are you better off investing in Safety, where the top end pay is less than the top end CB....and rely on your talent/investments there to be dynamic, while you deploy cheap assetts (I didn't say less talented, just less expensive....guys on rookies deals) at CB..and when it's time for them to be paid, you let them walk and deploy cheap assetts again.

                              RB got to where it is because we've all seen for a while now that paying top end dollars at RB doesn't bring a good ROI. Teams can find TALENT capable of good production at RB for much lower costs than 2nd contract RB's are able to provide in almost every instance.

                              I think CB could start to be viewed this way.....the dynamic versatile S....in todays game, has to be able to do alot, think alot, be on the field alot etc.....while a CB....isn't calling a D or coverage, and is usuallyasked to focus on just one man or just one patch of real estate.

                              I'm not saying there isn't value to having a lock down guy...there is....just as there is value to having a dynamic RB.....all I am saying is that IF you have good safeties...you can pay them, and just plug and play low cost talent at CB, cycling them through as they get too expensive to keep.

                              So, I'll use Denver (but KC is similar) ....you have Simmons. You have Jackson. Both are very good and paid in the upper echelon of the position (or about to be in Simmons case) Those 2 safeties, paid highly.....I think is more efficient use of resources than 2 medicore mid level safeties and elite CB (with elite pay). 2 elite safetys costs considerably less than 2 elite CB, and I think acutally gives you more flexibility on D anyhow. ....you spend the savings at the other spot on D that costs...wich are Edge and D linemen that can rush the passer.

                              Until Safety pay gets alot closer to CB pay, I think there is market inefficiecy to exploit here.
                              Did you want someone to tell you you guys will be aces without Breeland getting out of jail time? You'll be tough. I can't wait for Rd1.

                              I like your plan too.
                              KC should run with Rookie CBs and keep their safeties until they are 42 with mega deals.

                              Also I dig the subtle digs on the Gordon signing.
                              You are an excellent Troll.



                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X