General Baseball - 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
    One has to wonder, had A-Rod not lost his mind and went PED crazy, would he have been ushered into the HOF in a similar fashion?

Comment

Originally posted by balero View Post
      These people need to chill. Yes Jeter is a HOF'r. But him not being unanimous isn't some disrespect. If a guy like Ken Griffey Jr wasn't unanimous then no way should Jeter be. What is he, the greatest player that ever lived?? Hardly. Imagine if Griffey was a Yankee and Jeter was a Mariner. Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by GoneFishin' View Post

These people need to chill. Yes Jeter is a HOF'r. But him not being unanimous isn't some disrespect. If a guy like Ken Griffey Jr wasn't unanimous then no way should Jeter be. What is he, the greatest player that ever lived?? Hardly. Imagine if Griffey was a Yankee and Jeter was a Mariner. Lol!
        It's not disrespectful considering Jeter has the second-highest percentage, and most ever for a position player.

But I think the issue is the electorate has evolved to the point where Mariano Rivera finally broke through as the first unanimous selection in 2019. I'd like to see the electorate not go backwards again and do things out of spite to prove a point.

Why stop at Griffey? Why wasn't Rickey Henderson, Cal Ripken Jr., Nolan Ryan, George Brett, Mike Schmidt, Tom Seaver, Johnny Bench, Willie Mays, Henry Aaron, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Stan Musial or Warren Spahn unanimous? There's no legit reason for anybody to not have voted for these guys their first time around.

While Jeter was hardly close to the greatest player that ever lived, probably not even the top five at his SS position, he was a slam dunk, no doubter.

The advanced metrics had him way over the bar. Sixth all-time with 3,465 hits, 11th all-time in runs with 1,923. On top of everything he accomplished in the regular season, he played an entire regular season at All-Star level in the postseason, hitting .308 with a .374 OBP and 200 hits in 158 games.

Comment

Comment

It's not disrespectful considering Jeter has the second-highest percentage, and most ever for a position player.

But I think the issue is the electorate has evolved to the point where Mariano Rivera finally broke through as the first unanimous selection in 2019. I'd like to see the electorate not go backwards again and do things out of spite to prove a point.

Why stop at Griffey? Why wasn't Rickey Henderson, Cal Ripken Jr., Nolan Ryan, George Brett, Mike Schmidt, Tom Seaver, Johnny Bench, Willie Mays, Henry Aaron, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Stan Musial or Warren Spahn unanimous? There's no legit reason for anybody to not have voted for these guys their first time around.

While Jeter was hardly close to the greatest player that ever lived, probably not even the top five at his SS position, he was a slam dunk, no doubter.

The advanced metrics had him way over the bar. Sixth all-time with 3,465 hits, 11th all-time in runs with 1,923. On top of everything he accomplished in the regular season, he played an entire regular season at All-Star level in the postseason, hitting .308 with a .374 OBP and 200 hits in 158 games.
            Just because it was easy. I could have named a lot of players better than Jeter.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C199A7CA-364D-46EF-A994-48ED72D8252C.png
Views:	40
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2561244

Comment

Name:	C199A7CA-364D-46EF-A994-48ED72D8252C.png
Views:	40
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2561244
                    Ok, but if you're not gonna re-sign him, that's a crazy amount to surrender.

Comment

Comment

Why is every baseball team now obsessed with teams taking on part of the salary to facilitate trades? It just seemingly randomly popped up a few years back. I get the tax and all but jeez.

Comment

HOF is a joke. There’s always going to be someone offended from the writers association that has a vendetta on a player that has nothing to do with actual baseball skills. like not voting for Schilling because of his “character”(multiple voters like Shaughnessy say this is the the reason they vote no) meanwhile the character of several players already in are far worse.

it’s a popularity contest and that’s about it.

Cheating has been a part of baseball since it’s been invented. Stealing signs are only a blip of what goes on. Just be better than the other team at cheating. Trying to keep it “clean” by not allowing certain Players who are definite HOFers in is hilarious. There’s so many cheaters already in over decades and decades of baseball. Bonds isn’t in because of roids. He’s not in because he was a dick to these writers. Why you think ARod plasters himself as a good guy on TV currently? His percentage will be much higher than Bonds.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
                            HOF is a joke. There’s always going to be someone offended from the writers association that has a vendetta on a player that has nothing to do with actual baseball skills. like not voting for Schilling because of his “character”(multiple voters like Shaughnessy say this is the the reason they vote no) meanwhile the character of several players already in are far worse.

it’s a popularity contest and that’s about it.

Cheating has been a part of baseball since it’s been invented. Stealing signs are only a blip of what goes on. Just be better than the other team at cheating. Trying to keep it “clean” by not allowing certain Players who are definite HOFers in is hilarious. There’s so many cheaters already in over decades and decades of baseball. Bonds isn’t in because of roids. He’s not in because he was a dick to these writers. Why you think ARod plasters himself as a good guy on TV currently? His percentage will be much higher than Bonds.
                            I agree. Baseball is the game of cheating, but there are extremes. The Astros sign stealing was way above and beyond the norm of friendly cheating.

Comment

Name:	5678BB23-AAB3-45B6-AC61-0987005EE47A.png
Views:	28
Size:	1,012.3 KB
ID:	2561567

Comment

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

I agree. Baseball is the game of cheating, but there are extremes. The Astros sign stealing was way above and beyond the norm of friendly cheating.
                                Ya but that’s just what you heard cause it was caught. A friend of mine who played minor/major for a career told me that was common among multiple teams he was on.

Comment

Working...
                                X