McGovern poised for a big payday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGovern poised for a big payday.

Like many others in this board, I was pleased with, but not impressed by McGoverns play at center this year. Wether this is an indictment of my evaluation skills or O-line play in the NFL in general, McGovern is consistently rated as one of the top if not the top Center in free agency. Given the need and apparent dearth of available talent at the position he will likely land a massive contract this off season.

Rather replace him than replace either Harris or Simmons.

Comment

Don't think that matters much. He may be the best center in FA but there are not many centers out there. He might get paid but He won't be resetting any markets. Probably just be mid tier center- Be a big pay bump and life changing money but not cap shaking.

Comment

Yeah I would like him to come back for consistency and he’s solid not great. However, I wouldn’t pay him top dollar. I think a slightly above mid level contract is fair.

Comment

He’s a talented player that can play other positions on the OL, I hope we’re able to retain him. He’s still not a true center, but a good one.

Comment

He is going to get paid. Billy Turner got 7m per from the Packers and Roger Saffold got 11m per from the Titans. McGovern is young, versatile and has been injury free in his career. I would love Elway to resign him but i think he is gone and i wouldnt be surprised to see him get 9m or 10m per year in free agency.

Comment

Originally posted by jmz313 View Post
              Rather replace him than replace either Harris or Simmons.
              Simmons isn't going anywhere. The Broncos will tag him so they can work out a long term deal, similar to how they handled Miller. Not sure which Harris you mean, so I'll address both. Chris Harris Jr is done with Denver. Not entirely certain what happened behind the scenes, but he has soured on the organization and wants out. We would have to massively overpay him to lure him back. Shelby Harris is also in line for a massive payday and I suspect it will be for more than he is worth. I would prefer the team overpaying him not be Denver.

If McGovern gets a deal that is more or less in line with what the last 3 centers hitting free agency received, I can live with that. If he wants to set the new bench mark, I'd prefer the front office let him walk and pick up his replacement in the draft.
              Last edited by v2micca; 01-06-2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Trivia
                How many penalties were called on C Connor McGovern this last season?

Comment

MUNCHAK

Comment

Originally posted by v2micca View Post

Simmons isn't going anywhere. The Broncos will tag him so they can work out a long term deal, similar to how they handled Miller. Not sure which Harris you mean, so I'll address both. Chris Harris Jr is done with Denver. Not entirely certain what happened behind the scenes, but he has soured on the organization and wants out. We would have to massively overpay him to lure him back. Shelby Harris is also in line for a massive payday and I suspect it will be for more than he is worth. I would prefer the team overpaying him not be Denver.

If McGovern gets a deal that is more or less in line with what the last 3 centers hitting free agency received, I can live with that. If he wants to set the new bench mark, I'd prefer the front office let him walk and pick up his replacement in the draft.
                    Shelby Harris has earned his money. We need to keep him

Comment

Originally posted by strafen View Post

Shelby Harris has earned his money. We need to keep him
                      I would like the Broncos to keep him. I am less enthusiastic about the Broncos getting into a bidding war to sign him.

Comment

Originally posted by v2micca View Post

I said "either Harris" meaning Both. I think CHJ would like to stay here and there is no souring of the relationship today. it was going that way in season but, winning cures a lot. Shelby Harris we need to keep, even if that means overpaying a little. Really, a players current team doesn't get a chance to overpay because they let the market get set then agree to something in line or let him take the overpaying offer. Losing that kind of inside play will hamper the D for 2020. I'm not sure who we would replace him with.

McGovern is more replaceable but i would like to keep him as the Oline needs enough work. I will say, i don;t think i spent much time ever watching centers though.

Comment

Keep him if it's a reasonable price, but he's not anything special. If he gets 9-10 million, good riddance. Take the comp pick and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by strafen View Post
                            He’s a talented player that can play other positions on the OL, I hope we’re able to retain him. He’s still not a true center, but a good one.
                            He played better as a center than he ever did as a guard.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post

He played better as a center than he ever did as a guard.
                              I remember the same thing happened with Manny Ramirez.

Comment

Working...
                              X