Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Areas Drew Lock needs to address for improvement this off-season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OABB View Post
    He needs to work on making murder look like a suicide and take Scangarello out
    rofl

Comment

I mentioned it in the gameday thread. Lock needs to be decisive on bootlegs. His dig route is open almost every time and he hesitates until the defense recovers. I don't know if he's waiting for the deep shot or if he isn't seeing it, but he needs to react quicker. Kudos to him for getting positive yards with his legs and checkdowns, but he should be getting automatic first downs.

Second, I hope he gets cocky like Manning and becomes his own coordinator to an extent. Don't let Scangs kill drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Brohemoth View Post
        I mentioned it in the gameday thread. Lock needs to be decisive on bootlegs. His dig route is open almost every time and he hesitates until the defense recovers. I don't know if he's waiting for the deep shot or if he isn't seeing it, but he needs to react quicker. Kudos to him for getting positive yards with his legs and checkdowns, but he should be getting automatic first downs.

Second, I hope he gets cocky like Manning and becomes his own coordinator to an extent. Don't let Scangs kill drives.
        It will be a long time before we ever see that again. Most great QB’s have the luxury of one, maybe 2 coaches for their entire careers. Manning went to 4 SB’s with 4 different head coaches. He was just smarter than any coordinator they could hire. I hope he gets into coaching at some point because I could see him being the next Bill Walsh. I see Lock as a Favre-like

Comment

Agreed. On a few of these, I think he's looking for the deeper receiver to come open. I think as he gains experience, he'll learn to just hit that first guy he sees open, because the windows open and close so fast in the NFL, you can't waste missing an open player hoping another route comes open. But you have to like that he's looking for those deeper routes to come open. You don't want an Alex Smith where he's evolves into captain checkdown and he's never looking deep. Alot of QB's keep their eyes no further than 15 yards downfield and miss out on big plays that way. One of the things I have liked about Lock is his willingness to look for the deep routes and connect with them. And yes to all the other stuff people have posted, he'll work on all of that stuff (footwork, study defenses, etc). Heck, even last game I thought his footwork was 10 times better than his first regular season game. I also love those throws he can make off platform. You can't coach some of that stuff, you either have it or you don't. He has the tools to be special, maybe even elite. Now it's up to Elway and the coaches to get our OL looking and playing better.

Comment

AARON ROGERS VS DREW LOCK
            1ST 5 CAREER GAMES

ROGERS 2-3
            ATT COMP YDS TD INT
            103 163 1437 9 4 64.3%

LOCK 4-1
            ATT COMP YDS TD INT
            100 156 1020 7 3 64.1%

Comment

...not calling the cops every time he wakes up with me trying to cut off a lock of his hair. I know he loves me because of the screams. Oh, you meant foosball.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post

AARON ROGERS VS DREW LOCK
                1ST 5 CAREER GAMES

ROGERS 2-3
                ATT COMP YDS TD INT
                103 163 1437 9 4 64.3%

LOCK 4-1
                ATT COMP YDS TD INT
                100 156 1020 7 3 64.1%
                And didn't Rogers sit the pine for like 3 years behind Favre? Lock is doing this in his true rookie year.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post
                  ^^^^^

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	534
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	2544595
                  and I like it !

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that as well, During his roll outs he is slow to come off of his "check with me" reads. Basically they are just quick checks on deep routes that are almost never open, but you give them a quick look right out of the gate to make sure the Defense didn't screw up and then move onto your primary read. But, as you noticed, if you get stuck on that quick check you miss the window on your primary read.

As for Scangs. I'm one of the few on the board that is still on his band-wagon. I think Scangs can design some really good plays and we saw that on display against Houston. But he also has the fatal flaw of thinking he is more clever than a talented or disciplined defense. Despite their many issues, the Raiders front was playing disciplined assignment based football against us. Misdirection plays were a complete waste because they were not over committing and a slick play call wasn't going to get them to suddenly start over-committing. I'm hoping he learned his lesson. We will see. If there isn't a decent jump forward for Scangs in year 2, I will re-evaluate.

Comment

There’s an ugly side to being too cocky, look no further than Baker Mayfield. He got so cocky he thinks he doesn’t need any help/coaching to get better. He believes he can do it himself. He’s starting to remind of a big bust by the name Jeff Goerge.
                      https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-bake...195337203.html

Which is great. Mayfield would be lying to himself if he didn’t believe he had room for improvement; despite having some of the best offensive skill players in the NFL on the field with him, his numbers dipped from last year in pretty much every category.

But here’s where Mayfield sounded incredibly short-sighted and, really, arrogant: He has no interest in working with a private coach.

“I do not need somebody to teach me how to do a three-step drop,” Mayfield said. “I can look at film and be critical of myself. Throughout this process, I have had people help me out along the way and try and take things from different people.

Comment

Originally posted by peacepipe View Post
                        There’s an ugly side to being too cocky, look no further than Baker Mayfield. He got so cocky he thinks he doesn’t need any help/coaching to get better. He believes he can do it himself. He’s starting to remind of a big bust by the name Jeff Goerge.
                        https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-bake...195337203.html

Lock will work with Manning this offseason

Comment

Originally posted by Strip Sacked View Post
                          One thing that's great about Lock is the guy always gets better. I felt like he even improved in between preseason games. Everything about his play is still really raw, but we've gotten a clean look at what he can do with all of his talent. I truly feel like we'll all be quite impressed with what he brings on to the field next season. He'll look a lot better if he keeps his head focused and builds better chemistry with his receivers. From everything we've seen from him, he's done nothing to show he's incapable of taking the next couple steps.
                          And he’s making everyone around him better, more energized.

Comment

Originally posted by v2micca View Post
                            By now, every team in the NFL has 20 full quarters of game footage on our young QB. They will have the entire off-season to analyze his tendencies and develop defensive plays to better stymie him. If Lock wishes to stay ahead of the curve and avoid a Baker Mayfield styled sophomore season he's going to need to put in some serious work this off-season. These are (in my opinion) the four most pressing areas for improvement.

1. Footwork. Its almost a cliche at this point to note that a young QB needs to clean up their footwork, but there is a reason for this. Drew Brees is undersized for the position and has below average arm strength. But he is going to retire with a handful of All time records because (among other reasons) he has the best footwork of any QB to play for the last two decades. Good footwork leads to better mechanics leads to better accuracy on intermediate and deep passes. We can all appreciate a QB able to make plays off platform. But I appreciate even more a QB that can very quickly set their feet, align their mechanics, and fire an accurate strike downfield. Drew's footwork looked so much better this December than what we saw from him in the Pre-season. But he still has a tendency to drift in the pocket, and occasionally fire the ball from odd angles when he had time to set his feet. During training camp 2020 I want to see a leap forward in his footwork comparable to what we saw this year. If he can accomplish that, we are going to see improvements in his accuracy and consistency.

2. Anticipation. Part of this will come as he develops chemistry with his primary receivers. He's had a lot of throws that, while they were on target, were just a touch late, forcing the receiver to reach back for the pass. You lose out on so much YAC when you aren't properly leading the receiver. Beyond the loss YAC, there were passes that he missed out on because he's not getting rid of the ball before the reciever's break. This is tough for a young QB to develop and I suspect that off-season sessions with his receiving corps will help him iron some of it out. But he will need to put in the work to completely internalize the Broncos Playbook so he knows on any given play where his guys should be and he can pull the trigger that split-second sooner.

3. Pocket Presense. Almost feels like I'm nitpicking on this one because his ability to sense pressure is already light-years beyond our last 4 QBs. He's also not looking to run when he scrambles as he is keeping his eyes downfield. But, as good as he already is, there is still room for improvement. He will drift in the pocket sometimes and move himself into tighter quarters. He needs to develop a better sense of where his soft spots in the pocket are. The Broncos can help him a bunch here by using the draft and free agency to upgrade the line. But he's going to need to work on developing that instinct to stand tall in the pocket, maintain his footwork, minimize drift, and find the soft spots instead of bailing.

4. Eye Manipulation. Lock is the prototypical size for a QB. But, with that advantage comes a challenge. DBs in zone coverage and roaming Safeties can read his eyes. He is not going to get away with staring down receivers against better defenders. He needs to improve his ability to hold the safety with his eyes on deep routes. I remember John Elway having one of the better off-set looks in the league during his playing days. Really hope he gives Lock some pointers on that, because it is such a useful tool for a QB to have on their belt.
                            Excellent post, V2micca.

Lock said he was going to work with Peyton & Elway this offseason. Because of CBA rules, I don’t know when Elway would actually be able to help him, and it might not be until after the coaches are allowed to. However, Peyton would be able to start to work with him anytime they both want to. While Peyton can help him with any of these issues, he especially would be helpful with #’s 2,3, &4.

In addition to 3 & 4 above, I think Elway would be great at helping him with plays on the run, and when the play breaks down and he has to improvise. I always thought that was one of the things that made him a “special” QB. Btw, the famous helicopter play in SB 32 was a perfect example of this. The called play broke down and he had to improvise in a split second, and is almost as legendary as “The Drive.”

This is going to be a real long off-season. Not because things are so doom & gloom, but just the opposite. I already want TC to start; I can’t wait!

Comment

He’s looking for big gainers and home run strikes...love that about him, but I think he will learn that moving the chains consistently is perhaps more important as a pro.... I also think his game pre and film study will inform him which teams, players are more prone to over the top action...

Comment

Originally posted by B-Large View Post

He’s looking for big gainers and home run strikes...love that about him, but I think he will learn that moving the chains consistently is perhaps more important as a pro.... I also think his game pre and film study will inform him which teams, players are more prone to over the top action...
                                He'll also likely get faster at processing so he can look for the deep strike without the window of the shorter pass closing.

Comment

Working...
                                X