Munchak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munchak

Mike Munchak is highly regarded and has an excellent resume as an o-line coach, so I was pumped when we got him. Also, I never expected him to turn the line around in just one year, so this year's ****ty o-line play has not changed my opinion of the man or his abilities.

However, I do have a nagging concern at the back of my mind I want to share with the mane. The offense we use really depends on having a strong running game,and that running game tends to lean heavily on zone blocking. I don't think its perhaps as cut-and-dried as in the past, I think these days most lines mix power and zone concepts to a greater extent than they used to, but it still remains a point of emphasis in the offense we run as far as I'm aware.

Also, with respect to zone blocking, I've always felt its something that's harder to get good at, but devastatingly effective if you do. That puts a lot more emphasis on the coaching (And patience and time as well of course!)

Thing is, despite his years of experience, has Munchak ever been a zone guy? I don't really know, but I can't shake the feeling that his o-lines in Tennesee and Pittsburgh were more characterised by power-blocking than by zone. I don't know that for sure but it does make me worry about his ability to make this line great at it.

Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me he has lots of zone blocking on his resume and that with improved personnel we'll be just fine. I need to hear it because its worrying away at the back of my mind

Pass blocking is very important, and his credentials in this area are impeccable, but however exciting Drew Lock may be he's not Peyton Manning - we will need a strong run game to be competitive again. is Munchak the man to do it in this system? Yes I know we need to improve the personnel - that's not even question - and I'm not saying sack him, I'm just concerned that he needs to be a zone expert and perhaps he isn't...…?

Let me know your thoughts on this one....
    Last edited by chrisp; 12-20-2019, 10:00 AM.

Everything's gonna be just fine, little Jimmy. And to answer your question, I have no idea.

Comment

We’ve had this discussion before, but essentially every offense from high school, through college, and into the pros uses zone concepts. How and when it gets used may vary, but everyone runs outside zone, inside zone, and some sort of off-tackle stretch play.

Top notch players can win their one on one blocks, and lesser players can mask deficiencies by using speed and double teams. This holds true for what anyone chooses to call “man” or “zone” blocking concepts.

Munchak is fine, we just need more talent (that stays healthy).

Comment

Originally posted by cmhargrove View Post
        We’ve had this discussion before, but essentially every offense from high school, through college, and into the pros uses zone concepts. How and when it gets used may vary, but everyone runs outside zone, inside zone, and some sort of off-tackle stretch play.

Top notch players can win their one on one blocks, and lesser players can mask deficiencies by using speed and double teams. This holds true for what anyone chooses to call “man” or “zone” blocking concepts.

Munchak is fine, we just need more talent (that stays healthy).
        This place amazes me still with the amount of time people put watching and talking football that they still fall for the traps that teams only do this and coaches only do that.

Comment

Pittsburgh was running a inside zone scheme for the last couple of years. He knows how to coach that and the outside zone. the problem is that we have had such instability on the right side of line that we can not get it move forward.

Comment

In Munchak, I trust.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	sparkleturd.gif
Views:	121
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	2539990

Comment

Thanks for the responses, although some of you seem to have missed the point a little bit. I know he knows how to coach zone - he's doing it. And i said in the OP that I'm aware most teams mix these techniques up a lot more than they used to. Question is does he know how to really excel at it?

If he's the coach we all think he is then maybe he'll find out how to if he doesn't already know. Also maybe its a moot point as we definitely need better players on the line in any case.

However, I'm one of those typical fans who only really looks closely at what the Broncos are up to, so I was hoping that some of the more learned posters here who aren't like me might have a few insights to offer, either on Munchak's background or on what other zone-heavy teams are doing in the same area and where their O-line coaches have come from?

I suppose we have enough to worry about on the O-line without also worrying about the coaching, but you know....

Comment

Working...
                X