Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, QB1 is settled. Who do we want for our Back up QB?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Well, QB1 is settled. Who do we want for our Back up QB?

    37
    Keep Flacco and make him carry Drew's Jockstrap
    0%
    0
    Sign Brandon Allen to an Extension
    45.95%
    17
    Sign Brett Rypien from the Practice Squad
    18.92%
    7
    Sign a Veteran Free Agent like Blake Bortles or AJ McCarron
    10.81%
    4
    Draft a guy like Steven Montez or Jordan Love in the late rounds.
    8.11%
    3
    Sloter!!!!!!!!!!!!
    16.22%
    6

    The poll is expired.


  • #2
    I’d wish we had more than one selection.
    We can go with both Allen and Rypien and still be a cheaper option than any other.
    i really want to see what we have in Rypien. I’ve got the feeling he could be a diamond in the rough, and I would hate for him not to have the opportunity to start a career some place else where he could be the guy.
    We haven’t seen enough of Rypien to really be able to form an educated opinion on who he is.
    That’s my personal opinion.

    Comment


    • #3
      Watch Bryce Perkins tonight from Virginia in the Orange bowl. Poor mans, Lamar Jackson. NFL is liking these RPO's type. I'm biased as a lifelong UVA fan.

      Comment


      • #4
        Not really sure how I feel about back up QB right now. If we can save money by cutting Flacco, yes, do it. But if his dead money is too big of a hit, let him stay backup for 1 year. After that, go draft somebody. You don't want to feel like you're settling on your backup. If a guy has played (regular season or preseason) and you haven't seen enough positives from him, move on. You want your back up QB to be able to push the starter, at least to some degree. Garoppolo is a good example, he went on to become a good quality starter for SF. That's the type of backup you would want to have, somebody you feel might be that good. You don't want somebody you feel has no chance in hell at ever becoming a quality starter. You also want somebody (IMO) who is similar to your starter, that way if the starter goes down, it's not a complete shock to the system so to speak. I don't think Allen or Rypien have good enough arms if you ask me. Flacco has the arm, but screw that, he's a statue in the pocket. So I'd look to draft a big arm kid who is mobile and develop him.

        Comment


        • #5
          With Lock being QBOTF, Denver will likely go back to carrying just 2 QBs.

          Comment


          • #6
            Lock and Allen ride or die. Allen can be his o coordinator in his last two super bowls

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ZONA View Post
              Not really sure how I feel about back up QB right now. If we can save money by cutting Flacco, yes, do it. But if his dead money is too big of a hit, let him stay backup for 1 year. After that, go draft somebody. You don't want to feel like you're settling on your backup. If a guy has played (regular season or preseason) and you haven't seen enough positives from him, move on. You want your back up QB to be able to push the starter, at least to some degree. Garoppolo is a good example, he went on to become a good quality starter for SF. That's the type of backup you would want to have, somebody you feel might be that good. You don't want somebody you feel has no chance in hell at ever becoming a quality starter. You also want somebody (IMO) who is similar to your starter, that way if the starter goes down, it's not a complete shock to the system so to speak. I don't think Allen or Rypien have good enough arms if you ask me. Flacco has the arm, but screw that, he's a statue in the pocket. So I'd look to draft a big arm kid who is mobile and develop him.
              JC, how many times have people gone over this, there’s not going to be any issues with dumping Flacco this offseason.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by OABB View Post
                Lock and Allen ride or die. Allen can be his o coordinator in his last two super bowls
                Using this analogy, it should be rypien who does this since they were part of the same rookie class. Plus Allen's hair is stupid.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                  Not really sure how I feel about back up QB right now. If we can save money by cutting Flacco, yes, do it. But if his dead money is too big of a hit, let him stay backup for 1 year. After that, go draft somebody. You don't want to feel like you're settling on your backup. If a guy has played (regular season or preseason) and you haven't seen enough positives from him, move on. You want your back up QB to be able to push the starter, at least to some degree. Garoppolo is a good example, he went on to become a good quality starter for SF. That's the type of backup you would want to have, somebody you feel might be that good. You don't want somebody you feel has no chance in hell at ever becoming a quality starter. You also want somebody (IMO) who is similar to your starter, that way if the starter goes down, it's not a complete shock to the system so to speak. I don't think Allen or Rypien have good enough arms if you ask me. Flacco has the arm, but screw that, he's a statue in the pocket. So I'd look to draft a big arm kid who is mobile and develop him.
                  Flacco's Dead cap over the next 2 years is equal to what they would have to pay him next year. They converted his deal early in the year so that they converted like $15 Mill to a signing bonus and the next 2 years money is not guaranteed. I think he is a likely cut, he is not going to push Lock and didn't seem to care all that much about the team when he was starting other than at the end when he complained about Scabby being scared.

                  Cut Joe and sign another vet on the cheaper side or they could save that $7 mill on a vet and go youth. The rest of the team is young and our coaches are learning on the job so I guess it makes sense to go young even though I voted to bring in a Vet QB as backup.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    No Montez, please. Not unless Shenault and Nixon come free as part of the package.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I can't see Flacco willingly accepting the backup job here. He's a turd who will wind up either requesting a trade (lol), asking for (and likely getting) his release, or just retiring. Honestly his career is likely over. There are going to be a number of QBs potentially flooding the market this year, combined with several new incoming draftees. It's not a great year to be a fringe starting QB.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Obviously it should be Sloter.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                          Obviously it should be Sloter.
                          All joking and trolling aside, I would love to see this.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Powderaddict View Post

                            All joking and trolling aside, I would love to see this.
                            I mean he’s obviously better than Allen and he wouldn’t cost anything.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by broncosteven View Post

                              Flacco's Dead cap over the next 2 years is equal to what they would have to pay him next year. They converted his deal early in the year so that they converted like $15 Mill to a signing bonus and the next 2 years money is not guaranteed. I think he is a likely cut, he is not going to push Lock and didn't seem to care all that much about the team when he was starting other than at the end when he complained about Scabby being scared.

                              Cut Joe and sign another vet on the cheaper side or they could save that $7 mill on a vet and go youth. The rest of the team is young and our coaches are learning on the job so I guess it makes sense to go young even though I voted to bring in a Vet QB as backup.
                              OK, then we absolutely should dump Flacco. Don't need to spend that type of money on a back up. And I wouldn't bring in some other vet either, same reasons, no need to spend significant money for your backup. I don't think Allen and Rypien are worth keeping either. Just look for somebody in the draft you can develop behind Lock, somebody with a nice arm and decent mobility, but maybe falls in the draft because they played at a smaller college or something. Get the guy who has the physical tools but is raw. Big arm, mobile, smart, raw. That's what you're looking for in the draft.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X