No announcement yet.

Grade Hallmark Vic’s first season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m in with a “ B “. Love our defense. Feel good about the drafting so far. Looking forward to his next year. Our next year.

First time I’ve been able to say something like this in a while.

Comment

B. Lot of scrap heap pieces forced onto him, but we now have a staff full of great teachers who get the most out of what they have. Downgrade is purely for game management snafus but I think Vic is going to turn out to be a very good HC.

Comment

I gave him a B because they got better as season went on, and a lot of the young guys showed improvement. I thought the only game they weren’t prepared for was the 1st game with raiders; Gruden absolutely out-coached Fangio that game. In the GB game, they were just flat outclassed with talent(not his fault), but other than those two games, the Broncos were in all other games.

I have some grades for Fangio that are specific:

PC’s/Media = A to A+. Not really an indication of good/bad coaching, but he was very frank, and sometimes very entertaining. “The hell with chiropractors. Let’s play football!”
        Game management = D. Needs improvement, but eventually got better with use of TO’s.
        Player development = A. Overall good job of milking marginal players abilities, esp on defense.
        Synergy with FO = A
        Respect of players = A
        Knows when to flip from aggressive to conservative, & vice versa = C+ to B-. Got better as season progressed.
        Game day/Half time adjustments. Incomplete. Because it’s kind of hard to make adjustments when the bulk of the team is either too young and/or marginal in talent.

The team had a real slow and painful start, but stayed together and got better. However, they have some good young talent on both sides, and the team clearly was playing hard even when they were out of playoffs. The players praise for Fangio & Lock is not typical fluff. It’s the real deal. They love playing for Fangio, and they sincerely believe Lock is the man; again that’s not just player talk.

I think we may be surprised with some of the players that will stay, maybe even for a discount, and some of the players that will want to come to Denver because of the bright outlook of the team.

Comment

A+ grade for first 3 quarters and F for 4th quarter.

Comment

C+

Comment

I’ll give him a D for deer in the headlights.
              It was a learning experience for him, years as a coach in the NFL definitely helped in his transition to an NFL head coach and I think he soon realized the game from this new perspective looked a lot different from what he’s been used to.
              Clock management, timeouts, defense rotations, play calling sync and tempo all need to improve going into next season from his own calling and something he also needs to address to his coaching staff as a positive feedback.
              I think he did a great job as far as earning the respect of his players, he did nice things for them like giving them an extra day off after a win, recognizing job performances on the field by awarding game balls and things like that.
              He’s a coach, don’t get me wrong, there’s just things that are new to him he wished he could’ve done better, and that’s why he will have another chance at doing it over.

Again, I think the direction of this team going forward hinges on what kind of players we’ll get during the free agency and draft to satisfy our most pressing needs.

Overall grade: D+
              Let too many close winnable games escape us.

Comment

I am glad I wasn't the only one who heard about Vic's love of the Hallmark Channel during the last game.

I would give him a D- if I could. He and Donatell did a great job with a patchwork D that lost guys all year, that was the best thing he did and we don't know how much of that was Ed.

Helping out with D is great but he is the HC and has to oversee 2 other phases of the game which were managed poorly. The whole back and forth with McManus over the course of 2 different games, a real leader doesn't allow him to pull that hissy fit **** a 2nd time and get suckered into making a bad decision with a game on the line. Then there is the fact that they couldn't find a better punter than WADman.

On O it took Lock to spark the O, even then they continued to be predictable. Running consistently on 1st downs, lack of adjustments (though they did adjust in the 2nd half on Sunday), inability to pass block or add protection in pure passing situations. Then there is the turtling and relying on a depleted D once they got up 2 scores, that is on the HC, not the OC. His wanting to run out clock half way through the 2nd quarter vs Minn was just stupid. They didn't seem to want to attempt to run a 2 minute drill at the end of the 2nd half in any game. I believe the only times we scored in under 2 minutes were off turnovers. I can't remember if that was the case on Sunday.

Situational football was awful, calling a TO with 2 seconds left in the 3rd quarter knowing the O couldn't get the play called was beyond stupid. He failed to challenge a clear PI then late in the same game made a desperation challenge that wasn't going to get overturned and cost them a TO that would have given them an extra play to get a TD at the end of the game.

If Lock doesn't come around we go 0-5 and we probably get Mike McCarthy but we get another year of this guy trying to learn how to be a HC in his 60's who has a lot to learn. I hope I am wrong and he does watch more tape than the Hallmark Channel this offseason and he and Scabby go to a ton of coaching conferences and talk to College guys and learn how to manage TO's and 2 minute drills. It is a steep learning curve here is how I grade him:

D - A+
                O - D
                ST- F
                Situational football - F
                Game plans - C
                Game Adjustments- D-

Edit: I forgot about all the times they got burned on 3rd and longs mostly with the stupid 3 man rush that Chuckie and Andy knew were coming, and the just as stupid blitz's on 3rd and long that didn't get home. Big old F for that alone.

Comment

Originally posted by broncosteven View Post
                  I am glad I wasn't the only one who heard about Vic's love of the Hallmark Channel during the last game.

I would give him a D- if I could. He and Donatell did a great job with a patchwork D that lost guys all year, that was the best thing he did and we don't know how much of that was Ed.

Helping out with D is great but he is the HC and has to oversee 2 other phases of the game which were managed poorly. The whole back and forth with McManus over the course of 2 different games, a real leader doesn't allow him to pull that hissy fit **** a 2nd time and get suckered into making a bad decision with a game on the line. Then there is the fact that they couldn't find a better punter than WADman.

On O it took Lock to spark the O, even then they continued to be predictable. Running consistently on 1st downs, lack of adjustments (though they did adjust in the 2nd half on Sunday), inability to pass block or add protection in pure passing situations. Then there is the turtling and relying on a depleted D once they got up 2 scores, that is on the HC, not the OC. His wanting to run out clock half way through the 2nd quarter vs Minn was just stupid. They didn't seem to want to attempt to run a 2 minute drill at the end of the 2nd half in any game. I believe the only times we scored in under 2 minutes were off turnovers. I can't remember if that was the case on Sunday.

Situational football was awful, calling a TO with 2 seconds left in the 3rd quarter knowing the O couldn't get the play called was beyond stupid. He failed to challenge a clear PI then late in the same game made a desperation challenge that wasn't going to get overturned and cost them a TO that would have given them an extra play to get a TD at the end of the game.

If Lock doesn't come around we go 0-5 and we probably get Mike McCarthy but we get another year of this guy trying to learn how to be a HC in his 60's who has a lot to learn. I hope I am wrong and he does watch more tape than the Hallmark Channel this offseason and he and Scabby go to a ton of coaching conferences and talk to College guys and learn how to manage TO's and 2 minute drills. It is a steep learning curve here is how I grade him:

D - A+
                  O - D
                  ST- F
                  Situational football - F
                  Game plans - C
                  Game Adjustments- D-

What about the FO? A+?

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post

VIcs incompetence had a hand in those close losses.
                    poor time management, clock manegement, use of time outs and challenges.
                    He's a first year HC. He needs to learn from those mistakes

Comment

It was a brutal beginning to the season, which is to be expected from a rookie head coach.
                      As the season wore on, the team got better, his coaching did as well. There were some gaps but I expect that much like with Lock, he will improve upon it during next season.

B from me.

Comment

I give him a C. He's a first time NFL HC and it showed at times, especially before Lock started. But the season ended with the team heading in the right direction so I give some props for that. I'm disappointed that, for whatever reason, Miller didn't have a great year statistically, but I'm hoping that he gets back to double digit sacks next year. I also hope he gets Chubb going in the sack/QB pressure department, Chubb's season before his injury, was also uninspiring and I'm confused as to why, between Chubb and Miller, they registered so few sacks.

Comment

announcer also said he was ALONE on christmas eve and christmas?
                          is he not married, no kids or family ?

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
                            announcer also said he was ALONE on christmas eve and christmas?
                            is he not married, no kids or family ?
                            Pretty sure his family is with him, I remember seeing stories about him and his daughter liking Denver or some such thing...

Comment

I'd give him a C+. The red-zone D was clutch, but the constant breakdowns were worrying. Granted we had a **** ton of injuries on D this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
                                I give him a C. He's a first time NFL HC and it showed at times, especially before Lock started. But the season ended with the team heading in the right direction so I give some props for that. I'm disappointed that, for whatever reason, Miller didn't have a great year statistically, but I'm hoping that he gets back to double digit sacks next year. I also hope he gets Chubb going in the sack/QB pressure department, Chubb's season before his injury, was also uninspiring and I'm confused as to why, between Chubb and Miller, they registered so few sacks.
                                We’re fine when we have everybody healthy. Chubb, Shelby Harris, Wolfe, Von, Attaochu, Dre’mont, Johnson, Malik Reed, Jewell are in my view productive players up front. We still need inside linebacker help.
                                I suspect we can reevaluate after the FA signing period and the draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X