Denver Post asking for money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Post asking for money?

Have you guys been getting their message? It's asking me to pay to read articles. It's $.99 for the first month, $10/month thereafter?

What kind of crap is this? Do they think money grows on trees?

Seriously, though - did they make an announcement about this? So far, I've been able to just close the request and read the article.

Not getting that. Just getting ads for ski/running gear

Comment

LA Times started doing that a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason in LA View Post
        LA Times started doing that a while ago.
        NY Times started doing that... you'd only get so many articles a month. I stopped reading the NY Times.

Comment

$10 a month to read the Denver Post?

Comment

Originally posted by DomCasual View Post
            Have you guys been getting their message? It's asking me to pay to read articles. It's $.99 for the first month, $10/month thereafter?

Do they think money grows on trees?
            It used to for them before the internet began destoying their revenue.

Comment

Try minimizing the browser you're seeing the pop up from the Denver Post come up on if the site does start restricting your ability to read content.

Open up a different browser while that is minimized and go to the Denver Post to see if you get the pop ups in the second browser.

The Toledo Blade started charging for access a month or so ago and if you open any articles you get a pop up that prevents you from reading any articles.

I figured out that if I open up the Toledo Blade website in FireFox, get the pop up, minimize the browser, and then open up Safari and open up the Toledo Blade website that I'm able to read all the content without any issues.

I'm sure someone will jump in and tell me that I should be paying for content.

I've given the Toledo Blade too much money over the years when I had a paper subscription. I'm not paying that lousy paper another dime.
              Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 12-14-2013, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I've stopped reading the DPO because of the new subscription requirement. Maybe with the new revenue, the DPO can afford to hire some people to proof articles again. The extensive grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors in DPO articles are atrocious.

Comment

If you open it in a private window, you probably won't get that message.

Comment

I find the analysis is far better on the Orange Mane than the Denver Post.

Let them go the way of the Rocky Mountain News, for all I care.

Comment

The newspaper industry is in crisis and the pay model is becoming a trend right now. These newspapers are caught between a rock and a hard place the way the industry works today. They need to make most of their money on advertising, but since advertisers are getting tougher on them, they are forced to go to a pay model to make up the difference. Which causes reduced viewership, which hurts their standing with advertisers... The industry is in a bad spot right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Taco John View Post
                        The newspaper industry is in crisis and the pay model is becoming a trend right now. These newspapers are caught between a rock and a hard place the way the industry works today. They need to make most of their money on advertising, but since advertisers are getting tougher on them, they are forced to go to a pay model to make up the difference. Which causes reduced viewership, which hurts their standing with advertisers... The industry is in a bad spot right now.
                        i think trying to belittle these companies to charge for their content is definitely not right (not that you are, just a side note). they are doing what any company who offered free services would do that was struggling to, or is predicting that they will shortly, stay afloat

they pay their writers, they are supposed to make money back via advertising but internet advertising is becoming less and less effective and thus pays less.

Comment

Originally posted by Taco John View Post
                          Anything in a print, video or recorded music media is in a bad spot. They were not prepared for the internet back in the 90's they let the genie out of the bottle now because of napster people think that they can take a song someone poured their heart and soul into and download it for free, or maybe pay $.99 cents for it if they feel guilty every now and then.

The metric has moved from product to performance, bands almost have to give away their songs to get people to come to their concerts where they can try to build a core of life experiences with these people and make money on the road.

Very weird. The big lables also blew it by overpaying for artists in the 80's.

Comment

If you had any idea how much newsprint costs you would be amazed. Oh and when your neighbor is out if work because you wouldn't give that "American run company" any more of your money but you circumvent their paywall just tell them "oh sorry, I actually had something to do with you being laid off".

Comment

Yep, same for me and I'll never pay to read that POS... and I don't buy the sob story, the DP website has so many pop ups and ads if they can't make it work with that ad revenue then they should shut it down but I'll never pay.

Comment

Working...
                              X