No announcement yet.

McGovern poised for a big payday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are the numbers. 12 bad run blocks, 8 bad pass blocks, 2 1/2 sacks, 3 knockdowns, 0 snap errors, 0 games missed, 0 penalties. He's not a pro bowl player, but he's solid. We could do worse, much worse. Broncos will try to retain him, and I think they will. I don't think he's going to get any monster deal anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post
      Trivia
      How many penalties were called on C Connor McGovern this last season?

Comment

All we see are people crying about the OL every year. Bad product on the field. Then when it comes time to put money into it everyone says we could move on. Moving on gets you an overpaid idiot FA from another team who does zip all while your decent versatile player gets less to play for another team and does lights out better.

draft your OL. KEEP your OL when they produce. McGovern could play well enough for years. You need to replace multiple OL positions. At least try to keep a consistent one.

Comment

I'd trade up from #46 to draft Creed, a natural leader, and impact Center. I'd never re-sign known non- impact Starters. If that doesn't work out, move Risner to C.

Comment

"Well enough" doesn't win Superbowls. McGovern had numerous blown calls this year. I didn't watch close enough to give a proper eval.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
              All we see are people crying about the OL every year. Bad product on the field. Then when it comes time to put money into it everyone says we could move on. Moving on gets you an overpaid idiot FA from another team who does zip all while your decent versatile player gets less to play for another team and does lights out better.

draft your OL. KEEP your OL when they produce. McGovern could play well enough for years. You need to replace multiple OL positions. At least try to keep a consistent one.
              Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                I'd trade up from #46 to draft Creed, a natural leader, and impact Center. I'd never re-sign known non- impact Starters. If that doesn't work out, move Risner to C.
                No, you leave Risner the **** where he is and draft a ****ing C.

Comment

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

No, you leave Risner the **** where he is and draft a ****ing C.
                  LG is the easiest spot to replace on the entire Offense. You could find a good LG in the 2nd every year. Risner was a Freshmen All-American at Center, and an All-American at RT. Put him at a higher value position than LG. Tackle or Center, imo.

Comment

LG is the easiest spot to replace on the entire Offense. You could find a good LG in the 2nd every year. Risner was a Freshmen All-American at Center, and an All-American at RT. Put him at a higher value position than LG. Tackle or Center, imo.
                    No, you leave the future all pro LG at LG and you draft a C.

Comment

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

No, you leave the future all pro LG at LG and you draft a C.
                      I have a better idea. You leave Risner where he is, leave McGovern where he is, and use your resources to get a LT worth a damn. Risner and McGovern were 2 positions you didn't really have to worry about all year long. Leary is breaking down and doesn't resemble the player he once used to be. Bolles, nothing more need be said, and we don't know wtf is going on with James. Why not look at fixing those 3 totally broken positions before we start nit picking on a position that truly isn't a problem.

Comment

We gave up a lot of A gap pressure, its really hard to know if those are on Mcgovern or on the guards.

In general he is a a very solid pass protector and doesn't get driven back which helps to keep the pocket open. He is too slow in the run game and cant get out any make blocks on the run.

I would like to resign him for something in the $7 mil a year range but hard to guess what he'll get on the open market

Comment

If we let him go. I only want 2 new pieces on the online. So I would move Risner to C, Draft a G in the 2nd and either sign a top FA G, or draft another G in the 3rd.

I really don't like the thought of a totally in experienced line though, so the FA option better than seating 2 G's to start.

Keep Bolles at LT. He is maddening, but good enough. He is average.

​​

Comment

A line of

RT: JAMES (GREAT)
                            RG: FA (GREAT) brandon scherff??
                            C: RISNER (ABOVE AVERAGE)
                            LG: ROOKIE (BELOW AVERAGE)
                            LT: BOLLES (AVERAGE)

Would be very good IMO... especially the right side!!!
                            Last edited by Slade; 01-07-2020, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slade View Post
                              A lot of

RT: JAMES (GREAT)
                              RG: FA (GREAT) brandon scherff??
                              C: RISNER (ABOVE AVERAGE)
                              LG: ROOKIE (BELOW AVERAGE)
                              LT: BOLLES (AVERAGE)

Would be very good IMO... especially the right side!!!
                              Would look significantly better keeping Risner at LG, retaining McGovern 2 years/17m, and drafting someone like Wirfs to compete with and eventually take over for James/Bolles or Biadadz to compete McGovern.

Comment

"Well enough" doesn't win Superbowls. McGovern had numerous blown calls this year. I didn't watch close enough to give a proper eval.
                                0 penalties.
                                Zero.

Comment

Working...
                                X