Zero reviews Jarrett Stidham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero reviews Jarrett Stidham

MODS: Feel free to deposit this in the butt if you don't think it belongs out here in the central discussion area.

Bored at work...just watch every single Jarrett Stidham play from his entire 2019 Preseason.

Here are my thoughts.

Right away you notice that Stidham is very good at climbing the pocket...this is one of Tom Bradys hallmarks, and Stidham is feerless in traffic, as he steps straight forward into the middle of relatively small pockets, keeping his eyes downfield and delivering alot of good passes. It's quite impressive. Of note....stidham, when climbing, usually does throw the ball, but when he feels the heat, this is also BY FAR his prefferred escape route....running straight ahead. in all the games he played, each opponent threw a middle blitz right at him, and all 3 of those times he just crumples to the ground.....or has no chance to escape. He's helpless against a free rusher coming up the middle right at him.

Stidham, when taking snaps from the gun, does go through his progressions fairly well, but he did tend to hold the ball for a while. In the games I watched, he was mostly playing scrubs....some of the better pass rushers in the leauge are going to get to this guy when he doens't make up his mind quickly to throw.

When stidham is flushed and tries to throw, he doesn't have the arm to get mustard on his passes....especially rolling to his left....throwing on the move to his left, he throws a VERY weak ball, and it isn't much better rolling right. He doesn't have the speed to create enough space to stop and reset once he starts to roll...so getting him moving out of hte pocket is advantage defense.

It's also very apparent in every game, ANYTIME Stidham ran play action, once he turns back around after the fake handoff, he is QUICK to throw...he already has in mind where the open man should be and often is correct and wastes no time at all getting the ball out...often to an open target. Its a sharp contrast watching how quick stidham gets the ball out on play action vs just taking a shotgun snap and standing around scanning the field and taking his time.

Given time in the pocket...or even when he is compelled to climb the pocket and throw, stidham was good at recognizing man coverage on the outside and throwing to that target. He rarely chose outside targets who were doubled up. He did go to some tightly covered targets in the middle of the field but had success on alot of that as he does well stepping into those throws as he is climbing up in the pocket and is able to get enough zip on the ball to get it through those tight windows.

In general Stidham had good pocket pressence and was good about feeling the pressure coming....but he lacks the athleticsm to do much about it once the rush hits home...even when he makes the effort to escape or sidestep, he's slow....and throwing under durress reveals the weakness of his arm when he can't step into the throw and drive the ball.

Only in the FINAL preseason game did i note ONE anticipation throw....a 7 yard out that he began the windup before the target made the cut. It was the only one I saw....could be due to playing with the scrubs...

Not the most graceful screen thrower...seems rushed and antsy trying to execute those.

Overall....I can see why Belichick might feel good enough to give this kid a real chance in 2020....I would want to see more work on timing routes with the 1's before I'd feel real good about this kid, but he seems capable and well suited to run the Patriot short passing game they prefer along with his fast execution of playaction...and they might just have something viable there.

You run some double tights and pound the rock setting up playaction.....I can see it working out. Need to see A LOT more in the timing/anticipation area.

while the NFL continues to build defenses to stop the PASS , BB is lining up 2 TE to pound the rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerovoltz View Post
      MODS: Feel free to deposit this in the butt
      You'd like that, wouldn't you?

Comment

Identifying QB is obviously difficult. But one thing I’m certain of is that a QB who was mediocre in college isn’t suddenly going to become great in the pros. I don’t see it with Stidham, and especially not since Belichick didn’t bring in any help for him.

Comment

It's pretty obvious that BB is going to stick with Stidham, and give Stidham all the snaps in practice in order to give him a chance to be the starting QB moving forward. I'm not so sure BB would have allowed Brady to leave if he didn't think Stidham could step in and do at least as well, if not better than Brady. I'm also guessing that as close as BB was to Brady and how good their relationship is, I'm guessing BB would love to prove to everyone that he doesn't need the GOAT to win games. One final thought, if Stidham does struggle this coming season, it's not necessarily a bad thing for the Pats because the 2021 draft has some good QBs with potential, including Trevor Lawrence. I don't think the Pats will be bad enough to be in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes, but then again, who knows?

Comment

Just what I waiting for, an analysis of mid-round QB on the Patriots' roster by a Chiefs troll...

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
              Just what I waiting for, an analysis of mid-round QB on the Patriots' roster by a Chiefs troll...
              The whole point of this is for him to tacitly imply Stidham > Lock. His drum he keeps beating is that Lock has no anticipation, which is funny because pretty much every analyst has stated that Lock throws with great anticipation, it was noted as strength. He is the worst kind of troll. The kind that pretends he is just a good guy who happens to root for the other team. Our resident mouth breather falls for it.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaMagnum View Post

The whole point of this is for him to tacitly imply Stidham > Lock. His drum he keeps beating is that Lock has no anticipation, which is funny because pretty much every analyst has stated that Lock throws with great anticipation, it was noted as strength. He is the worst kind of troll. The kind that pretends he is just a good guy who happens to root for the other team. Our resident mouth breather falls for it.
                .....You are mostly right..... Until last night I hadn't looked at Stidham, but since Dalton signed with the Cowboys....it should be fairly clear that Belichick is going with Stidham so I took a look.

I did put this "here" as something to watch this season. No where do I say Stidham is better than Lock. I simply point out that for what the Patriots do, he is viable. If I were to compare the 2, Lock is the superior player. He has the much stronger, better arm, is way better off script, has enough speed to escape and can throw on the move well.....all much better than Stidham can. I saw ONE single instance of a stidham throw where the target hadn't cut yet....but it wasn't all that well anticipated. Stidham is just beggining his windup as the player begins the cut. That's it....everything else he threw was linear route stuff.....same as Lock.

The part you are totally correct about is that I think Lock will be limited by...and hindered by at times, his lack of anticipation on non linear routes. I think Stidham....already the inferior player....will be limited by the same problem.

Additionally....Lock throws linear routes very well..it's his strength. Devner....I think is going to run alot of routes etc that play to that.....Fant and Okbunewana are both big fast TE who excell at deep seam routes...KJ Hamler can fly deep....Sutton ran alot of linear stuff last year.

I think its fascinating. The ONE thing Stidham really does well is climb the pocket and work in small spaces to make decent throws....very bradyesqe in that way.

and yes...this IS trolling. I love talking football....I made another post about CB's Safetys etc....that wasn't a troll post...that one was just football conjecture nuetral to any particular team....I think poeple can tell the difference between when I am kocking the Donkeys and when I really am just talking football. .....This post is about trolling with anticipation.... I am anticipating Stidham actually doing well and I'm trying to get out ahead of it here.

Comment

There’s something to be said about not panicking, the Patriots, up to this point, are taking the opposite approach as the Broncos did after Manning. The Broncos panicked and ended up with losers like Sanchez and Lynch, then they continued to panic and threw away a ton of resources on failed QBs.

Dalton, or any other scrub QB out there, isn’t going to replace Brady, so why even try? Stick with Stidham, who already knows the offense and players, if he sucks, then you’re likely in a better spot to get a QB next year. Wait and get the guy you really want, don’t just throw crap at the wall.

Comment

Yeah ... he sucks, blah blah blah. Why should we care what a cheffan thnks about him??

Quoting you:
                    "If I were to compare the two, I'd say Lock is the superior player."

Gosh, Voltz ... thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
                      Yeah ... he sucks, blah blah blah. Why should we care what a cheffan thnks about him??

Quoting you:
                      "If I were to compare the two, I'd say Lock is the superior player."

Gosh, Voltz ... thanks.
                      ....Lock IS the superior player....what I'm interested in seeing is how much BB gets out of Stidham and what he does well....climb the pocket....very quick efficient on Play action...VS Lock, (and Josh Allen) the superior athletes. Should be fun to see how that goes over there in NE. I think BB wants to win with Stidham and give a great big FU to the leauge and Tom Brady.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerovoltz View Post

I think BB wants to win with Stidham and give a great big FU to the leauge and Tom Brady.
                        They want to see if Stidham is the real deal and, if he's not, maybe they earn a ticket to a big-time QB in the 2021 draft.

Comment

don't care

Comment

Originally posted by Tangerine View Post
                            There’s something to be said about not panicking, the Patriots, up to this point, are taking the opposite approach as the Broncos did after Manning. The Broncos panicked and ended up with losers like Sanchez and Lynch, then they continued to panic and threw away a ton of resources on failed QBs.

Dalton, or any other scrub QB out there, isn’t going to replace Brady, so why even try? Stick with Stidham, who already knows the offense and players, if he sucks, then you’re likely in a better spot to get a QB next year. Wait and get the guy you really want, don’t just throw crap at the wall.
                            Good point, good post.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangerine View Post

You can make an argument that the Pats invested MORE on QBs with Tom Brady on the roster than Denver has with Manning off ours. Jacoby Brissett 3rd round, Ryan Mallett 3rd round. Stidham 4th round. Jimmy Garoppolo 2nd round. That's without digging into late round scrubs like Kelly and Zac Dysert Elway gets picked on for drafting.

Comment

Working...
                              X