Broncos vs. Chargers: Game Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos vs. Chargers: Game Notes

Welp. I went. A lady in front of me asked me to stop cheering, then stood up in front of me to block my view (as if), when I ignored her like last weeks split-pea soup. To top it all off, my car was towed. Sometimes, you just have weird days. Let's get to it.

1. Any and all of you talking crap about Wesley Woodyard are flat out delusional. The Broncos are going nowhere without Woodyard on the field this season. If I were a betting man, I would wager the same for next season too.
    2. Hey JDR, perfect timing for a musical chairs experiment. If you feel your biscuits getting a little toasty, it's because somebody put a rucksack full of hand warmers in your back pockets...and lit them on fire.
    3. I said the Broncos couldn't win the SB without Champ. I said Webster wasn't good enough. But Kayvon's a fighter who doesn't give up, and that should count for something. I hope.
    4. Sly Williams has taken huge steps each week since Big Vick's injury. Will it be enough come playoffs? We'll see.
    5. Chemistry is the most important thing to a Defense. Without that, you get...well...the steaming pile of guano that we witnessed last night.
    6. I'm happy that Andre Caldwell had a big game last night. It brings a certain peace to my heart.
    7. Like an anthill in a deluge, the Broncos fought a losing battle until the bitter end...but live to fight another day.
    8. Montee Ball says the Broncos were just out executed, play by play. That my amigos, is fixable (if they can get healthy in time for the playoffs).

Dub has NO EXCUSES.
    Attached Files

Woodyard on the field is good but is he a MIKE? I believe the crossing route to Gates (?) for the Chargers first score was on WW as he ran into our guy. I believe DRC saw it coming but WW didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
      Woodyard on the field is good but is he a MIKE? I believe the crossing route to Gates (?) for the Chargers first score was on WW as he ran into our guy. I believe DRC saw it coming but WW didn't.
      I think you mean the one to the rookie Keenan Allen

Comment

Originally posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
        I think you mean the one to the rookie Keenan Allen
        No, WW was the one out of place not Allen. Allen was probably the guy that did the crossing route. Allen is on the Chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
          No, WW was the one out of place not Allen. Allen was probably the guy that did the crossing route. Allen is on the Chargers.
          No ****... Allen scored the TD on WW. Not gates.

Comment

Sly looked a little more active. His sack was merely a coverage sack, as Rivers stepped up in the pocket, sly just happened to be the closest defender to him. He was one on one by the way.

I don't think anybody wants Woodyard off the field. There was a conversation about him not being a quality MLB, which he's not. And talk of replacing him, because well he is a free agent. And he may price himself out of our range. There are LBs available in the first round who can come in and actually improve what we have.

By the way I was just as excited as you were for Danny to get his opportunity at Mike, and it was a mixed bag of results..

Comment

Originally posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
              No ****... Allen scored the TD on WW. Not gates.
              Yeah, that td was on WW. He was not even watching , was looking away from Allen, and just not even aware of Allen crossing his way, while he was doing ?? sitting in the middle. Allen ran right by him and he didn't even know it.

Comment

WW3 is the best MLB we have on the roster right now. He can at least get the D lined up properly - we look lost out there without him (and changing this up in the middle of the season has not worked). I am not opposed to upgrading to a true 3 down MLBer in the offseason, though S is my top concern for the D right now, again. We could use a Sam Brandon big nickle S.

Comment

Originally posted by BMORE View Post
                  Sly looked a little more active. His sack was merely a coverage sack, as Rivers stepped up in the pocket, sly just happened to be the closest defender to him. He was one on one by the way.
                  Sly also forced an incompletion on another play by getting to Rivers in less than 2 seconds, with penetration right up the middle.

Early in the game, Sly was pushed off the LOS a few yards. Later in the game, Sly held his ground and flowed to the ball a lot better. Hope he can continue to take monster leaps as we get closer to the playoffs. Gap control is vital.

I don't think anybody wants Woodyard off the field. There was a conversation about him not being a quality MLB, which he's not.
                  I don't think that's true. Broncos held a top five run Defense until the injuries piled up. Wood had a major neck injury in game 5, and is the emotional leader of the Defense.

There are LBs available in the first round who can come in and actually improve what we have.
                  I think getting a starting DB in round 1 is not only the top priority, but would also present better value. Champ is done. Mike Adams contract is up. Nacho is not starter material.

By the way I was just as excited as you were for Danny to get his opportunity at Mike, and it was a mixed bag of results.
                  As it turns out, Danny didn't play much MIKE. Lenon played MIKE in Base Defense, and Wood played half-field LB in Nickel. As you can see from the picture. Wood started at MIKE in the 2nd half.
                  Last edited by pricejj; 12-14-2013, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
                    While true, there were also 2 other guys in underneath zones that Allen ran past with the ball before even turning upfield.
                    Yes, that is true. The defense looked completely out of place on that TD or confused. Hell they looked that way the entire game.

Comment

The Broncos can win the Super Bowl without Champ Bailey. If for some reason they don't win the Super Bowl, please don't blame it on a 35 year old Cornerback that is physically unable to keep up with the younger and faster WR's in the league. Go back and look at the plays where Champ was in this year. The majority of them he was getting beat and wasn't making any plays.

I would even go as far as saying if it wasn't for Champ getting beat for scores twice last year against Baltimore, Moore would not of been in that position to get beat like he did and that final drive wouldn't of meant anything.

I don't get the hype for an aging 35 year old CB who has been getting beat more often than making plays.

I've been a huge Champ fan since he came over from the Redskins in the Portis trade. I've rooted for him and always loved his open field tackling technique. He was one of the best making open field tackles and defending the pass. But you have to put a guy to pasture when his abilities dwindle. He probably hung on a year too long. I love the guy. To say we have to have him to win the Super Bowl is totally ludicrous.

That's just my my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco9798 View Post
                        The Broncos can win the Super Bowl without Champ Bailey. If for some reason they don't win the Super Bowl, please don't blame it on a 35 year old Cornerback that is physically unable to keep up with the younger and faster WR's in the league. Go back and look at the plays where Champ was in this year. The majority of them he was getting beat and wasn't making any plays.

I would even go as far as saying if it wasn't for Champ getting beat for scores twice last year against Baltimore, Moore would not of been in that position to get beat like he did and that final drive wouldn't of meant anything.

I don't get the hype for an aging 35 year old CB who has been getting beat more often than making plays.

I've been a huge Champ fan since he came over from the Redskins in the Portis trade. I've rooted for him and always loved his open field tackling technique. He was one of the best making open field tackles and defending the pass. But you have to put a guy to pasture when his abilities dwindle. He probably hung on a year too long. I love the guy. To say we have to have him to win the Super Bowl is totally ludicrous.

That's just my my opinion.
                        He's played better in his limited snaps than the guys that have started in his place. And that's what really matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly_Eli View Post
                          He's played better in his limited snaps than the guys that have started in his place. And that's what really matters.
                          He's done absolutely nothing in his limited snaps, except get beat. Rewind the games and watch. I have. He got beat more than he made any plays. He even got beat and made a bad decision one time so bad that Del Rio was bitching him out pretty badly and then he never returned. He's came back out of the games everytime he went in. He can't even finish but a few series.

I just don't get the love for a 35 year old CB playing in the NFL who has done absolutely nothing when giving a chance. He can't keep up period.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco9798 View Post

I just don't get the love for a 35 year old CB playing in the NFL who has done absolutely nothing when giving a chance. He can't keep up period.
                            The Broncos need a starting 2CB who can make stops. Right now. Without that, I don't think they can win an SB this year.

The only guy on the Broncos roster who can do that, is a healthy Champ. If Champ can't get healthy (he probably won't), Webster will continue to be targeted. The Defense will continue to break down, and not be able to get off the field on 3rd down.

I'm holding out hope that Webster keeps fighting until the end, and it will be barely good enough.
                            Last edited by pricejj; 12-14-2013, 11:55 AM.

Comment

@Price- Sly showed flashes of ability, hopefully we see more consistency down the stretch.

The demise of our run defense has everything to do with the loss of Wolfe and Vickerson than it does Woodyards playing dropping off some after his injury.

I saw Danny lined up at Mike. I didn't count the snap break down. But I saw Lenon playing some at Weakside, there was even an Irving sighting. Trevethan was moved around, but he did play snaps at Mike.

We absolutely need a DB, but that doesn't mean it will be good value. There are second and third round DBs that will be there that represent good value. I expect DRC to be resigned, Harris to be signed. So unless a rookie bears either out, he would get time in subpackages. And that's if he beats Webster, who while not liked by the forum, will have a full NFL season under his belt and an offseason.

The Safety position on our team certainly needs help, but it depends how our FO views Moore, Ihenacho, and Carter. The Safety class doesn't look strong as of right now, I'm not into of the idea of reaching for one.

Comment

Working...
                              X