Special Teams Lost us the game yet again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Teams Lost us the game yet again

What was Holiday thinking with the fair catch at the 6 with wide open space in front of him. And don't get started with that boneheaded offsides.

It was a team loss. No unit played particularly well.

Comment

fox keeps playing him, the coaches keep playing the wrong guys at the wrong positions, wrong wrong wrong....

Comment

He's a fast player who suffers from small hands and mental midget'ness. The guy has absolutely no football awareness. Unfortunately we seem to have collected a bunch of these guys on the bottom of this roster and now they are starting to be pressed into consistent game action because of injuries.

Comment

We're at least 12-1-1 if we weren't so sloppy

Comment

The loss wasn't on Holliday.

That being said -- why in the world did he field the ball if he wasn't going to run with it? And why did he signal a fair catch when no one was within 10 yards of him? Bizarre, and a good sign that it's time to find a new ST coach at the very least.

Comment

I'll have to go look for the threads but I called this in preseason. Hiwd it bite us in our ass :-)

Comment

I'm done with Holiday even with his big play potential. The fumbles and now the scared little bitch fair catch. We need a return man in the first three rounds of the draft.

Comment

Coach has basically killed Holiday and now ST's isn't a strength anymore. Guy makes a mistake and he's benched. That dynamic ability has been lost.

Comment

The offsides lost us the game you give Peyton the ball midfield and you got to like our chances and the chargers don't get to eat up so much clock. I don't even call for the block just set up the return. New special teams coach in needed maybe even before the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by maven View Post
                      Coach has basically killed Holiday and now ST's isn't a strength anymore. Guy makes a mistake and he's benched. That dynamic ability has been lost.
                      You can't make mistakes on returns, other than once in a blue moon. They are just too catastrophic.

Comment

He's right in the fact that Holiday has lost that killer instinct and is playing scared

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                          You can't make mistakes on returns, other than once in a blue moon. They are just too catastrophic.
                          He's made two. Welker comes in as a replacement and makes an error that cost the Broncos a game. Decker isn't providing anything back there. ST's, which was a strength has now gone down the toilet.

Comment

What the in world has happened to my adopted player? Nuts. They were outstanding early on. Other than maybe line play, the most underrated element of football.

Comment

Originally posted by phisig150 View Post
                              What was Holiday thinking with the fair catch at the 6 with wide open space in front of him. And don't get started with that boneheaded offsides.
                              I won't blame this game only on ST's, because everyone sucked, but the off sides was the point of no return.

The off sides was on Trevathan, a very good player that made a stupid mistake. It was the icing on the "stupid play" cake.

But Holiday did not make a mistake, imo. I believe he did what he is coached to do in that situation. Go back and watch the play, and keep it in context.

The kick was from mid-field where good coverage is almost a given. His number one job is to field the punt cleanly, and don't fumble being a hero. Because it was kicked from mid-field and high enough for the gunners to get there, he is fully expecting to be hit if he tries to run it.

What he doesn't know is that the gunner got blocked and fell down about 10 yards away from him. Why didn't he see it? Because he isn't sitting in a comfy recliner watching the game from a TV. His eyes are glued to the football that is still in the air when the player gets pushed down.

Returners fumble the ball when they take their eyes off the ball mid-flight just before impact. They are looking to run. Again, he was expecting the defenders to be there, and they weren't because the lead guy fell down.

I'd be surprised if he gets into trouble for that. Keeping in mind his fumbling problem, I think he did what he was told to do, and it backfired. It was that kind of night.

Comment

Working...
                              X