Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1917

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1917

    I would recommend this movie to everyone. It will leave you basically speechless when the movie ends.

    On a side note, the director Sam Mendes INSPIRED by the story of his grandfather Alfred Mendes. Alfred Mendes served in WWI and he was an accomplished author himself. He had told stories to Sam Mendes and they affected him.

    Alfred Mendes was a neighbor of my grandfather in Trinidad which is where he lived. Didn't realize any of this. I have two uncles that informed me about it. They, along with my mother were friends with Jameson Mendes (Sam's father.) I do recall visiting my grandparents house in Trinidad and there was an "uncle Alfy" that would come over. He was humorous and fun with us. He was not my uncle but down there, friends of families are often referred to as uncles or aunties.



    If you see the movie it is, interesting to watch the true story that inspired Sam Mendes to make this movie.
    Last edited by Broncoblood32; 02-12-2020, 03:50 AM.

  • #2
    A great movie. The score really made it for me.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Johnykbr View Post
      A great movie. The score really made it for me.


      Very powerful

      Comment


      • #4
        How foreign language Parasite could beat out 1917 for the Oscars Best Picture is beyond me. Pure PC by the Academy.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bronc62 View Post
          How foreign language Parasite could beat out 1917 for the Oscars Best Picture is beyond me. Pure PC by the Academy.
          Well some of the academy said 1917 was too "nationalistic" which proves to me that they definitely didn't watch it. I know quite a few people that didn't see it because they thought it was just going to be Saving Private Ryan in WW1 which is the furthest thing from the truth.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Johnykbr View Post

            Well some of the academy said 1917 was too "nationalistic" which proves to me that they definitely didn't watch it. I know quite a few people that didn't see it because they thought it was just going to be Saving Private Ryan in WW1 which is the furthest thing from the truth.
            Yeap, social justice warriors attacking film and anyone who sees it for not being diverse enough.

            Comment


            • #7
              1917 amazing movie, you must see it on the big screen.
              it is a cinimatic masterpiece.
              you will be rivited to the screen from the first minute of the film until the last.

              I just watched parasite. interesting movie but it will fade quickly into the background abart from the award winning excitement.
              a korean version of get out.

              if you saw la la land and appreciate the opening #on the freeway, then 1917 is your film !

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Broncoblood32 View Post

                Yeap, social justice warriors attacking film and anyone who sees it for not being diverse enough.

                Oh stop building strawmen

                First off, the academy awards are as political as anything (not as in government politics, but Hollywood politics. don't pay that any mind)

                Secondly, I loved Parasite. I thought it was fantastic. I also thought 1917 was fantastic, though obviously a much simpler visceral story.

                Can't we just celebrate both movies without figuring out "which is better?" When they couldn't be more different?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post

                  Oh stop building strawmen

                  First off, the academy awards are as political as anything (not as in government politics, but Hollywood politics. don't pay that any mind)

                  Secondly, I loved Parasite. I thought it was fantastic. I also thought 1917 was fantastic, though obviously a much simpler visceral story.

                  Can't we just celebrate both movies without figuring out "which is better?" When they couldn't be more different?
                  Who the **** are you quoting?Never said **** about Parasite or which one is better.

                  Secondly, social justice losers are attacking the movie for not being diverse enough? What are your ****ing thoughts on that?

                  Third, hollywood nor any elitist that live decedent lives should never lecture anyone about anything.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bronc62 View Post
                    How foreign language Parasite could beat out 1917 for the Oscars Best Picture is beyond me. Pure PC by the Academy.
                    It won because it was the better film, and I say that having loved 1917. Nothing PC about it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Broncoblood32 View Post

                      Who the **** are you quoting?Never said **** about Parasite or which one is better.

                      Secondly, social justice losers are attacking the movie for not being diverse enough? What are your ****ing thoughts on that?

                      Third, hollywood nor any elitist that live decedent lives should never lecture anyone about anything.
                      I'm not going to watch that video because it's not representative of anything other than a fringe group, if that even exists. I live in Hollywood, work in Hollywood, and I've never heard ONE person complain about lack of diversity in this movie. It's a period piece that was carefully done. It has the utmost respect of most people, as does Sam Mendes.

                      And "decedent lives?"

                      get over yourself. And you call us snowflakes. My lord.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BroncoInferno View Post

                        It won because it was the better film, and I say that having loved 1917. Nothing PC about it.
                        No problem with Parasite getting it. Unique story original story.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The cinematography was amazing and the acting was good. I just wish they had given us a bit more characterization of the two soldiers before they headed off for their mission.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Saving Private Ryan it is not if we’re comparing sentimental Hollywood war movies. That movie took the time to get to know the characters. I didn’t really care about any of the characters and it’s a common criticism I’ve heard from others. Sam Mendes (you could say Roger Deakins) makes pretty pictures but they’re generally quite static and, unlike Spielberg, they never really exist to serve the story.

                            RE score I’m just not a Thomas Newman fan... bit too saccharin and pure Hollywood for me but I will give it another lesson.

                            This felt like a theme park ride using WW1 as a backdrop to me. I think it sentimentalised the war. By contrast I liked but didn’t love “theme park rides” Gravity and The Revenant.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BroncoInferno View Post

                              It won because it was the better film, and I say that having loved 1917. Nothing PC about it.
                              It was the better film but it wasn’t THAT good. It was beautifully constructed but Jong-Hoo (that his name?) just doesn’t have the subtlety to really hammer home the emotional message of that movie. Still it’s well worth a watch.

                              the movie I keep hearing people rave about that I want to see is “Knive’s Out”

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X