The GROSS Mishandling of Drew Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drunk Monkey View Post

He is due something like 20M. You think he is going to leave that on the table. If he is gone it will be the Broncos doing not his.
    I’m not privy to the terms of his contract but I’m sure he’s going to get money regardless if he plays or retires.....but either way he’s not going to be in Denver next year in my opinion

Comment

• Originally posted by errand View Post

I’m not privy to the terms of his contract but I’m sure he’s going to get money regardless if he plays or retires.....but either way he’s not going to be in Denver next year in my opinion
      If he retires he voids the contract (I think). I doubt he goes that way. I am fine eating his dead cap hit. Dude sucks, has non value to our team. Kick rocks. Merry Christmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by errand View Post

For what I understand, only one year in his contract was guaranteed.

Comment

• Originally posted by strafen View Post

For what I understand, only one year in his contract was guaranteed.
          The actual money was never the issue. It's the cap hit. If we cut him straight up we incur a 13.6 mil dead cap hit and save 10 mil. If we do it post June 1 then we incur a 3.4 mil dead cap hit in 2020, 10.2 in 2021 and then a clean sheet in 2022.

If you cut Davis, Leary and Flacco you have 88 mil to spend in 2020. Without the "restructure" that figure would be closer to 101 mil. Flacco's contract doesn't truly impact things in terms of being able to bring in another player, the incurring dead cap when it wasn't necessary just made no sense. They swapped 13.6 mil in cap from 2019 to 2020. It would have been one thing to have a trade in the works or extensions on the table. But Janovich's extension didn't even make a dent in that 13.6 mil saved, nor was it required for the extension.

Comment

• Flacco was brought in for $18.5M on a 1 year deal, to make the playoffs. He didn't do that. Instead, he's proven himself as an invaluable resource who has helped Drew Lock be as prepared as possible every Sunday. For that, I thank Joe Flacco. After this year, he'll be gone.

Comment

• Not sure how you cut Todd Davis who is 12th in the NFL in Tackles with 121, and has a chance to get into the top 10. Especially with no replacement. Doesn't make sense.

Comment

• the handling of lock was so GROSS that this thread has transformed into concerns about the flacco cap impact.

Comment

• Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                  Not sure how you cut Todd Davis who is 12th in the NFL in Tackles with 121, and has a chance to get into the top 10. Especially with no replacement. Doesn't make sense.
                  Cause you need a coverage LB to pair with Johnson.

Comment

Flacco was brought in for $18.5M on a 1 year deal, to make the playoffs. He didn't do that. Instead, he's proven himself as an invaluable resource who has helped Drew Lock be as prepared as possible every Sunday. For that, I thank Joe Flacco. After this year, he'll be gone.
                    Here you go again with this narrative bull ****. Flacco was a terrible move to begin with. He's a sunk cost and helped no one.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

Here you go again with this narrative bull ****. Flacco was a terrible move to begin with. He's a sunk cost and helped no one.
                      Making up bull**** narratives is kind of price’s thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
                        the handling of lock was so GROSS that this thread has transformed into concerns about the flacco cap impact.
                        Well, we no longer need the guy and he never proved to be indispensable.
                        The backups proved to be more useful and productive than Flacco.
                        It could very well be that scangarello system, experience, or the lack there of, collided with Flacco’s quarterback and offensive philosophy on how things ought to be run.
                        Flacco is a seasoned veteran and when he made those comments about scangarello I paid attention and there was some truth to it.
                        Where I put the finger on how his season in Denver went, is on Flacco himself. Perhaps he’s the respectful type guy that didn’t want to create friction with his OC that he opted NOT to change calls on the field when he should’ve, and rather stayed away from the things that could’ve gone against the team’s coaching plan. Who knows.
                        I don’t know why he said what he said about Scangarello. Maybe they couldn’t work together?
                        Perhaps Scangarello wasn’t receptive to Flacco’s input and feedback?!
                        Flacco is a decent quarterback. I was upbeat when we’ve got him to be honest, but being a quarterback doesn’t necessarily mean being a leader, as Flacco’s play in Denver proved to be.

Quarterback and leadership abilities go hand in hand it being the most important position on the team. You’ve got to lead by your play, by your confidence you display, and by the way you handle yourself overall. People pay attention to that stuff, and if you’re the introverted type, you’re not going to be very successful.
                        Last edited by strafen; 12-25-2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Cause you need a coverage LB to pair with Johnson.
                          I'm not sure Johnson is the answer either. Neither impress me as impact ILB's. Johnson would be lucky to break 100 tackles even if he started all 16 games this year. Broncos run Defense is still atrocious at times with both Davis and Johnson. Both their contracts run up after 2020.

Comment

I think this OL would've ruined Lock had he played all season. And I also think Flacco is a good resource for young QB's like Lamar Jackson and Drew Lock. Chief's basically retired Flacco in Mile High with 9 sacks and a herniated disc. No telling the punishment Lock would've sustained up to this point without Flacco.

Comment

Flacco was brought in for $18.5M on a 1 year deal, to make the playoffs. He didn't do that. Instead, he's proven himself as an invaluable resource who has helped Drew Lock be as prepared as possible every Sunday. For that, I thank Joe Flacco. After this year, he'll be gone.
                              By all accounts he hasn't helped at all. That's been apparant on gameday as well as during camp. Lock has good things to say about Flacco because Lock is a good teammate. When asked about helping Lock, Flacco's response was "not my job".

After how he treated Jackson in Baltimore, to his comments regarding Lock, it would be foolish to assume Flacco has helped more than the bare minimum. Even more foolish to consider his contributions "invaluable". Realistically, I doubt Lock has learned anything of significant value from Flacco. He doesn't really possess the elite skill set, personality, or leadership traits necessary for such events.

Comment

I think this OL would've ruined Lock had he played all season. And I also think Flacco is a good resource for young QB's like Lamar Jackson and Drew Lock. Chief's basically retired Flacco in Mile High with 9 sacks and a herniated disc. No telling the punishment Lock would've sustained up to this point without Flacco.
                                The OL is worse off now than it was early in the season, how would that ruin Lock? He's proven to not have thesame crippling deficiencies as Flacco- an inability to perform without a perfect OL. If Lock played all season, we likely would not be finishing with a losing record, even if only for Lock's ability to not take unnecessary sacks every other series.

Comment

Working...
                                X