Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - TV Info

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT - TV Info

    Since the Bronco season is over I figured it would be a good time to talk about current TV spec's.

    Looking to buy a 50 or 55" TV and wanted to stay with Samsung but some of their UHD TV's are priced more than some of their QLED. I don't need anything more than 4k. We bought a new amp about a year ago and it upscaled our ancient 1080p TV to 4k and made a huge improvement.

    I want something with a refresh rate of at least 120 and I would like to stay in the $500-750 range. It doesn't have to be the best TV ever, just make watching Football and Movies without all the motion blur or soap opera effect crap I have read about. I have done so much research that my head is spinning. It is easy to go out and get a great TV if you spend over $1500 but if you want to stay at the lower end it is hard to sort out what TV has what.

    As far as voice control I don't care, if anything we would rather not have it. As far as smart streaming we have Prime but we also have a PS4 to watch it on. It would be nice to not have to turn on the PS4 to stream prime but it doesn't matter.

    This is the one I am leaning towards:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NC9XWG5...v_ov_lig_dp_it

    There is this LG TV:
    https://www.amazon.com/LG-55SM8600PU...JQWB3HRC8J2MTT

    There are cheap Toshiba and TCL Tv's that have 55" inch displays with streaming services and 120 hertz refresh rates that are below $500 but they seem too good to be true.

    Again I want to watch movies on Blueray and eventually 4k and football, hockey, and a little baseball.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and I would give you lots of virtual rep.

    Steve

  • #2
    I just got this last week and I am loving it -

    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense...?skuId=6346784

    Rtings review -

    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h9f


    It does have amazon Prime Video built in along with other apps. Also Chromcast is built in which has been great with the Altitude blackout for the Nuggets and Avs. If you are streaming you can just right click to cast and it comes up on the screen. You don't have to change inputs or anything.
    Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 12-17-2019, 12:47 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      FWIW Rtings rates it higher than the Samsung RU8000 you are looking at -

      "The Hisense H9F is much better than the Samsung RU8000 for most uses. The H9F has a decent full array local dimming feature, is much brighter than the RU8000, and has better reflection handling."

      https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...se-h9f/784/908

      Comment


      • #4
        Whatever you get, pair it with comcast. The X1 boxes broadcast every HD channel in 4K. Near 4000x2160/60p will make watching your games a great experience. Took a while for them to come out with these boxes but it made a massive difference.

        I know a lot of people hate cable, but if I’m paying a huge coin for multiple high end TVs I want all channels possible in the high resolution. Added along side of Netflix/Hulu/etc etc

        Comment


        • #5
          Forget the 120 refresh rate. That's kind of a made up/misleading number from the manufacturers. They don't compare out as apples to apples. Broadcast and such never hit those rates anyways. As for motion blur, that's literally in your head. Your brain is predicting the next frames. Good news for you is that the smaller the TV, the less noticeable motion blur. That's not to say that the more expensive TVs haven't found a way to combat it. You want a TV with HDR!!! If you want to future proof for now go OLED. Not to be confused with QLED. Best bang for the buck is to research the processor speed and get the fastest possible in your bracket.

          Can never go wrong with Sony. They cost more but are worth it. After all, they're the ones that control the movie studios.
          Last edited by OmegaBronco13; 12-17-2019, 01:48 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post
            Forget the 120 refresh rate. That's kind of a made up/misleading number from the manufacturers. They don't compare out as apples to apples. Broadcast and such never hit those rates anyways. As for motion blur, that's literally in your head. Your brain is predicting the next frames. Good news for you is that the smaller the TV, the less noticeable motion blur. That's not to say that the more expensive TVs haven't found a way to combat it. You want a TV with HDR!!! If you want to future proof for now go OLED. Not to be confused with QLED. Best bang for the buck is to research the processor speed and get the fastest possible in your bracket.

            Can never go wrong with Sony. They cost more but are worth it. After all, they're the ones that control the movie studios.
            Yup. I got the Sony X900E 55" 3 years ago and it's been fantastic. Not a single issue. So much has to do with input as well. My cable box picture quality is good, but when I stream Netflix or Prime, it's impressive. I thought about going up in size, but as you mentioned, that mid range size just looks better. 55" is as large as I would care to have.

            Comment


            • #7
              So right now I steam online only with att fiber with no TV provider. Is it worth upgrading from the 1080p to a 4K? Anyone know if I would need a new graphics card(have 5 year old card now) to take advantage and if streaming services support 4K?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ZONA View Post

                Yup. I got the Sony X900E 55" 3 years ago and it's been fantastic. Not a single issue. So much has to do with input as well. My cable box picture quality is good, but when I stream Netflix or Prime, it's impressive. I thought about going up in size, but as you mentioned, that mid range size just looks better. 55" is as large as I would care to have.
                I didn't really say that. Just for the OP situation. In fact I just went from Sony 75" (4 years old) to a new Sony 85" and the difference is night and day. So much so that I'm really wanting another one. Standing firm as OLED will be here soon enough. Sony's faster processors are off the charts...especially in the blur department.

                FWIW, I think the newer processors just came out last year. I think there's 3 versions. If possible I'd at least aim for the middle or better.
                Last edited by OmegaBronco13; 12-17-2019, 03:00 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kappys View Post
                  So right now I steam online only with att fiber with no TV provider. Is it worth upgrading from the 1080p to a 4K? Anyone know if I would need a new graphics card(have 5 year old card now) to take advantage and if streaming services support 4K?
                  You going from computer to TV? I find the up scaling to be all over the place. For movies I'm all about UltraHD/Blue-Ray. The difference in audio is worth the price of admission. I love fiber!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post

                    I didn't really say that. Just for the OP situation. In fact I just went from Sony 75" (4 years old) to a new Sony 85" and the difference is night and day. So much so that I'm really wanting another one. Standing firm as OLED will be here soon enough. Sony's faster processors are off the charts...especially in the blur department.

                    FWIW, I think the newer processors just came out last year. I think there's 3 versions. If possible I'd at least aim for the middle or better.
                    What do you do with all those 4 year old tv's?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by broncosteven View Post

                      What do you do with all those 4 year old tv's?
                      Depends. Why you want to buy it? It's still better than the budget 75" TVs.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post

                        Depends. Why you want to buy it? It's still better than the budget 75" TVs.
                        I live in the burbs of Chicago, the shipping would kill me.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post

                          You going from computer to TV? I find the up scaling to be all over the place. For movies I'm all about UltraHD/Blue-Ray. The difference in audio is worth the price of admission. I love fiber!!
                          Yeah. Haven’t had any issues but then I’m only up scaling to 1080 not 4k

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My current set is the sony 75X850F. I get a chubby every time I turn it on.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post
                              Forget the 120 refresh rate. That's kind of a made up/misleading number from the manufacturers. They don't compare out as apples to apples. Broadcast and such never hit those rates anyways. As for motion blur, that's literally in your head. Your brain is predicting the next frames. Good news for you is that the smaller the TV, the less noticeable motion blur. That's not to say that the more expensive TVs haven't found a way to combat it. You want a TV with HDR!!! If you want to future proof for now go OLED. Not to be confused with QLED. Best bang for the buck is to research the processor speed and get the fastest possible in your bracket.

                              Can never go wrong with Sony. They cost more but are worth it. After all, they're the ones that control the movie studios.
                              Uh no, it’s a thing a real thing. Brain prediction or not so bite me with the literally in your head ****. Maybe people who see it have better more advanced brains. I’ve stood side by side with tv’s and seen or not seen it. If you want a good test watch an F1 or motorcycle race. Maybe refresh rate is the issue too

                              Once you get the TV home the comparisons go away. As long as it’s 4K you’ll love it. Then it’s a matter of what signal your provider is giving you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X