No announcement yet.

Grade Hallmark Vic’s first season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He probably deserves an F, but he gets a D for being a rookie HC and made the best of a thin roster. He needs to make some giant strides over the next 12 months or it's another HC search. I'm still waiting for that moment when I can say, "he should have been a Head coach years ago".

Comment

B-

Early on it was a C, then after collapse at Vikings it went to C-, once Lock came in, getting the wins moves him up to B-.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco militia View Post
        He probably deserves an F, but he gets a D for being a rookie HC and made the best of a thin roster. He needs to make some giant strides over the next 12 months or it's another HC search. I'm still waiting for that moment when I can say, "he should have been a Head coach years ago".
        I’m really not getting the thought process of you guys who are giving him bad grades. Do you think we have a good roster? Do you think we are so deep that all our key injuries shouldn’t have hurt us? Do you think our schedule was easy? Do you think having one of the worst QB situations in the league leads to winning records? Do you think Scangs and his “it takes three years to install” offense is easy to win with in year one? I just don’t get you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post

I’m really not getting the thought process of you guys who are giving him bad grades. Do you think we have a good roster? Do you think we are so deep that all our key injuries shouldn’t have hurt us? Do you think our schedule was easy? Do you think having one of the worst QB situations in the league leads to winning records? Do you think Scangs and his “it takes three years to install” offense is easy to win with in year one? I just don’t get you guys.
          And Fangio's defense is about as complex as the offense, that took some time to get rolling.

2019 was always about creating a foundation to build from. On both sides of the ball, and on the roster.

Hopefully the injury bug goes somewhere else next year, because this team now has a direction, a base, and what seems like a decent leader at the helm.

Comment

I'm comparing him to a HC that actually had head coaching experience. In the end, it's more of an indictment of the front office for making the hire. There's no doubt he's a great defensive coach.

so...

Why did it take an 0-4 start to make changes in the lineup? He had 5 pre-season games to evaluate the team.

why did the team play it's worst games of the season against the Chiefs?

why was the team playing "not to lose" every week?

what in the hell was he and elway smoking when they decided that Joe Flacco was a better option at QB?

Comment

I'll say C. Dude stumbled out of the gate, mismanaged the roster in TC and the first few games, made some goofy decisions gameday throughout the season, blew 4th Q leads with goofy gameday decisions and game management.

I have to factor in he had Joe Flacco as his QB, that's a f up from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco militia View Post

I'm comparing him to a HC that actually had head coaching experience. In the end, it's more of an indictment of the front office for making the hire. There's no doubt he's a great defensive coach.

so...

Why did it take an 0-4 start to make changes in the lineup? He had 5 pre-season games to evaluate the team.

why did the team play it's worst games of the season against the Chiefs?

why was the team playing "not to lose" every week?

what in the hell was he and elway smoking when they decided that Joe Flacco was a better option at QB?
                None of that justifies an F, bumped up to a D because he’s a rookie head coach, unless you think he won a lot less games than other head coaches would of won in the same scenario (do you?). 7-9 would generally be considered a C- with an average roster, an average number of major injuries, and average schedule difficulty. An F, or rookie HC D, would need to be something like 4-12 or 3-13. And, let’s be clear, this team has a below average roster (may be closer to average now with Lock), had more than the average number of major injuries, and our opponents had an above .500 record. Given the circumstances, how is 7-9 an F, or a D for a rookie head coach?

Comment

Originally posted by broncosteven View Post

Bull ****! You never replied to my comment about what happened in duh bears game with the 3 man rush. You were focused on the Jags game that I didn't even mention, that game they beat us by pounding Fournett.

BTW early in last Sundays game we had the raiders backed up inside the 10 on 3rd and 9 and they sent a 3 man rush and Carr dumps it off to a TE who runs for 70 yards, then later in the 2nd quarter same sort of situation and they dump it off to an RB for a 40+ yard gain. We got lucky they failed to get more than 3 points in the half.

After that they stuck to 4 man rushes and suddenly started forcing punts in the 2nd half after going a whole half without forcing one.
                  Yeah, I didn't see any "debunking" of the 3-man rush sucks proof. Overall, I guess 2019 turned out to be a practice season for Fangio, Scang, Munchak.

Comment

Originally posted by broncosteven View Post

Bull ****! You never replied to my comment about what happened in duh bears game with the 3 man rush. You were focused on the Jags game that I didn't even mention, that game they beat us by pounding Fournett.

BTW early in last Sundays game we had the raiders backed up inside the 10 on 3rd and 9 and they sent a 3 man rush and Carr dumps it off to a TE who runs for 70 yards, then later in the 2nd quarter same sort of situation and they dump it off to an RB for a 40+ yard gain. We got lucky they failed to get more than 3 points in the half.

After that they stuck to 4 man rushes and suddenly started forcing punts in the 2nd half after going a whole half without forcing one.
                    Tell me the plays and I'll address each of them. I have All-22. Recall that there were multiple 3rd and long plays you specifically pointed to in that Bears game that didn't actually happen, so you've already proven to be less than reliable.

You and others make **** up. I really don't get why when it's so easy to debunk.
                    Last edited by Aztec Bronco; 01-01-2020, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cito Pelon View Post

Yeah, I didn't see any "debunking" of the 3-man rush sucks proof. Overall, I guess 2019 turned out to be a practice season for Fangio, Scang, Munchak.
                      ...because you weren't posting in that thread. That would be the reason.

Comment

On the 3rd and 9 Von dropped into coverage and Carr threw to the opposite side for the 70 yard dump and run.

Comment

B. Gets the most out of players which is common among all good head coaches in the nfl
                          and Uncommon among bad coaches.

Comment

C+ for the season overall. He was definitely on a learning curve. He took way too long to make early adjustments, which resulted in a horrible start and probably cost the team a shot at the playoffs. However, he didn't lose the team, made adjustments and rebounded in the last third of the season, despite dealing with a host of injuries and other distractions, to give us some optimism for 2020.

When it was all said and done, 7-9 was about what was expected, but at least things feel like we're on an upswing.

Comment

I think you're grading on a curve because you blame Elway for a lot of stuff. And I'm not absolving Elway, but the HC still ultimately gets graded on the end product. And that includes some terrible in game adjustments and awful situational decision making.

Terrible handling of the QB situation. Relatedly, bad PR skills when it comes to player relationships. And as I see it so far, I think his defensive scheme is solid in most cases, but he seems incapable of thinking outside it when the scenario (like snow in KC) breaks his scheme.

C+

Comment

First time head coach saddled with Flacco, and still comes away 7-9. I gave him a B for not benching Flacco earlier, but otherwise I think he's going to turn into a solid coach for us. Expect 10-6 and participation in a playoff game next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X