Jovan Belcher exhumed for concussion exam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slick7 View Post
    Okay, my mistake. Autopsy is a simply a cause of death process. I think I understood that. I assume serum ethanol levels describe the alcohol level at the time of death. What kind of tests would need to be run to determine if Belcher suffered from some type of concussoon damage?

You might have to dumb it down for me a bit.
    I don't know the details. It involves looking for evidence of chronic injury on a microscopic level. It is subject to interpretation, and therefore I'm pretty sure you can find someone somewhere willing to say there was evidence of CTE (for a nominal fee).

Comment

Originally posted by slick7 View Post
      I got hit by a US mail jeep in San Antonio when I was a teenager in San Antonio in the 90's. There were probably 50 letters at my house when I got home from the hospital 3 days later so I can definitely relate.

Kid A made some good points a few posts back. At the end of the day, the Belcher family deserves to know even if it's some sleezebag lawyer behind it. It just sucks because this should have already been handled in the initial autopsy. Do you agree with that Dr?
      I was rear-ended as a teenager and was a little banged up, nothing serious. My best friend was with me, similar injuries. Dude that hit us watched his unrestrained girlfriend ejected and killed. I shiat you not, we had innumerable offers to seek damages for our pain/suffering/mental anguish. All I wanted was my bumper and broken shocks repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
        I was rear-ended as a teenager and was a little banged up, nothing serious. My best friend was with me, similar injuries. Dude that hit us watched his unrestrained girlfriend ejected and killed. I shiat you not, we had innumerable offers to seek damages for our pain/suffering/mental anguish. All I wanted was my bumper and broken shocks repaired.
        Wow. Similar story for me. I ended up getting my medical bills paid and lost wages for missing work work for a few months. Wasn't much because I was a high school kid making 3 dollars and change bagging groceries part time.

Good for you that you didn't support the money grab. I admit, I wanted to until my Dad talked some sense into me.

Comment

He had twice the legal limit of alcohol in his blood at autopsy. He put a bullet through his brain. Said mangled and drunk brain has been decomposing for a year. But some lawyer will find an "expert" witness who will testify that microscopic evidence of CTE is present in the brain, and therefore entitled to monetary award. The new American Dream.
          I was just about to say that. Brain had a bullet go through it and it's been rotting for a year. The NFL has nothing to worry about on this one.

Comment

I was the passenger in an accident many years ago as a teenager. My knees have never been the same. Not one damn sleazy lawyer ever contacted me.

I suppose it was for the better as I was young and dumb back then. I probably would have blown all the money on a lifetime supply of weed...or the next weekend, whichever came first...

Comment

Originally posted by OBF1 View Post
              This pisses me off. His family is a POS looking to profit from his death... That he caused.
              There's yer sticky wicket ... you don't understand the concept of causation.

Put simply and in the vernacular: If you're hired to do a job, and your employer knows (or has cause to suspect, such that a reasonable person would investigate) that part of the performance of that job can cause serious bodily harm or death, he must warn, obtain waivers, consents, do all he can to communicate the danger and see to it that every person he employs understands that danger.

None of this "oh everybody knew" bullcrap. If everybody knew, then what's the problem with warnings, posted and in contracts with unions and players? Cause I gar-an-dam-tee you, there's always one knothead who doesn't know what "everybody knows." And when the knowledge is this important, no gentlemen's agreement can suffice.

Comment

I get it though, you guys think most lawyers are ass-hats. Well, I know more lawyers than any three of you put together, and you can trust me when I say you're pretty much right. An inordinately large percentage of attorneys are self-centered and jaded. But the profession is not the person, and the profession has been invaluable to every society in which it has thrived. The profession helped us climb the food-chain, build the perfect union, extend our lifespans, and keep us safe. The profession is every bit the hero.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                  I was just about to say that. Brain had a bullet go through it and it's been rotting for a year. The NFL has nothing to worry about on this one.
                  They aren't digging up his year-old, decomposing, and blown-to-smithereens brain for some altruistic neuropathology expedition. There exists a paid expert or two who will swear that even in its present state, the leftovers of Belcher's previously malfunctioning brain show evidence of CTE. Doesn't matter if it is the actual truth. Doesn't matter if his cause and manner of death was intentional suicide while acutely intoxicated. They would not go through this effort if the conclusion was questionable. It will be more likely than not that CTE was the reason he got drunk, killed his babymomma, then killed himself. Belcher was an exploited gladiator slave for the brain mush factory. It is always someone else's fault, as long as that someone has money.

Comment

There exists a paid expert or two who will swear that even in its present state, the leftovers of Belcher's previously brain show CTE. Doesn't matter if it is the actual truth.
                    This is true ... you can find an expert witness to testify to damn near anything. Biggest difference between an expert witness and a whore is the witness keeps his clothes on.

But rules of evidence permit broad examination of an expert's background and qualifications ... and somewhat surprisingly, research shows juries are rarely fooled, unless they get too bogged down in scientific crap. The lawyer's job is to make sure that doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
                      This is true ... you can find an expert witness to testify to damn near anything. Biggest difference between an expert witness and a whore is the witness keeps his clothes on.

But rules of evidence permit broad examination of an expert's background and qualifications ... and somewhat surprisingly, research shows juries are rarely fooled, unless they get too bogged down in scientific crap. The lawyer's job is to make sure that doesn't happen.
                      Lol. Depending on which team, right? I mean, jury selection for team Belcher would basically involve eliminating anyone who looks capable of forming coherent thoughts. Find a group of the most emotionally distractible high-functioning retards who can be persuaded to look beyond any semblance of common sense or personal responsibility. Then pay someone to lie to them convincingly.

Comment

Lol. Depending on which team, right? I mean, jury selection for team Belcher would basically involve eliminating anyone who looks capable of forming coherent thoughts. Find a group of the most emotionally distractible high-functioning retards who can be persuaded to look beyond any semblance of common sense or personal responsibility. Then pay someone to lie to them convincingly.
                        Soooo, Chief fans then?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post

Ha, ha, ha. The lawyers are the one's who try to get the experts to fudge their opinions because they think the judges always cut the baby in half (not a jury trial).

Comment

Watch a high profile murder case like OJ, Casey Anthony, and George Zimmerman. Each side tries their hardest to eliminate any potential juror that might have a perceived bias against their argument. Sometimes the perceived bias manifests as a productive and/or educated person with the ability to form reasonable thought and influence others accordingly. But usually the perceived bias manifests as ethnicity and gender. The verdict likely rests in the ability to emotionally persuade a group of feeble-minded, racist, emotion-driven idiots who couldn't get out of jury duty. If this is untrue, then why is selection so critical and hotly contested? If law is so noble, wouldn't each side want the actual truth to decide a just result?

Comment

Watch a high profile murder case like OJ, Casey Anthony, and George Zimmerman. Each side tries their hardest to eliminate any potential juror that might have a perceived bias against their argument. Sometimes the perceived bias manifests as a productive and/or educated person with the ability to form reasonable thought and influence others accordingly. But usually the perceived bias manifests as ethnicity and gender. The verdict likely rests in the ability to emotionally persuade a group of feeble-minded, racist, emotion-driven idiots who couldn't get out of jury duty. If this is untrue, then why is selection so critical and hotly contested? If law is so noble, wouldn't each side want the actual truth to decide a just result?
                              It's so critical, there are high-dollar consulting firms that only do jury selection work.

Comment

Originally posted by broncogary View Post
                                It's so critical, there are high-dollar consulting firms that only do jury selection work.
                                They are doing heroic work directed by the hand of god.

Comment

Working...
                                X