Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Sean Payton get the pass that Mike McCarthy did not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
    Tomlin has been unappreciated for a long time. That franchise has had constant drama with Big Ben, Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell, Martavis Bryant and etc.
    This year proved he's a damn good coach.
    I hate the Steelers and don't want to give Tomlin credit as a good head coach... but he definitely proved it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

I’m taking Carroll at the top of that list. Reid is def top tier HC in this league.
      I'm very torn on saying that about Reid. He's definitely one of the top offensive coaches in the league. Something is up when you have a career .618 win% in the regular season but .462 in the playoffs (.286 in KC). Tomlin was mentioned before, and his %'s are .642 and .533 in the Playoffs.

Carroll is .579 in the playoffs and that includes his time in NE.

For those interested...M. Shanahan is .571 in the playoffs, .615 in Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by 2KBack View Post

I'm very torn on saying that about Reid. He's definitely one of the top offensive coaches in the league. Something is up when you have a career .618 win% in the regular season but .462 in the playoffs (.286 in KC). Tomlin was mentioned before, and his %'s are .642 and .533 in the Playoffs.

Guess it depends on how many are in that tier. Bottom part of that tier is a spot I’d put him at.

crazy that Shanahan never coached since his last year. Especially since his staff in Washington ended up a monster in churning out current HCs.

Comment

A great HC is first and foremost a leader of men.
          He must also have the humility to know his own weaknesses and delegate those things he does not do well or cannot devote the time.
          In addition to being responsable for the performance and BEHAVIOR of each and every staff member and player, the HC must also be the face and spokesperson for the teams fans and media interests.
          eating and sleeping are afterthoughts.

"let's get a snack ! "

Comment

REID is a pass junkie. He personifies the HC that throws away his chance at winning because he abandons the run at the drop of a hat.

BIENEMY is calling plays, but he is andys puppet.
            Will they let mahomes run with intent, or just to escape ?
            the TEXANS surprised me last week with their bonafide run commitment,
            running 25 times in the second half when they were 16 points behind they stayed with carlos hyde all the while booger was saying it was time for the run game to take a seat.
            Raise your hands all you booger believers !
            the texans only ran the ball 8 times in the first half and they fell behind 13-0.
            their pass game in the first half yielded 4 sacks and 2 turnovers.
            Granted in the second half, WATSON played like superman;
            Mewanwhile, ALLEN went into panic mode with the ball in his hands and more than a minute on the clock.
            WHY the hell they would have him PASSING more than RUNNING in the second half needs explanation because those failed pass attempts and sacks cost the team in regulation and OT !

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

Guess it depends on how many are in that tier. Bottom part of that tier is a spot I’d put him at.

crazy that Shanahan never coached since his last year. Especially since his staff in Washington ended up a monster in churning out current HCs.
              While we all know that Washington is a disaster, he still went 24-40 in his 4 years there. I think that, combined with his age, becomes a factor. Another problem is he supposedly had total control in Washington (debatable), and part of the problem in Denver was that he was GM, President, OC and HC all at once. Shanahan is likely still to this day the best game planner and gameday coach, but maybe the perception is that he won't accept a position as HC only.

There were all those rumors regarding Ellis vetoing Elway's interest in hiring Shanahan, don't know how credible those were.

He still can't build a defensive staff to save his life though.

Comment

While we all know that Washington is a disaster, he still went 24-40 in his 4 years there. I think that, combined with his age, becomes a factor. Another problem is he supposedly had total control in Washington (debatable), and part of the problem in Denver was that he was GM, President, OC and HC all at once. Shanahan is likely still to this day the best game planner and gameday coach, but maybe the perception is that he won't accept a position as HC only.

There were all those rumors regarding Ellis vetoing Elway's interest in hiring Shanahan, don't know how credible those were.

He still can't build a defensive staff to save his life though.
                Gotta be unique situation where it’s a GM/HC control. Those aren’t as common as just HC jobs. It’s why McDaniels took this long and only the Browns situation can fit him.

belichick said Shanny was the hardest to coach against. Age is a factor, but If it was a Kubiak Minn type role a team would greatly benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by jmz313 View Post

I hate the Steelers and don't want to give Tomlin credit as a good head coach... but he definitely proved it this year.
                  Tomlin has always been a good coach, people don't understand how well he leads his team. They got a glimpse of it this year since AB blew up on the Raiders and Pats once Tomlin didn't have the ability to reign him in.
                  Dealing with Big Ben, Le'Veon and AB every year is a lot and he managed it well. People keep clamoring for Cowher while forgetting that the fans wanted Cowher gone for the same reasons as Tomlin before he won the SB. Then he was the darling of every fan who hoped he'd return to save their franchise.

In 13 seasons leading the Steelers, he has never had a losing season, Cowher had 3 in 15.

Tomlin's issue is the same that Manning and Indy had, the Patriots. The Colts had lesser rosters than the Patriots overall in most years. The Steelers have been about even but their defense has been lacking for a few years.
                  They've bowed out of the playoffs sooner than expected a couple of times but he's still won 53.3% of his playoff games.

Comment

Working...
                  X