Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Say Denver is one & done again in the playoffs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say Denver is one & done again in the playoffs...

How much does Elway need to look into a coaching change? I like Fox but my original appeal with him was that he's a very by the books type of guy. He'd get our team from it's lowly losing state of the McDaniels era back to playing solid defense, not beating itself, and the offense would be efficient. Even better, it would be completely opposite of Josh McDaniels. My thoughts were he would bring us back to respectability. That definitately happened with Tebow at the helm, to a "T". When Elway signed Manning, obviously it accelerated our return to upper echelon status in the AFC.

Here we are on year 2 knocking on the door and my bigger fears about Fox have come true… it feels like we've leveled off. We're too conservative, borderline tight in big games. He brings no difference making capability to the table when the stakes are greatest. His straight lace mentality actually eliminates some of the advantage we have with #18 and talent we have. Combine that with the fact that Fox has never won it all as head coach. He's got close and never finished the deal. My fear is leaving him in place and failing to break through and wasting the twilight years of #18 in Denver when we could realistically get 1-2 super bowls with his production.

I think if we go one and out again or fail to make a big splash in the playoffs, Elway is going to be forced to make a decision from the safe choice, towards somebody who has the gumption to get this program/players to the next level as quickly as possible. I doubt we'd see a OC/DC hired, or a college coach but I would not be surprised to see some other names in play. Say Jon Gruden who has thrived with older QB's or maybe even a Bill Cowher type.

Thoughts?

There's a two-time SB winning coach that is about to available. Seriously tho, we aren't going one and done, and Fox is here to stay.

Comment

I think it would depend on how we lost.

Comment

Injuries.

You just can't be excellent across your roster 2-3 positions deep. Should Mitch Unrein be a starter? Is Kayvon Webster even ready to start at corner? Rookie Sylvester Williams. Who is the starting caliber Safety on this team?

Also, I think we can effectively say (at least recently) that Fox isn't the conservative one because he has been allowing more fourth down attempts than I can ever remember as a Broncos fan. Manning's formula is "take what the defense gives." Guess what, sometimes that looks really conservative. Also, McCoy knew how to present that very scenario - then take it away.

We just need our playmakers to make plays, and a few guys to get healthy. I think that a first round bye will prepare us to win the divisional round, but i'm not so sure about the AFC Championship game if it is in New England.

Comment

I find it very frustrating that we have 2 very good defensive minded coaches, yet we can't an even average defensive performance out of it.

In any case, Fox will probably be here at least as long as Manning is. I don't really see Elway requiring Manning to adjust to a new coach for his last year or two.

Comment

I want a guy who gets the team ready for big games and win them. I'd rather stub my toe against Jax type team once and awhile but, turn around and win against NE Balt NO type teams. Don't we play NFC West in 14?

I think Manning would retire if we canned Fox
            Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 12-13-2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

No way. Look let's not get carried away, it's been a great almost two years now. Last year did not end how we wanted but let's not lose perspective. We lost a playoff game where nothing went our way we still almost won. The regular season this year doesn't mean that much. Would it be good to get home field? Absolutely. Does it guranatee us anything? Nope. As last year proved.

I used to be the guy that was so nervous during every Bronco game I didn't enjoy any of it. That playoff game last year really did a number on me and gave me a new perspective on the regular season. In today's NFL it just doesn't mean that much, and that is proven by how many teams have won it all over the last few years while having to go on the road. So I still get nervous, still want to win...but in the back of my head I know it really doesn't matter until the playoffs.

Fox has done a great job. All you can do is play hard to give yourself the easiest road possible. But once the regular season ends, all bets are off.

Comment

What good did it do the Chargers to fire Marty?

Comment

Give Fox 1 more year......after 2014, both he and Manning are gone.

Then in 2015, bring in Gruden to coach up Twilight.

Comment

Has any coach that went 13-3 (my prediction for this year) in the regular season ever been fired? Even 12-4?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                      I think it would depend on how we lost.
                      I agree. If we get blown down 45-7 then yeah...something like that might happen, but otherwise....we will dance with who we brought to the prom.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighJC View Post
                        Has any coach that went 13-3 (my prediction for this year) in the regular season ever been fired? Even 12-4?
                        Marty Schottenheimer came to mind. I looked it up. His last year with San Diego was an incredible 14-2...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighJC View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Crushaholic View Post
                            Marty Schottenheimer came to mind. I looked it up. His last year with San Diego was an incredible 14-2...
                            That's what I thought of too. Isn't that some crazy ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Crushaholic View Post
                              Now I remember that... thanks. I poked around a little trying to find "terminal records"... seems like that would be an easy stat to find, but I didn't have much luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X