Grade Hallmark Vic’s first season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B+

Improved the record, got better as the season went on, and most importantly the team never quit.

We've got a pretty good coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco militia View Post

I just put it out there. I HAD NO idea someone would get their panties in wad over it. Is it necessary to validate all my takes? It's poll for ****'s sakes
      That’s agamenomenmonmnomnmon for you.
      This is his court and he renders the final verdict on whose opinion lines up with his in order for one to be right or be deemed wrong!

Comment

B.

Comment

Originally posted by strafen View Post

That’s agamenomenmonmnomnmon for you.
          This is his court and he renders the final verdict on whose opinion lines up with his in order for one to be right or be deemed wrong!
          We're here to discuss things. Well most of us are. Apparently you're here to cry about someone disagreeing with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post

We're here to discuss things. Well most of us are. Apparently you're here to cry about someone disagreeing with you.
            Nice spin...

Comment

D+

He was awful at managing the game. Even as the season progressed, he still sucked.

​​​​​​There are some positives, so that's why he's not a total fail. Some surprising player development, something we haven't seen in awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratboy View Post
                D+

He was awful at managing the game. Even as the season progressed, he still sucked.

​​​​​​There are some positives, so that's why he's not a total fail. Some surprising player development, something we haven't seen in awhile.
                D+ lmao.

You obviously don’t watch any other football

Comment

Positives:

Did relatively well with a roster lacking talent and depth, 7-9 and some very close losses that could have been wins was about as good as that season was going to go.
                  Shored up the defence, even with Chubb, Bausby, Callahan out for most of the year.
                  Grew as a head coach, got better with time management and time out decisions as the season wore on.
                  End of the season brought some hope with young players really contributing.

Negatives:

Team was clearly underprepared early in the season, which was very obvious in game 1.
                  Poor time management in several instances, poor play management as well.
                  Should have been a little more assertive with the offence when it sputtered.

Overall I give a B-, I think did better than one could expect from a very experienced assistant coach who never head coached before, but a few of those last play losses should have been wins.

Comment

​​​​​B
                    Lock is of course the subtext of any grade, so despite some real snags and struggles, overall it's very positive. At least, unlike Vance's first off-season, nobody's talking about firing the guy. His defense improved steadily week-to-week, despite M*A*S*H like injury lists. Also nice to see Vic and John uniformly on the same page, at least in public.

Scangarello suddenly seems smart again since Lock took over. Love how Deasean Hamilton has become relevant, and intrigued by level of support for Bolles from so many players.

Worse development all year: Extending Flacco in a way that took a big bite of cap room.

Comment

Originally posted by gyldenlove View Post
                      Positives:

Did relatively well with a roster lacking talent and depth, 7-9 and some very close losses that could have been wins was about as good as that season was going to go.
                      Shored up the defence, even with Chubb, Bausby, Callahan out for most of the year.
                      Grew as a head coach, got better with time management and time out decisions as the season wore on.
                      End of the season brought some hope with young players really contributing.

Negatives:

Team was clearly underprepared early in the season, which was very obvious in game 1.
                      Poor time management in several instances, poor play management as well.
                      Should have been a little more assertive with the offence when it sputtered.

Overall I give a B-, I think did better than one could expect from a very experienced assistant coach who never head coached before, but a few of those last play losses should have been wins.
                      very good post.
                      I am not big on sighting stats or rankings, but I do think being the BEST team in the NFL in red zone defense is something to applaud, appreciate, and hang our hopes on for the upcoming season.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
                        Worse development all year: Extending Flacco in a way that took a big bite of cap room.
                        No, it didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
                          ​​​​​B

The extra cap created by Flacco in 2019 rolls to 2020. Net zero. Been discussed over and over. Wanted Simmons during the season at around $10M a year. Justin outplay that value.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post

None of that justifies an F, bumped up to a D because he’s a rookie head coach, unless you think he won a lot less games than other head coaches would of won in the same scenario (do you?). 7-9 would generally be considered a C- with an average roster, an average number of major injuries, and average schedule difficulty. An F, or rookie HC D, would need to be something like 4-12 or 3-13. And, let’s be clear, this team has a below average roster (may be closer to average now with Lock), had more than the average number of major injuries, and our opponents had an above .500 record. Given the circumstances, how is 7-9 an F, or a D for a rookie head coach?
                            I don't think this is a below average roster at all. A very young roster for sure, thin in some areas, but when healthy an overall good roster. Health, Flacco, inexperience, and a couple of game breaking roughing the passer calls. That's why this team was 7-9 instead of 10-6.

I mean if the only thing changed this year was those 2 penalties Denver is 9-7. People were calling 7-9 to 9-7 as the best case scenario going into the season.

I think the fact that this team was so close to being legit at times this season has clouded their judgement. We should be thrilled that the team showed real competitiveness this season. Which really was a rebuilding season.

Comment

Originally posted by 2KBack View Post

I don't think this is a below average roster at all.
                              Really?

QB - Well below average. Even with Lock it wasn't very good relative to the rest of the league. He just shows lots of promise.
                              WR - Below average post-Sanders.
                              TE - Below average. Fant has upside, but our TEs overall remain underwhelming.
                              RB - Average, at best.
                              OL - Below average, becoming well below average as injuries took their toll.

CB - Below average.
                              S - Well above average, potentially best in the league.
                              ILBs - Average once Alexander Johnson started playing.
                              OLBs - Below average once Chubb went down.
                              DL - Average tapering towards below average as injuries took their toll.

You can say youth plays a role in this, but that's about their potential, not what they are right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X