XFL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFL Thread

So, we don't have to go too long without football. Should be interesting to see what product they trot out there, and if it can stay financially stable. Here's the schedule:
    Attached Files

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	704
Size:	993.7 KB
ID:	2565966
    somebody must have money to burn. I'll be stunned if this thing lasts more than one season

Comment

I'll record a couple of games to check it out.

Comment

XFL sucked the first time around, wonder what makes Vince McMahon think it’s going to do better this time around.

Comment

I know they’re trying to capitalize on people’s love of football but people don’t like poor quality football.

Comment

Originally posted by peacepipe View Post
            I know they’re trying to capitalize on people’s love of football but people don’t like poor quality football.

Comment

Anyone interested in the XFL rules changes including double forward pass, extra points, and their modified kickoff can check out the video descriptions on their page:

https://www.xfl.com/en-US/rules

Comment

Originally posted by cmhargrove View Post
                Anyone interested in the XFL rules changes including double forward pass, extra points, and their modified kickoff can check out the video descriptions on their page:

https://www.xfl.com/en-US/rules
                Like to neutral about all of them except the OT format.

Comment

So is it an actual double forward pass rule, or will all forward passing be allowed until the LOS is broken?

Comment

If there was around 20 teams then I might watch. Just like nfl Europe I can’t get invested in something so small.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                      So is it an actual double forward pass rule, or will all forward passing be allowed until the LOS is broken?
                      Only two forward passes and both must be from behind the line of scrimmage. So imagine a faster fleaflicker and the option to roll with a Lamar Jackson type and a pocket passer too. Or even Two 3/8ths backs (made that position up as between Halfback & QB) and no QB.

Could be fun. Could completely fail. Could revolutionize offenses and see carry over of schemes into the NFL. Most likely it will be not that much different but allow some unique trick plays and not amount to that much though...

Comment

Originally posted by broncolife View Post
                        If there was around 20 teams then I might watch. Just like nfl Europe I can’t get invested in something so small.
                        AFL was small too. But this is no AFL. I do like the Idea of having a minor league to allow guys that got overlooked a chance. Bausby was a good find out of the defunct AAF. I think guys like Lindsay get overlooked sometimes and there isn't always a team picking a few up. Some of those college guys that didn't make a team might turn out to be good. And the football gods know that we need desperately a FA uplift in talent quality and quantity available on O-line.

So..Regardless how long it lasts, the XFL should be fun to watch as almost a FA market with built in auditions if nothing else...
                        Last edited by Old Coyote; 02-03-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

If there is no He Hate Me...it's not the XFL.

Comment

Excited for the prospects of something else. AAF got the Broncos two very solid players. More football = better NFL. Even if the Refs will do their best to screw it up.

Comment

It might be at least slightly interesting if NFL teams had been able to assign prospects to this.....like practice squad guys etc...but I can understand why you wouldn't do that.....also....there should ZERO comparison to this and the old AFL of the 60's. Totally different landscape now...

Back then the NFL was expanding too slowly and the dudes that founded the AFL understood the market was underserved. Also, the TV market wasn't that mature yet and entire cities couldn't be relied upon to watch NFL games on sundays if they didn't have a team....that isn't the case today. San Antonio TV ratings are just as good as any NFL market ratings for example....same with places like Portland Oregon etc...that wasn't the case then.....you put a team in a market, and a big part of the appeal was to get new TV viewers. The AFL simply filled a void that the NFL was taking too long to get to and won....eventually forcing a merger.....wich is what most of the AFL owners wnated in teh first place....was simply to be NFL franchisees.

The XFL's only real chance is to be quality football with NAMEs people know and are compelled to see play. That would need to be hiesman winners that aren't in the NFL...other Q rated college guys that aren't pro's. Maybe a vet here and there who you know...and also some audience if the guy on the local XFL team went to a nearby college or high school.

I think the biggest problem that any "minor" leauge football teams face is the lack of quality QB play. It's not hard to know when you are watching a crappy QB, and no one wants to see that.

Since I don't think the leauge can put at least 4 "good" QB out there, I don't think it will make it....you put 4 or 5 guys who can sling it...MAYBE....just MAYBE people will watch. The CFL manages to make their leauge work in this mannor.....they have enough competent passers to make it compelling.

Comment

Working...
                              X