Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Lindsey the New Harris?

His camp is getting the word out now...

He is underpaid.... He has outplayed....

He is upset..... No Love from Elway....Primadona? or is Elway playing with matches by discounting loyalty..ie Wolfe...Harris...etc...

get ready for more fireworks....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-to-do-my-job/

Phillip Lindsay on addition of Melvin Gordon: “I’m going to do my job”

Broncos running back Phillip Lindsay isn’t just going to give his job away to the new guy.

But he’s not mad at Melvin Gordon either.

Lindsay told Mike Klis of KUSA that he’s not prepared to just surrender his starting job — and after rushing for over 1,000 yards there’s no real reason to.

Melvin’s not my enemy,’’ Lindsay said. “He’s my teammate. He needs to do his job but best believe I’m going to do my job.’’

The Broncos signed Gordon to a two-year, $16 million deal (while Lindsay’s still grinding away at minimum wage and waiting on his), so they clearly have a role in mind for him. But Lindsay’s not planning to concede.

“When camp comes around it’s going to be battle,’’ Lindsay said. “I’m not just going to sit there and give somebody the job. They can. But I’m going to go out there and I’m going to battle.

“I’ve heard this stuff my whole entire life. And it’s never ever panned out how everybody has wanted it to pan out. Until someone proves me wrong, I’m going to continue to do what I do.’’

The former undrafted rookie has more than earned his shot at a significant role in the Broncos offense. And again, he’s earned a raise. With a son on the way in May, his economic future ought to be on his mind.

“I feel like I’ve outplayed my contract and I deserve to take care of my family, too,’’ Lindsay said. “But I’m under contract still. For me, my mindset is to play out my contract. The fact is, nothing has to be done. You can’t make anybody do something they don’t want to do.

“And so for me, I put pen to paper, I’ll be here. I didn’t know how the contract worked but I put pen to paper for a certain number of years and I’m going to play my contract and go from there.”

The Broncos have talked about giving Lindsay a raise, but so far they haven’t adjusted his deal. He made $480,000 and $570,000 in his first two seasons, and is due the mininum $750,000 this year. His new friend making more than him only brings that into starker relief.

Our 4th rounder plus Bolles and Lindsay to the Redskins for Trent Williams. We clear salary and get rid of players who probably wont be getting second contracts and we get a top 5 LT to block Lock's blindside for the next 4 years. Williams and is agent know that they cant demand 20m per when Williams hasnt played football for over a year. Elway could give him 4 years 64m with 30m guaranteed and we have a line of Williams, Risner, Ruiz/Cushberry, Glasgow, James and we stilI would have most of our picks in the first 3 rounds. I know its pie in the sky **** but i can dream cant i.

Comment

I thought John said after the season ended they would give Phil a new deal before or during the season. We still have a long way to go. Likely the Broncos want to see how many high picks they have and go through the rest of the FA trash and then see how much cash is left over to give him a much earned raise.

I don't see them moving him after only giving Gordon a 2 year deal. I think the Gordon move was more to put a better outlet option on the field for Lock and to improve the depth. Gordon knows how to get into the endzone. How many times did they wear out Phil and even Freeman getting from the 20 to the 20 then on 1st and 10 in the redzone hand it off to Booker for a loss?

I still think they draft a RB late or go through the UDFA pile too but our backfield is stacked now. Plus if they do make the trade and get a position of need then great. Any one remember Mike Bell? Wasn't he a huge Bronco fan too?

Comment

I think Lindsay has a legit beef with the Broncos. First, he was in their backyard and they did not draft him; his mother had to convince him to sign with the Broncos after they took David Williams over him. Then, he produces consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, energizes a running game that otherwise would have had Freeman and Booker as the top guys. Then, Elway said he was going to take care of Lindsay. Instead, the Broncos give $13.5 million guaranteed to Melvin Gordon, a RB with one 1,000-yard season and also only one season above 4.0 YPC.

The calling card for Gordon is scoring touchdowns, 9.4 TD per season, but Lindsay has 8.5 TD per season. Lindsay still has not fumbled in the regular season, while Gordon has 14 career fumbles, including 4 last season. The money Gordon is making does not indicate a depth move, it looks like he is going to be the featured back and Lindsay will get the scraps. So yeah, Lindsay should be mad at this situation.

Comment

I kind of figured this would happen with the Gordon signing. Lindsay is gone after 2020.
          Last edited by Agamemnon; 03-30-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

never a better time to trade him for something.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
              I kind of figured this would happen with the Gordon signing. Lindsay is gone after 2020.
              We'll see. They might be able give Lindsay a small bump in salary this year. But the Broncos will certainly hold onto him this year unless he's traded away. Most teams are going to have 2 backs contribute heavily. You can only really pay 1 of them good money though and the other will always be the back who's striving to be the primary back who makes the lionshare of the money, but won't.

Comment

Loyalty is not a trait valued in the Valley of the Doves...

Elway is coldblooded, ruthless.....

often to the detriment of his team.

It is why he lost the lockeroom after he cut Talib....Ward.....

Look at how he did Tebow.

He will do it to anyone.

Yet the fanbase shows him undying loyalty....

Oh the IRONY!

staywoke...!

#Anti-HOMERS are a real thing!

Comment

Welcome back, wolf!

Comment

Love Lindsay but he already started getting injuries last season. It's only going to get tougher at 5'8, 190lb. I hope he balls out and nets a $10-15M per year contract from somebody. I think we all know it won't be Denver.

RB is a brutal position for anybody. Very hard to see guys make it to 2nd contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by wolf754life View Post
                      Loyalty is not a trait valued in the Valley of the Doves...

Elway is coldblooded, ruthless.....

often to the detriment of his team.

It is why he lost the lockeroom after he cut Talib....Ward.....

Look at how he did Tebow.

He will do it to anyone.

Yet the fanbase shows him undying loyalty....

Oh the IRONY!

staywoke...!

#Anti-HOMERS are a real thing!
                      Ridiculous. The most cold blooded GM in the league is also the most successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec Bronco View Post
                        Welcome back, wolf!
                        well we lost our Heart and Soul up front.

Wolfe had such cold blue steel....Nothing like hearing the 300 sections rain down that howl as the opposition ran its punter on the field. Wolfe got us going! And his teammates too! That is a rare commodity, one to not be discarded so easily.

Chubb wants it bad, but he might be made of glass. Don't get me started on Von, who has been stealing money and ho's since he minted super bowl 50. At his rate of decline Von will be a borderline Hall of Famer. He better step up or he is out of town after this year!

The Broncos record under Von Miller as the ALPHA leader (post #18) era has been atrocious...

I'm concerned about the Toughness quotient of this Defense.

Loyalty is what counts when times are toughest, "The six inches in front of your face!"

Toughness is one of the biggest traits/factors to be successful at football, especially at the professional level.

Elway's teams haven't been tough for almost a half decade now. The good news is Fangio inspires and demands it. Will be interesting to say the least.

And alot of the Danny T's, Talib's, Wards, Harris's, Wolfe's, Tebow's have been shown what it means to be the toughest guy on its unit.

Stay Tuned...

I couldn't love Drew Lock more, and I am stoked to see him throw it 40+ a game. His arm talent and Moxy are what dreams are made of, and he is alot football smarter than most realize.. A true STAR!

But I'm worried about the team psyche more than anything at this point.

Holistic rebuilds require EVERYONE and EVERYTHING to buy "in"

But guys like Garrett Bolles aren't held accountable, if you are an Elway pet you get a pass....Hell look at Juwan "Tissue Soft" "Money Stealing" James.

Elway should have found a way out of that contract this year, but either he didn't have the out because he negotiated it that poorly, or he is embarrassed that the 60 million dollar mistake he made would be noticed by everyone. Even though it clearly has....

ELWAY didn't even find out if James loved football.... Yet he is making 13 mill this season. !

and it seems like by knifing Wolfe and Lindsay. and lots of guys nobody cares about except their teammates like McGovern for example...
                        this is stuff only the lockeroom notices.

Shelby Harris will be in the lockeroom espousing how cold blooded free agency is and how the Broncos really feel about guts and drive.

The Broncos may be going nowhere fast in the hearts and minds of our players.

Elway is the biggest gambler around.....

The Duke is losing credibility with his own team....

Comment

I love Lindsay, but it makes no sense for the Broncos to pay him this year. He has 2 years in the league, that's it. He played great and well beyond what people thought, or he would have been drafted sooner. But he played better in his first year imo - why when a new player (no matter how much you love him) plays not as good in his 2nd year, would you then pay him a new contract?

He had less yards in more carries (less ypc), less reception yards, and less reception yards per catch - also less TDs.

If another NFL team who drafted a player suddenly gave that player a new contact after only their 2nd year.. and their 2nd year was not as good in most categories, would you question their move? Especially when you don't -have- to pay him? They are building a team - and it's a tough business, sometimes you have to not make those deals too early.

I hope he stays, and he -does- get paid, because I really like him! But I don't think you can criticize the Broncos for this move at all, either. If this were any other team, most here would point and laugh at them for signing a 2nd year player to a big contract after 2 years, when in their 2nd year, their performance dropped.

Comment

They could throw him a bone. Maybe double his contract for the next 2 years. Dude has balled out for us. I agree no big deal is warranted. We have him by the short curlies for the next 2 years.

Comment

I like Lindsay's response to this. He should be pissed, but at the same time he should be motivated to show up, prove everybody wrong (again), and earn his touches and potential contract. We'll see if he actually does that when training camp comes around.

Comment

Working...
                              X