Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Youtube vs Hulu vs Sling - what do some of you cable cutters prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youtube vs Hulu vs Sling - what do some of you cable cutters prefer?

I've decided to go ahead and give this a whirl and see how the savings are. I pay $100 a month for the Gigablast internet so my streaming quality should be very solid. But I'm just trying to decide which route to go here (YouTube TV, Hulu or Sling). It seems like most of these streaming TV services all have the same channels, which seem to be most of the more common channels cable subscribers watch anyway. The only premium channels I get are HBO and Showtime and those are now available through any of these streaming TV services (although I didn't see Showetime as being available on Sling) but pretty sure you could just get the app for it and subscribe directly.

Anyway, let's get some opinions on these services. Thanks .

Youtubetv is my favorite. Unlimited DVR. It automatically records sporting events extra time. You can simply add "NFL games" and it will record all NFL games. It has most the sports channels (although no NFL network I don't think).

Comment

Originally posted by sgbfan View Post
      Youtubetv is my favorite. Unlimited DVR. It automatically records sporting events extra time. You can simply add "NFL games" and it will record all NFL games. It has most the sports channels (although no NFL network I don't think).
      You mean 'all NFL games' as in what's being shown on local TV channels, or do you mean 'ANY' game? Curious.

EDIT: I think I found the answer on that one.

I just wish there was a way to change your 'local' channels to be from a different city, I would prefer to have Denver local TV instead of Phoenix. Is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post

You mean 'all NFL games' as in what's being shown on local TV channels, or do you mean 'ANY' game? Curious.

EDIT: I think I found the answer on that one.

I just wish there was a way to change your 'local' channels to be from a different city, I would prefer to have Denver local TV instead of Phoenix. Is that possible?
        No, you can't use a VPN unfortunately. It will use the city you are in for the local channels.

You can add a team, or you can add NFL games. I added "NFL playoffs" and have "Denver Broncos" and "Utah Jazz" and it records all the applicable games.

Comment

Originally posted by sgbfan View Post

No, you can't use a VPN unfortunately. You can add a team, or you can add NFL games. I added "NFL playoffs" and have "Denver Broncos" and "Utah Jazz" and it records all the applicable games.
          Didn't think so. I'm stuck using Gamepass for now, hahaha. Still, that's not a bad option. $99 for the entire year, any game, just can't watch it live. But I honestly never do really. I always DVR and do something during the day and then watch and skip commercials.

Comment

I'm a Youtube TV subscriber now. Used to have PS Vue, switched over to YTV once PSV went belly up.
            I like it. It's better than Sling. I had Hulu Live when it's beta phase was going on, it was ok but not great.

Comment

Been on a trial with YTV. It kicks Sling's ass, for sure. The iPad app is friggin' bad ass.

Comment

Antenna.

Comment

YouTube TV is what I have. I got the Sunday ticket for 99 bucks for now so what I like is I pull 3 TVs into my living room and have the 2 or 1 local game on and whatever other game I want on. Seems to work good so far and since i travel a lot it goes with you to your hotels via phone,tablet or even Roku stick. Make sure you have enough data on your wifi plan though or Cox will screw you if you go over.

Comment

I'm happy w YouTube TV. When I moved to another state, my YTTV local stations did not change. Maybe there is a way to initiate the YTTV subscription using Denver info then change your billing info in the future. Just a thought.

Comment

Antenna and a Channel Master DVR

Comment

What are you paying for YouTube TV these days? I tested it out when it first came online but they barely had any channels then.

Comment

YouTube tv, Netflix, Disney plus does the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post

I use YouTube TV and love it, although the recent price hike from the old grandfathered price of $35/month to $50 blows.

I live outside CO, so I also use a GPS spoofing app on my phone (I use 'Fake Gps' from the Play Store) and set my location Denver when needed to watch a Bronco game not on regional or national TV. Granted it's on your phone, but you could cast it to a TV I believe.

That trick alone is worth it.

Comment

You set your ‚ÄĚHome Area" when you sign up. This is to confirm you live in a market where YTTV is offered (I don't think you can use it everywhere, or at least you couldn't when I first signed up years ago). Don't confuse this "Home Area" with "Current Area", which is derived by your GPS location on a GPS-enabled device, like a phone. That can be reset every session if you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X