Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes a little bit of adversity is a good thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes a little bit of adversity is a good thing.

Ok, I know you're going to say "here goes Khan blowing his homer sunshine up our hindquarters again," but hear me out.

This team just lost to a good team on a short week. Granted, they had a short week too, but the Chargers all year have been a team to that beats teams they shouldn't and loses to teams they should beat.

The team is going to have ten days for this to fester. They also were exposed a bit by a coach that knows the team and most of <s>its</s>(for Brock) it's personnel intimately. This will give the coaches plenty of time to go over everything and really evaluate. Last season after the Ravens lost to us, they were doing a round table about how bad it was to lose late and Bill Cowher was the only guy who said it could be a good thing. He said "losing gives you an edge, and you need that edge going into the playoffs." They certainly came out with one going on to win the whole thing. After the Titans game everyone was talking about how awesome the Broncos were and I think after getting over the "cold throwing" thing they felt they were invincible. Now maybe they'll clean up those issues. After every loss we've played much better the following game and won. That is a fact.

Let's assume that the Patriots win out and get home field throughout the playoffs. We'll have to go into Gilette and win. I think we can and it would finally silence all the critics.

And honestly, it's much more likely that they drop one. They have been hanging on by the skin of their teeth for the last several games. It would not surprise me to see them drop one between now and the playoffs. We can take care of business and be in the playoffs. Then hopefully this game will have given us kick in the butt we need to be ready for the next game.

Yeah, gotta keep some perspective. The Pats needed an act of God to overcome the Browns. But they still have a shot to go all the way to the dance. Like most Championship seasons for most teams, it takes a mix of playing your best ball at the best time and some luck.

I'm officially asking Santa for a healthy Champ for the playoffs though. Watching Kayvon get Roc'd over and over again is getting tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
      Let's assume that the Patriots win out and get home field throughout the playoffs. We'll have to go into Gilette and win. I think we can and it would finally silence all the critics.
      Hopefully, beating Houston and Oakland will allow us to get our mojo back. Playing Tom Brady will mandate a winning frame of mind. At times, last night, we were playing scared (especially on special teams)...

Comment

Yeah, I'm hoping this serves as the kick in the ass this team needs. Last year we hit the playoffs on an eleven game win streak and screwed up.

Week 15 last year we destroyed Baltimore on their own field, did anyone see them winning the SB after that?

In fact, the eventual Superbowl winners have lost in Week 15 the last four years running. They are 2-6 over the last eight years.

Does this mean we're gonna win the SB? No. But it shows that the sky isn't falling.

Comment

Originally posted by Crushaholic View Post
          Hopefully, beating Houston and Oakland will allow us to get our mojo back. Playing Tom Brady will mandate a winning frame of mind. At times, last night, we were playing scared (especially on special teams)...
          Yeah the first return looked good and then Trindon looked scared and has been making bad decisions.

If this team is going to go on a run, it's going to take a big play of some kind to send the team forward with momentum.

Comment

Hopefully, they will take the next 10 days and live life to it is fullest.

Comment

I just want people to get healthy. Getting a healthy Welker, Wolfe, and Champ will be great. Moore too for the Champ game if we get there. Ending the Paris Lenon experiment can't come soon enough.

Comment

Mental mistakes.

I'm not sure I understand or agree with the coaches decision to shake up the defense as much as it has been, but hopefully it works out.

Comment

I'm going to play the role of the wet blanket here: shouldn't the NE loss been most/all the "adversity" this team needed?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                    I'm going to play the role of the wet blanket here: shouldn't the NE loss been most/all the "adversity" this team needed?
                    You'd like to think. But it happens to a lot of teams.

Look at our '97 run. A few weeks after losing to the Chiefs at home in a big divisional game, we lost two of the last three to lose the division to them as well.

Then there was the playoffs.

Comment

I certainly won't be deflated by the loss last night, but there are certainly some red flags. The offense will be ok, they will rebound and drop some points, beat the records, and make history in the next two games. That will be awesome.

The defense however. I kept asking myself last night how much we missed Vickerson inside. Not because he was an all-pro, but because when we put him next to Knighton, the pocket pushed inward two steps at the beginning of every play. That allows the LB's to track and flow without being compromised by O-linemen downfield. It allows for a dominating presence on first and second down. I am happily surprised with Sly, and his productivity the past few games but he's not nearly as powerful as Vickerson. He holds the line, but can't push it. That's the difference in getting gashed last night, and what we saw at the beginning of the season. Unfortunately, we can't fix that this year, and we are bound to get pushed around in the running game from here on out.

I don't think Kayvon played poorly at all, I just think Rivers was making perfect throws. Kayvon had pretty tight coverage all night, and had his arm in to rip away passes - they all just missed by an inch. It was just the perfect storm for Rivers, who was playing exceptionally well.

Also, with Woodyard in and out - who fires this defense up? He has been the vocal guy for a while, and Vickerson has been the big nasty - who takes over? My final issue that i yelled about last night was that our defense just doesn't try to beat anyone up. I mean, my theory is even when you see an offensive player crossing the goal line for a sure TD - nail him. Pound him as hard as possible and hope for the touchback. We just watched a couple of those waltz in last night and that kind of defense just pisses me off. If you get paid to hit, do it every play.

We'll be ok, but only because the rest of the AFC is a little depleted. I'm just not sure we are built to beat the Patriots (because they will run on us), and especially the Seahawks. Their run game might be the most violent in the league right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                        Ok, I know you're going to say "here goes Khan blowing his homer sunshine up our hindquarters again," but hear me out.

This team just lost to a good team on a short week. Granted, they had a short week too, but the Chargers all year have been a team to that beats teams they shouldn't and loses to teams they should beat.

The team is going to have ten days for this to fester. They also were exposed a bit by a coach that knows the team and most of <s>its</s>(for Brock) it's personnel intimately. This will give the coaches plenty of time to go over everything and really evaluate. Last season after the Ravens lost to us, they were doing a round table about how bad it was to lose late and Bill Cowher was the only guy who said it could be a good thing. He said "losing gives you an edge, and you need that edge going into the playoffs." They certainly came out with one going on to win the whole thing. After the Titans game everyone was talking about how awesome the Broncos were and I think after getting over the "cold throwing" thing they felt they were invincible. Now maybe they'll clean up those issues. After every loss we've played much better the following game and won. That is a fact.

And honestly, it's much more likely that they drop one. They have been hanging on by the skin of their teeth for the last several games. It would not surprise me to see them drop one between now and the playoffs. We can take care of business and be in the playoffs. Then hopefully this game will have given us kick in the butt we need to be ready for the next game.
                        I agree with you 100% on the adversity. I don't want everything to be easy. I want us to feel pressure, and I want us to know if we play bad we will lose. That motivates you to play better. However, I am concerned the defense is just not good and can't be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker View Post

In fact, the eventual Superbowl winners have lost in Week 15 the last four years running. They are 2-6 over the last eight years.

Does this mean we're gonna win the SB? No. But it shows that the sky isn't falling.
                          This makes me feel a whole lot better.

Comment

It sucks but they lost to a good team by 7 points, it's not the end of the world.

I remember when the Broncos lost to the Steelers in their first super bowl season and thinking it was the end of the world. Championships are not determined during the regular season.

Comment

Well yeah...what did these "sky is falling" morons think? The road to win the Super Bowl was supposed to be easy?

The same people probably hate their lives as well.

We played a division opponent...beating the same team twice in a season is not exactly easy no matter who it is...especially when their HC was our OC for the past 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X