OT - TV Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncosteven View Post
    Since the Bronco season is over I figured it would be a good time to talk about current TV spec's.

Looking to buy a 50 or 55" TV and wanted to stay with Samsung but some of their UHD TV's are priced more than some of their QLED. I don't need anything more than 4k. We bought a new amp about a year ago and it upscaled our ancient 1080p TV to 4k and made a huge improvement.

I want something with a refresh rate of at least 120 and I would like to stay in the $500-750 range. It doesn't have to be the best TV ever, just make watching Football and Movies without all the motion blur or soap opera effect crap I have read about. I have done so much research that my head is spinning. It is easy to go out and get a great TV if you spend over $1500 but if you want to stay at the lower end it is hard to sort out what TV has what.

As far as voice control I don't care, if anything we would rather not have it. As far as smart streaming we have Prime but we also have a PS4 to watch it on. It would be nice to not have to turn on the PS4 to stream prime but it doesn't matter.

This is the one I am leaning towards:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NC9XWG5...v_ov_lig_dp_it

There is this LG TV:
    https://www.amazon.com/LG-55SM8600PU...JQWB3HRC8J2MTT

There are cheap Toshiba and TCL Tv's that have 55" inch displays with streaming services and 120 hertz refresh rates that are below $500 but they seem too good to be true.

Again I want to watch movies on Blueray and eventually 4k and football, hockey, and a little baseball.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and I would give you lots of virtual rep.

Steve
    4k is pretty pointless unless you have a huge screen and/or sit very close. But, if you want the features that do make a difference (better image processing hardware, etc) that pretty much only goes in 'high end' sets now that all use at least 4k. It's like buying a car. To get the feature you want you have to buy pointless **** along with it.

Since you want to watch sports and movies, you want to make sure you get a set that is easy to turn the motion smoothing on and off. It's called something different by every brand. I think samsung calls it auto motion plus.

Turning this on (it's usually the default) causes the soap opera effect in movies and TV. It truly is terrible for movies and TV, but it's actually great for sports.

Don't trust what you see if you walk into a store. They set up the displays to highlight the expensive but low bang for buck (often pointless) features. For example making it easy to get real close to the huge screens so you can see the difference 4k makes in that situation.

Comment

Actually, I wouldn't buy ANY set that is only 1080P at this point unless it is a bedroom set for something below 40" in size. 4k sets are now the standard that you will find in almost any tv. Buying 1080P means you likely are buying older models that are being discontinued.

I recently replaced dual monitor setups on my two PCs in Portland with 40" 4K vizio tvs as the replacement. I am not into gaming, so that may be a reason not to do that if you are into that, but the desktop at 4K allows side by side windows with word or Excel sheets at high resolutions that my side by side 1920 monitors could not approach due to screen height.
      the 40" 4K sets were on sale at 200 a piece. I then sold my monitors on CL for about 80. Since the new monitor/tvs had built in apps for streaming I could also just sit at my desk and watch tv if desired. At 30 Inches distance a 40" 4K set is noticeably sharper.

I currently have a 9 year old 58" plasma as my main tv in Portland and I will replace it with a 4K 70-75 inch set when I go back there in May. (wife approval factor and the fact the Plasma still has a great image are the only reasons I haven't yet. My view distance there is about 13-15 feet which is too far to actually see the difference but I do want a larger image. )

Comment

Originally posted by ScottXray View Post
        Actually, I wouldn't buy ANY set that is only 1080P at this point unless it is a bedroom set for something below 40" in size. 4k sets are now the standard that you will find in almost any tv. Buying 1080P means you likely are buying older models that are being discontinued.

I recently replaced dual monitor setups on my two PCs in Portland with 40" 4K vizio tvs as the replacement. I am not into gaming, so that may be a reason not to do that if you are into that, but the desktop at 4K allows side by side windows with word or Excel sheets at high resolutions that my side by side 1920 monitors could not approach due to screen height.
        the 40" 4K sets were on sale at 200 a piece. I then sold my monitors on CL for about 80. Since the new monitor/tvs had built in apps for streaming I could also just sit at my desk and watch tv if desired. At 30 Inches distance a 40" 4K set is noticeably sharper.

I currently have a 9 year old 58" plasma as my main tv in Portland and I will replace it with a 4K 70-75 inch set when I go back there in May. (wife approval factor and the fact the Plasma still has a great image are the only reasons I haven't yet. My view distance there is about 13-15 feet which is too far to actually see the difference but I do want a larger image. )
        I got tired of my dual monitors and went with Samsungs 49" C49HG90. I game a little. It's main knock was the 3840x1080 resolution. However I like it. I noticed on this year's model upgrade they did increase to a higher resolution but went back from 144Hz to 120Hz on the refresh rate.

Comment

Working...
        X