X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos, Steelers, Giants could execute a 49ers-like turnaround

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

Denver Broncos (7-9 in 2019)

Denver entered last season with an interesting approach, rolling with veteran QB Joe Flacco and veteran coach Vic Fangio. Most teams were going for young quarterbacks and young head coaches, but the Broncos were like, "Forget that -- we're going the other way!" Zigging when everyone else is zagging sounds great in theory, but it didn't really work out so great for Denver in reality. The Broncos started 0-4. You started to wonder if they had made a mistake with Fangio -- and if the franchise icon who hired Fangio was himself the problem.

Why did the Broncos even bring in an over-the-hill vet like Flacco in the first place? Because it's John Elway. And while the Hall of Fame quarterback-turned-general manager has done a fine job in building various areas of the roster over the years, he just hasn't been able to solve Denver's QB conundrum since Peyton Manning retired. The Broncos are 27-37 since their Super Bowl 50 triumph, missing the playoffs in all four ensuing seasons. Mostly because of the quarterback position. That has to be really frustrating. Imagine being one of the greatest plumbers in human history, but your pipes burst every fall. Like Flacco did.

But alas, in December, Drew Lock arrived!

After suffering a thumb injury in the preseason, the second-round pick spent the first three months of the campaign on injured reserve. But he returned to start the last five games of the season, leading Denver to a 4-1 mark with some pretty encouraging play -- particularly in a 38-24 win at Houston, when Lock outdueled Deshaun Watson by completing 22 of his 27 passes for 309 yards and three touchdowns (against one pick).

So, heading into 2020, the Broncos have an intriguing 23-year-old quarterback. And that's not the only promising young piece on this offense. Running back Phillip Lindsay, an undrafted free-agent signee in 2018, has opened his NFL career with consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons. Courtland Sutton (1,112 receiving yards) looks like a legit WR1, while DaeSean Hamilton closed out last season with the two most productive games of his young career. And maybe tight end Noah Fant can help Broncos fans forget the team took Jake Butt one selection before George Kittle in the 2017 NFL Draft. (Sorry.)

Then there is Fangio's defense, which played quite well despite the fact that Bradley Chubb missed the last three months of the season. The Broncos allowed the 10th-fewest points per game (19.8). Linebacker Alexander Johnson was a breakout star, while Von Miller remained a menace off the edge.

With seven wins, Denver actually enjoyed its most successful season in three years. And honestly, if not for the last-minute heroics by a couple of GOATs -- Mitch Trubisky and Gardner Minshew -- this team could have hit the postseason in the AFC. But that was last year. Let's talk about this coming year, because I love Denver as a playoff team. We still have a long way to go before training camp, but Broncos fans should feel very good about this team's chances -- yes, even with the AFC West featuring the defending champion Chiefs and improving Las Vegas Raiders.

I agree with everything this article said. It really does all hinge on Lock though. Home wins VS detroit and it's backup and a 2 pt failed conversion at home VS the raiders...both teams having horrible Pass defenses....I am very much looking forward to the annual Orangemane training camp QB jizz fest over every Lock throw in practice and preseason game.

something to think about.....If Flacco isn't back, some other legit vet is going to be. Fangio is NOT going into 2020 with nothing behind Lock. I'm rooting hard for Marriotta or the Andy Dalton. Dalton would have to be a trade...so probably won't be him. I don't think he'll be in Denver....Marriotta is JUST the kind of guy the Bears need....veteran to push Trubisky..but sucks bad enough that Trubs can win that competition.

....or maybe....since you have plenty of cap space, and he's going to cost you 13 Million anyhow....maybe Flacco still on the roster?

Comment

Originally posted by Zerovoltz View Post
      I agree with everything this article said. It really does all hinge on Lock though. Home wins VS detroit and it's backup and a 2 pt failed conversion at home VS the raiders...both teams having horrible Pass defenses....I am very much looking forward to the annual Orangemane training camp QB jizz fest over every Lock throw in practice and preseason game.

something to think about.....If Flacco isn't back, some other legit vet is going to be. Fangio is NOT going into 2020 with nothing behind Lock. I'm rooting hard for Marriotta or the Andy Dalton. Dalton would have to be a trade...so probably won't be him. I don't think he'll be in Denver....Marriotta is JUST the kind of guy the Bears need....veteran to push Trubisky..but sucks bad enough that Trubs can win that competition.

....or maybe....since you have plenty of cap space, and he's going to cost you 13 Million anyhow....maybe Flacco still on the roster?
      Still on that, huh?

Comment

San Francisco like turn around?!
        i think that only applies to both the giants since they’ve sucked the longest, just as much as San Francisco had.
        The Steelers are always in contention and the injury to Rothlisberger hurt their season.
        We’ve (broncos) been I. The SB twice in the last 7years or so and won it 4 years ago, it’s not like we’re talking Cleveland Browns or Cincinnati bengals here.

Comment

Originally posted by strafen View Post
          San Francisco like turn around?!
          i think that only applies to both the giants since they’ve sucked the longest, just as much as San Francisco had.
          The Steelers are always in contention and the injury to Rothlisberger hurt their season.
          We’ve (broncos) been I. The SB twice in the last 7years or so and won it 4 years ago, it’s not like we’re talking Cleveland Browns or Cincinnati bengals here.
          How long do you get to bask in the glory of a SB win? (asking for a friend)

Comment

Till the new league year starts then no one care
            on to 2020

Comment

You guys did for 50 years and it wasn't even a real SB.
              ​​​So roll around in it for a while. No one really cares that long unless they never won before though....

Congratulations Zero.

Comment

I still watch XXXII and 50 every year FWIW. XXXIII from time to time as well.

You get to bask in it as long as you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Powderaddict View Post

I still watch XXXII and 50 every year FWIW. XXXIII from time to time as well.

You get to bask in it as long as you like.
                  Well said. Got any links to those?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Coyote View Post

You guys did for 50 years and it wasn't even a real SB.
                    ​​​So roll around in it for a while. No one really cares that long unless they never won before though....

Congratulations Zero.
                    Yawn. It took the Cheatos almost FOUR DECADES to win their first league championship, and they had to cheat to do it then.

Comment

Well it hasn’t been 50 years, is all I’m saying.
                      There are teams that has basked in the glory of a SB win from 50 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Tges58 View Post

Yawn. It took the Cheatos almost FOUR DECADES to win their first league championship, and they had to cheat to do it then.
                        Don't you have a tire to put on your roof or something? Why are you lot even here?
                        Zero I get.... He ignores most of the troll bait and actually talks about football... But the rest of you nerds are like still here because you don't know what to do.
                        Never been Champions in your lifetimes before so you just repeat old patterns and keep coming to big bro for validation.

So many of you do such that I actually can troll the trolls daily around here.

Also... Broncos didn't cheat, Broncos just paid players off schedule, no one got paid more. Instead they got paid late. You really should know which team you are trolling and come with thoughts that are at least thoughts on two levels (we know... It's kinda hard to think in multiple levels when Trailer homes all are one story affairs.)

But congrats to you too troll. Now... off with you young man, go do something good for your janky ass city... I'm sure there are meth heads to feed and teach about flossing their tooth or parts of your disgusting city that need cleaning. Clean it up. You guys should be the Blues and something else too. Make things to do beyond a tour of the crayon factory, Bars, and "Oh look another stupid fountain!"...

Comment

Depends on who you are talking to. For direct rivals like Denver or Oakland, you bask until they start threatening again. For the rest of the league you basically get until a new champion is crowned.

Amongst your own fan base....you bask eternally.

Comment

No chance that's happening. Unless he wants to renegotiate to peanuts for 2020 salary.

I'd bet Brandon Allen will be Re-signed to back up. we started him 3 games, they are fine with him.

Comment

Allen was better than Flacco IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X