Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Because I'm a Masochist. Evaluating the Broncos 2016 NFL Draft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because I'm a Masochist. Evaluating the Broncos 2016 NFL Draft.

Yeah, this is what you do when you have no plans for New Years Eve. You go back and look at Drafts past and see how much it still hurts you. I've always believed that you really need to wait about 4 seasons to fully evaluate a draft class. By then you know which players managed to finish their rookie contracts, which players will be extended or targeted for extension and which players will be looking for work in other organizations. I started this retrospective with a leaden sense of dread. However, I found that by the end, the Broncos 2016 Draft wasn't quite the trash fire I had believed it to be. Let's dive in and you will see, it gets better as we get deeper.

First Round pick 26 overall: Paxton Lynch
    So, this one still hurts. Honestly, a whiff this bad on your first round pick pretty much caps the overall draft grade at a B, even if you nail the rest of your picks. And the Broncos did not nail the rest of their picks. The fact that we surrendered a third round pick the the Seahawks to trade up for him is additional salt in the wound. (Seattle would use the picks to select OT Germain Ifedi and TE Nick Vannett) So, the only silver lining is the fact that as badly as we messed up, the pain isn't compounded by missing out on solid talent at the end of the first round. Most of the players drafted in that range have led pretty meh careers. Still, any production is superior to what we received from Lynch.

Second Round pick 63 overall: Adam Gotsis
    Not as painful as Paxton, but another whiff in the early rounds. We all remember the story of Dline coach Bill Kollar pounding on the coaches door insisting they needed to take this guy. Well, I think his draft input might have been somewhat curtailed since that day. Gotsis was considered a bit of a reach at the time due to his rawness as a prospect and some injuries. For a time, it looked like Gotsis might make Kollar look good when he earned a starting roll in the 2017 season. But then, he just hit a wall. Barring some light switching on, he's pretty much a depth and rotation guy at this point. I suspect the Broncos will let him walk and look for his replacement in the draft.

Third Round pick 98 overall: Justin Simmons
    The man that almost single-handedly redeems the 2016 draft for the Broncos. With little fanfare, Simmons provided solid safety play and improved each year until finally establishing himself as one of the best Safeties in the league in his 4th year. Simmons will be signed to a long term deal, even if the Broncos have to apply the franchise tag to get it done.

Fourth Round pick 136 overall: Devontae Booker
    Oof.....well this is a fourth round supplemental pick, so missing on these doesn't sting quite as much as blowing your earlier picks. But, safe to say that Booker never threatened to become the running back that Kubiak envisioned. He will be looking for employment somewhere else in 2020.

Fifth Round pick 144 overall: Conner McGovern
    This was your classic late round developmental O-line pick. Conner didn't consistently crack the starting 5 until his third year in the league. Injuries to Matt Paradis then forced him to the center position and it was not pretty. Still, given an off-season and training camp to adjust, he has shown some great strides, even if he remains an average Center at best. The Broncos may buy into his upside and retain him for continuity into 2019. I would give this one a middling grade.

Sixth Round pick 176 overall: Andy Janovich
    A fan favorite that has already signed a three year extension with the Broncos. Janovich has never been a particularly flashy pick, but we have all seen what tends to happen to the run game when he isn't in there to help with the blocking. Additionally, he has soft hands and I look forward to seeing what Scangs can do with him in the passing game with Lock at the helm. Solid pick.

Sixth Round pick 219 overall: Will Parks
    If we had better depth, I doubt he would still be on the team. 6th round safeties have a low hit rate. So, I can't get too worked up over this miss.

Sixth Round pick 228 overall: Riley Dixon
    So, even though this turned out to be a very good pick, I can't give us any credit for it because the front office traded him for a conditional pick after we signed Marquette King. Ugh.....Dixon should still be a Bronco, and I'm angry at the front office that we have to deal with Wadman as our punter instead.

I'll spare you the list of undrafted free agents as they were pretty much all misses as well.

So, from 8 selections we have two guys that will definitely be on the Broncos roster in 2020 in Simmons and Janovich. One player that will likely be on the roster in Conner McGovern, and one player that should have been on our roster had the front office not gone mildly retarded in Riley Dixon. Its not pretty, but it actually wasn't nearly as bad as I though it would be. Next year we get to take a closer look at the 2017 Draft and how it figures into this team for the next decade.
    Last edited by v2micca; 12-31-2019, 07:51 PM.

I could have lived with Lynch being a gung ho football player that just couldn’t translate to the NFL... but he was obviously low football IQ and Emo level mental toughness... it was a whiff for the ages

Comment

More like three of them will be back...and maybe four.

Comment

2015 and 2017 are bigger issues in my mind than the 2016 draft.

Comment

The first two rounds are the issue. After that it’s a pretty good draft. Like Scribe said, 2015 and 2017 were worse.

Comment

No way you can call Parks a miss as the 219th pick. And for a 5th rounder, McGovern is certainly a hit.

2013, 2015 and 2017 were all horrific drafts.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec Bronco View Post
              No way you can call Parks a miss as the 219th pick. And for a 5th rounder, McGovern is certainly a hit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	177edd8a82db4110d000b6c4d0081a63.gif
Views:	251
Size:	4.36 MB
ID:	2545577

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec Bronco View Post

When Garrett Bolles is the best player from those three drafts you know something has gone terribly, terribly wrong. May Elway never draft like that again...

Comment

Elway never gave Paxton Lynch a fair chance.

Comment

Will Parks is an absolute hit. Played in every game but two his rookie year and has nearly 2,800 combined defensive and special teams snaps. He has been a solid player.

Comment

Originally posted by DomCasual View Post
                      Probably because he had absolute **** work ethic and played video games vs studying film. You can lose your right to a chance by being a worthless **** outside of gameday.

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                        Will Parks is an absolute hit. Played in every game but two his rookie year and has nearly 2,800 combined defensive and special teams snaps. He has been a solid player.
                        Yeah. A late 6th round safety, you're basically hoping for a decent STs contributor. Will would start on some teams.

Comment

you need to start your own Broncos forum. Make it happen

Comment

You're trolling us right? I believe you may have been known to do that....

Just on the wild offchance you might be serious, may I point out that after three years in the league Paxton can't beat out Devlin Hodges for the 3rd string QB slot at Pittsburgh. With big ben and mason Rudoplh down, he would have seen the field this year if he was any good......

Comment

Dom getting some nibbles lol

Comment

Working...
                              X