General Baseball - 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by v2micca View Post

It's kind of weird. For years, fans of small market teams had to watch and seethe as their best players approached free agency without signing an extension and would inevitably depart for the large market franchises. But now, even massive market teams, that should be in the middle of a competitive window, are using the luxury tax as an excuse to cry poor and trade away their best players for salary flexibility. Given the obscene profits that owners continue to rake in even when their team is mired in the middle of a 100 loss season, I wonder how much longer the fan bases will tolerate this kind of behavior.
    No teams lose money anymore. Too many TV deals, media deals and stadium sponsorships. Owners are just greedy as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

Ok, seriously, there needs to be a minimum salary floor that teams have to spend. This is ****ing ridiculous.
      This is one of the obvious negotiating points that both the owners and MLBPA need to agree on when they formulate the next CBA.

Comment

Originally posted by balero View Post

This is one of the obvious negotiating points that both the owners and MLBPA need to agree on when they formulate the next CBA.
        Owners keep trying to cut costs when for what was it, 3 years straight they barely spent on FA's. We've seen 2-3 new media deals that poured cash into the owners pockets, we even saw low attendance numbers for clubs that straight up tanked the season.
        If owners keep trying to penny pinch, the owners are going to start seeing a decline in revenue because fans will stop watching.

Comment

Astros Expected To Hire Dusty Baker https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...sty-baker.html

Comment

Astros Expected To Hire Dusty Baker https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...sty-baker.html
            Still ridiculous that Baker only gets a job because of scandals. Damn good manager.

Comment

Still ridiculous that Baker only gets a job because of scandals. Damn good manager.
              Players have always responded to Dusty. People skills are his best trait.

Comment

Comment

Players have always responded to Dusty. People skills are his best trait.
                  I swear, people just take the Kerry Wood and Mark Prior injuries too far. They would have gotten hurt no matter what their workload was.
                  Arms are protected now more than ever and we still see major injuries creep up every season and guys out for 12-18 months with TJS and etc.

Comment

I swear, people just take the Kerry Wood and Mark Prior injuries too far. They would have gotten hurt no matter what their workload was.
                    Arms are protected now more than ever and we still see major injuries creep up every season and guys out for 12-18 months with TJS and etc.
                    Kerry Wood was abused severely long before Baker got a hold of him.

Kerry Wood of Grand Prairie threw 175 pitches in a 1995 regional final doubleheader, starting both games. Cubs officials, who had selected Wood with the fourth overall pick in the draft two days earlier, publicly criticized Grand Prairie’s coach. Wood’s career was interrupted when he missed the 1999 season after rupturing the ulnar collateral ligament in his right arm. After Tommy John Surgery, he returned to pitching and retired in 2012.

Comment

Kerry Wood was abused severely long before Baker got a hold of him.

Kerry Wood of Grand Prairie threw 175 pitches in a 1995 regional final doubleheader, starting both games. Cubs officials, who had selected Wood with the fourth overall pick in the draft two days earlier, publicly criticized Grand Prairie’s coach. Wood’s career was interrupted when he missed the 1999 season after rupturing the ulnar collateral ligament in his right arm. After Tommy John Surgery, he returned to pitching and retired in 2012.
                      I know. Kerry Wood's arm was going to give out at some point, Prior's as well. Prior's mechanics were beautiful but if I remember correctly, some stated that they also may have been the cause of his later injury issues.

Comment

I know. Kerry Wood's arm was going to give out at some point, Prior's as well. Prior's mechanics were beautiful but if I remember correctly, some stated that they also may have been the cause of his later injury issues.
                        I also think Prior had weak connective issue. Just the way he was born, it’s hard to counter that.

Comment

I also think Prior had weak connective issue. Just the way he was born, it’s hard to counter that.
                          Would have been wonderful to see him reach his full prime and plateau for many prime years instead of his career being cut short. I think he definitely would have been Kershaw or Verlander level in longevity.

Comment

Comment

Boston needs to offer 32.5 for 12 (with options) and that should get it done. He is looking for 35 a year they are offering 30 a year.

Comment

Prior's mechanics were a mess. Timing issues, vertical scapular loading, over-pronation in the arm-cocking motion, horizontal plane angle of the throwing arm during the foot plant to accelerate external rotation of the fore-arm. Basically, every trick you can try to use to gain a few extra ticks of velocity (which is why his personal coach hailed them as perfect mechanics) but the exact sort of thing that blows out your shoulder and elbow earlier in your career.

Comment

Working...
                                X