This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

Eagles always work the cap to their advantage. People said for 4 years straight that they couldn't keep everyone and pay Wentz yet they did it. Once they needed to let folks go this year, they did and then replaced them with better players and they are reportedly hot after Ruggs in the draft.
    People did it too when Denver signed Manning. They are saying same thing about queefs. I swear people don't pay attention.

Comment

• You gotta really **** things up to be in bad cap shape. A few teams reported to be in bad cap shape this year made a bunch of moves in free agency. It's pretty tough to put yourself in a spot you can't get out of in a sport where more than half the money a player signs for isn't guaranteed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aztec Bronco View Post
        You gotta really **** things up to be in bad cap shape. A few teams reported to be in bad cap shape this year made a bunch of moves in free agency. It's pretty tough to put yourself in a spot you can't get out of in a sport where more than half the money a player signs for isn't guaranteed.
        You got to do like Rams did or Lions a few years ago. Get too much money tied up in 4 or 5 players.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post

People did it too when Denver signed Manning. They are saying same thing about queefs. I swear people don't pay attention.
          Yeah, it's a sickness. History repeats itself all the time.

Comment

You got to do like Rams did or Lions a few years ago. Get too much money tied up in 4 or 5 players.
            It's not the money, it's the structure. Teams keep pushing money into the future and the bill comes due.

Comment

It's not the money, it's the structure. Teams keep pushing money into the future and the bill comes due.
              Thats what nice about the Broncos right now. Next year they might be tight, but they have some guys that are expendable. In 2022 they have Bouye, Jackson, Von, Callahan, Gordon all coming off the Books. Casey and James can be cut for minimal dead money. They won't have a ton of young guys to sign (Johnson after an RFA next year and Sutton). They can have 1 big spending year before needing to pay Lock, or they can restructure and push some money to 2022 to get cap space next season (or this season).

They do need a good draft so they can have a few more starters on rookie contract. If they get 3-4 guys that are starters in 2022 from this draft, then thats a huge win.

Comment

• Originally posted by sgbfan View Post

Thats what nice about the Broncos right now. Next year they might be tight, but they have some guys that are expendable. In 2022 they have Bouye, Jackson, Von, Callahan, Gordon all coming off the Books. Casey and James can be cut for minimal dead money. They won't have a ton of young guys to sign (Johnson after an RFA next year and Sutton). They can have 1 big spending year before needing to pay Lock, or they can restructure and push some money to 2022 to get cap space next season (or this season).

They do need a good draft so they can have a few more starters on rookie contract. If they get 3-4 guys that are starters in 2022 from this draft, then thats a huge win.
                Indeed. We need a strong draft and ideally, those expendable guys become important that we don't have to expend them but extend them.

Comment

I don't remember the Rams exact number but they had like 80 percent of the cap into Goff, TG3, Cooks, Ramsey, Donald and yep they kept getting more expensive as it went.

Comment

I don't remember the Rams exact number but they had like 80 percent of the cap into Goff, TG3, Cooks, Ramsey, Donald and yep they kept getting more expensive as it went.
                    I always have to remind you and Scribe that yes, the cap can be manipulated, but it is "real". If it wasn't, Byron Jones would still be a Cowboy, for example. Along with several other examples (many of the bigger name FA's who have changed teams) I could point out.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyR View Post

I always have to remind you and Scribe that yes, the cap can be manipulated, but it is "real". If it wasn't, Byron Jones would still be a Cowboy, for example. Along with several other examples (many of the bigger name FA's who have changed teams) I could point out.
                      It's largely fictional. Had the salaries been front loaded or flat they wouldn't have lost anyone.
                      The teams that always have to let players go are the ones that backload contracts to an insane amount or constantly restructure players and push money into the future.
                      Teams have a bad habit of not properly staggering their contracts. Byron Jones would still be a Cowboy if Cooper and Dak didn't hit FA at the same time.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyR View Post

Yes, the cap can be manipulated, but every dollar you spend has to be accounted for in the cap. Its why I think cap hit by year isn't a great number. Glasgow only costs 6 million this year, but at the cost of adding 1-2 million more the next 3 years. If he stays here 4 years, hell cost 11 million per year against the cap. If you look at 2023, and see his 14 million, its only that high because of the savings that he has this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by sgbfan View Post

Yes, the cap can be manipulated, but every dollar you spend has to be accounted for in the cap. Its why I think cap hit by year isn't a great number. Glasgow only costs 6 million this year, but at the cost of adding 1-2 million more the next 3 years. If he stays here 4 years, hell cost 11 million per year against the cap. If you look at 2023, and see his 14 million, its only that high because of the savings that he has this season.
                          Over the cap has projections for 3 years.
                          2021 for those under contract (45) we have $56M ish. Simmons is not included as he’s on a tag. Sutton will need to be addressed does not include this years rookie class.

Comment

• Originally posted by CEH View Post

Over the cap has projections for 3 years.
                            2021 for those under contract (45) we have $56M ish. Simmons is not included as he’s on a tag. Sutton will need to be addressed does not include this years rookie class.

Simmons will probably save money this year, but have a bigger cap hit in years 3-4. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bolles 5th year option exercised(only guaranteed for injury). That's going to take 25 million, then this year's rookie class plus next year's is probably 15 more. Next year's cap can shrink pretty quickly

Comment

Cincy is spending like they plan to win this year or something lol
                              Spending like they will have a QB on a rookie contract

Comment

• Originally posted by Allen C View Post

Spending like they will have a QB on a rookie contract
                                ****, they didn't spend this much when Dalton was on a rookie contract.

Comment

Working...
                                X