The GROSS Mishandling of Drew Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GROSS Mishandling of Drew Lock

I have been contemplating all the times throughout the season on how Drew Lock has been mishandled, and it has been staggering. There have been 5 major decisions throughout the 2019 season (since training camp) that blows my mind about how Drew Lock has been mishandled. So... here goes in chronological order...

1)Preaseason
    Lock is behind Kevin Hogan on the preseason depth chart. Lets take a look back:

Hall of fame game: Joe Flacco didn't play. Kevin Hogan started and Drew Lock was the #2 qb for that game (Hogan 5/8 37 yds 0 td 0int; Lock 7/11 34 yds 0 td 0 int; Rypien 5/10 41 yds 1td 0 int)

Game 2 Flacco starts and plays 1 series. Kevin Hogan is the #2 for that game but only plays 1 series and Lock the #3 qb plays the rest of the game. (Flacco 3/4 19 yds 0 td 0int; Hogan 3/7 27 yds 0 td 0 int; Lock 17/28 180 yds, 1 td 1 int)

Game 3 Flacco starts and plays 3 series and Lock is the #2 qb but he only plays 3 series (was this when Lock injured his thumb?) and Hogan played the rest of the game. (Flacco 7/11 59 yds 0 td 0 int; Lock 7/12 40 yds 0 td 0 int; Hogan 5/15 40 yds 0 td 1 int)

This was Lock's last action in the preseason as he was put on injured reserve.

So, there it is, as Hogan was ahead of Lock in games 1 and 2, but in game 3 Lock was ahead of Hogan until his thumb injury.

2)The decision to put Lock on injured reserve for an injury that Lock could come back within 4-6 weeks. 2 of those weeks was during the last two weeks of the preseason, so at regular season start, Lock would be out 2-4 more weeks. Is this amount of time being missed justification for being put on IR? Remember, his thumb was sprained, not broken (X-rays came back negative)

3)The slow play of bringing Lock back off IR. Lock was eligible to come off of IR after week 6 to begin practicing for 2 weeks and could have been eligible to be on the roster after 8 weeks. So, after week 6, (Lock's thumb was 100% healed by this point) the Broncos decide not to have Lock start practicing during week 7 (the home KC loss) and still not practicing during week 8 Flacco's neck injury and loss to Indy.

4)The continued slow play of bringing Lock back with Flacco out. This is the most mind-boggling part of the handling of Lock. With Flacco out, the Broncos continue to keep Lock off the practice field and bring in unknown Brandon Allen, and bring Brett Rypien off the practice squad to #2. WHAT? If the Broncos would have handling Lock properly, they could have had Lock locked and ready to go (and possibly save the season! and make a run for the playoffs!), had Lock never been put on IR. But, if they would have brought Lock back asap from IR, he still could have been ready to go for week 8 (Allen's win over Cleveland). So, Lock STILL doesn't start practicing, still sits on the IR list during week 9 (against Cleveland) and week 10 (Bye week). In week 11, Allen gets off to fast start vs Minnesota but struggles badly in 2nd half as Broncos blow 20-0 lead and lose. In week 12, Allen struggles mightily against Buffalo the entire game as Broncos lose 20-3.

Finally in week 13 we see the regular season debut of Lock vs the Chargers. In Drew Lock's 4 games so far, the Broncos has scored 23, 38, and 27 points in his 3 wins. In his lone loss, against KC was played in a blizzard, so throw that game out the window for evaluating Lock's development.

Lock's season stats in his 4 games 83/128 64.8% 6 td 3 int 89.4 rating

So, with all this said, this is not all of the reasons Lock has been mishandled...

5)Lock was going to be kept on IR and never activated had Flacco never been injured. Speculation on Elway was to consider the 2019 season as a red-shirt year, with Flacco as the #1 and in 2020, Flacco was supposed to still be the #1 (and still might be!). So, we could have sucked through a 4-12 season under Flacco (this is my guess on what the Broncos would finish had Flacco not been injured- remember, the Broncos were 2-6 through Flacco's 8 starts). Meanwhile, we would never get to see the Broncos second round pick (who they moved up to get) and go into 2020 with Flacco as the #1 qb off of a likely 4-12 season, and having ZERO idea of what kind of QB you have in Drew Lock.

You could be on to something, If you have a time machine. But what if Lock actually needed all that time to be what he is today?

If Flacco didn't suck he wouldn't of been IR'd. that was the graceful way for our amazing GM to save some face, nationally at least, on that trade.

Comment

looks pretty good. seems they got it right to me.

Comment

True but I think the important thing is he finally got his opportunity and he’s made the best of it.

Comment

I think the main point of the OP is that had Flacco not been hurt, we never would’ve had known what we had in Lock. I agree.

Comment

Comment

Much hindsight here. Lock had alot to study about running a pro offense and there's an old saying for apprentices....keep learning to be ready when your time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by strafen View Post
                I think the main point of the OP is that had Flacco not been hurt, we never would’ve had known what we had in Lock. I agree.
                I don't think Flacco being IR'd had as much to do with his "injury" as it did with his performance. I'm sure his comments in the presser helped a little too. Flacco got his chance and stunk, the Team moved on. I don't know how people can complain about that really, big picture wise.

Comment

Originally posted by jmz313 View Post

I don't think Flacco being IR'd had as much to do with his "injury" as it did with his performance. I'm sure his comments in the presser helped a little too. Flacco got his chance and stunk, the Team moved on. I don't know how people can complain about that really, big picture wise.
                  Yeah. His performance has been a disappointment for sure. That was terrible beyond anything I had hoped Flacco to be this year. Man oh man. That was atrocious and come to think now that our OL as bad as it’s been, they played under a lot of distress with Flacco in the lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by yerner View Post
                    looks pretty good. seems they got it right to me.
                    end result, we have a rookie QB who is looking off safeties before he targets his intended receiver, he moves well on play action and also shows the ability to read the D and change the call at the LOS.
                    He is taking snaps from under center, something he NEVER did in college as well as calling plays in the huddle.
                    At this point I dont give a rats arse about how he got here, the end result is we have a bona fide QBOTF !
                    HATE for JFE must be off the charts if you are complaining about the results of his "cautious" treatment !

Comment

Originally posted by jmz313 View Post

bingo !

Comment

Originally posted by SVine View Post
                        I have been contemplating all the times throughout the season on how Drew Lock has been mishandled, and it has been staggering. There have been 5 major decisions throughout the 2019 season (since training camp) that blows my mind about how Drew Lock has been mishandled. So... here goes in chronological order...

1)Preaseason
                        Lock is behind Kevin Hogan on the preseason depth chart. Lets take a look back:

Hall of fame game: Joe Flacco didn't play. Kevin Hogan started and Drew Lock was the #2 qb for that game (Hogan 5/8 37 yds 0 td 0int; Lock 7/11 34 yds 0 td 0 int; Rypien 5/10 41 yds 1td 0 int)

Game 2 Flacco starts and plays 1 series. Kevin Hogan is the #2 for that game but only plays 1 series and Lock the #3 qb plays the rest of the game. (Flacco 3/4 19 yds 0 td 0int; Hogan 3/7 27 yds 0 td 0 int; Lock 17/28 180 yds, 1 td 1 int)

Game 3 Flacco starts and plays 3 series and Lock is the #2 qb but he only plays 3 series (was this when Lock injured his thumb?) and Hogan played the rest of the game. (Flacco 7/11 59 yds 0 td 0 int; Lock 7/12 40 yds 0 td 0 int; Hogan 5/15 40 yds 0 td 1 int)

This was Lock's last action in the preseason as he was put on injured reserve.

So, there it is, as Hogan was ahead of Lock in games 1 and 2, but in game 3 Lock was ahead of Hogan until his thumb injury.

2)The decision to put Lock on injured reserve for an injury that Lock could come back within 4-6 weeks. 2 of those weeks was during the last two weeks of the preseason, so at regular season start, Lock would be out 2-4 more weeks. Is this amount of time being missed justification for being put on IR? Remember, his thumb was sprained, not broken (X-rays came back negative)

3)The slow play of bringing Lock back off IR. Lock was eligible to come off of IR after week 6 to begin practicing for 2 weeks and could have been eligible to be on the roster after 8 weeks. So, after week 6, (Lock's thumb was 100% healed by this point) the Broncos decide not to have Lock start practicing during week 7 (the home KC loss) and still not practicing during week 8 Flacco's neck injury and loss to Indy.

4)The continued slow play of bringing Lock back with Flacco out. This is the most mind-boggling part of the handling of Lock. With Flacco out, the Broncos continue to keep Lock off the practice field and bring in unknown Brandon Allen, and bring Brett Rypien off the practice squad to #2. WHAT? If the Broncos would have handling Lock properly, they could have had Lock locked and ready to go (and possibly save the season! and make a run for the playoffs!), had Lock never been put on IR. But, if they would have brought Lock back asap from IR, he still could have been ready to go for week 8 (Allen's win over Cleveland). So, Lock STILL doesn't start practicing, still sits on the IR list during week 9 (against Cleveland) and week 10 (Bye week). In week 11, Allen gets off to fast start vs Minnesota but struggles badly in 2nd half as Broncos blow 20-0 lead and lose. In week 12, Allen struggles mightily against Buffalo the entire game as Broncos lose 20-3.

Finally in week 13 we see the regular season debut of Lock vs the Chargers. In Drew Lock's 4 games so far, the Broncos has scored 23, 38, and 27 points in his 3 wins. In his lone loss, against KC was played in a blizzard, so throw that game out the window for evaluating Lock's development.

Lock's season stats in his 4 games 83/128 64.8% 6 td 3 int 89.4 rating

So, with all this said, this is not all of the reasons Lock has been mishandled...

5)Lock was going to be kept on IR and never activated had Flacco never been injured. Speculation on Elway was to consider the 2019 season as a red-shirt year, with Flacco as the #1 and in 2020, Flacco was supposed to still be the #1 (and still might be!). So, we could have sucked through a 4-12 season under Flacco (this is my guess on what the Broncos would finish had Flacco not been injured- remember, the Broncos were 2-6 through Flacco's 8 starts). Meanwhile, we would never get to see the Broncos second round pick (who they moved up to get) and go into 2020 with Flacco as the #1 qb off of a likely 4-12 season, and having ZERO idea of what kind of QB you have in Drew Lock.

I thought LOCK must be a bust for sure the way they kept him off the field.
                        So glad to be completely wrong !

insread of looking back on things none of us can change, I encourage my fellow bronco fans to look FORWARD to the FUTURE !
                        Lock is our QBOTF and 2020 will be a great year for our broncos !

Comment

I think maybe the Minny game may have played out differently putting Denver at 7-8 . Doubt Lock sees the field until CLEV. Since a long shot to make the playoffs. BUF still whips us though I posted on 8/24 WTF was Denver doing IRing Lock in favor of the 53rd player.

Comment

Originally posted by strafen View Post
                            So the main point is based completely on conjecture? Yay

Comment

1. I love diagnosing Lock's injury from afar. What if he plays before it's healed and he completely tears a ligament and he's done for the year?
                              2. What if Lock starts earlier this year and sucks? Fans are impatient. They'll consider him a bust and move on. ****, we had at least 1 thread talking about taking a first round QB in 2020 before Lock even took a snap.
                              3. They played it really safe with Lock in a season that was never going to end with the Broncos as contenders. Can't you just accept how it played out and see maybe it was for the best?

Comment

Working...
                              X