Projected 85 million in cap space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projected 85 million in cap space

After Flacco and Leary are cut we are projected to have 85 million in cap space. That should be enough to bring back Simmons, Harris, Wolfe, Purcell, McGovern and yes CHJ. We will also have enough to make a couple big signings in FA.

My current targets would be Byron Jones and Cory Littleton. My approach is to buy the defensive starters to fill the holes on an already strong unit and build the offense through the draft with young cheaper guys.

This defense would be insane next year with the additions of another all pro CB opposite CHJ and a coverage LB beside AJ, and on top of that we would be getting Chubb back opposite Von and Callahan to play the NB.

Brandon Scherff come on down

Comment

Two weeks ago, talk was it would take a lot of cash to keep Wolfe, Simmons and CHJ. The talk now is maybe, we can get Wolfe and CHJ on a hometown discount. Crazy what a QB can bring your team.

I just ask we find another pass rushing DT to push the pocket.

Comment

CHJ is not taking another hometown discount. I don’t have any sources but after last offseason I can assure you that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
          CHJ is not taking another hometown discount. I don’t have any sources but after last offseason I can assure you that.
          He's not, and I think we let him walk. I've love him on the team, but it looks to me like he's lost just a little bit (very little now, but in 2-3 years?) and would be leery of giving him a longer term deal, but he's going to want to get one last BIG paycheck. This is going to be his final chance to cash in and I think he's going to take it.

Lock up Simmons long term, I wouldn't bring back Wolfe, too injured every year, but he was beasting after Chubb went down, he can still play, but can he last an entire year the way he plays?

Comment

We can save $4m each cutting Todd Davis and IRman - unlikely as we're weak at those 2 positions, and $4m isn't all that much...

Comment

Why did Elway give Harris free money when he didn't have to? Was it not a goodwill gesture for the future?

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingTiger View Post

Why did Elway give Harris free money when he didn't have to? Was it not a goodwill gesture for the future?

I think it bought the team time to evaluate his trending play and see if he is worthy in the future. It was a short term effort to compensate him to a level that he earned. and have him at least consider the Broncos if the team still wanted him. I think it also would keep his attitude at a good level. The Broncos know they got great value with the current contract relative to his play. This also sent a good message to the rest of the team. It is a business and they need to be very careful with someone at his age and position along with the other needs to be addressed. Without a doubt, he will follow the money. The Broncos have done a pretty good job in decisions regarding aged veterans and letting them go.

Comment

Cap space won't matter.

The Broncos operate with a yearly budget of around $150-$175M in total cash spend. That's the more important figure and usually around the lower figure. Currently the cash spend is projected to be around $115M so that's why it's important Leary/Flacco are cut so their cash spend of around $28M is saved and that gives the team around $70-$90M to spend in cash including our own free agents and new players including rookies.

Comment

I'd bring in FA help along the offensive line after cutting Flacco and Leary. Not sure what to think about Butt, do the Broncos keep him, maybe give him one more year? I know Hueuerman (sp?) already has a new contract so I'm not sure he's going anywhere. Spend the high draft picks on defensive line and CB. Then the late rounds to help special teams including PUNTING.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
                      I'd bring in FA help along the offensive line after cutting Flacco and Leary. Not sure what to think about Butt, do the Broncos keep him, maybe give him one more year? I know Hueuerman (sp?) already has a new contract so I'm not sure he's going anywhere. Spend the high draft picks on defensive line and CB. Then the late rounds to help special teams including PUNTING.
                      Send Butt packing as soon as he gets dinged again.

Comment

This team needs to draft a WR in this draft.
                        This draft is being talked about as the greatest WR draft in NFL history. DEN needs a burner that can get behind the defense and force them to play back especially with Locks arm talent. This addition will make all the other offensive players lives much easier.
                        DEN also needs another RB. Edwards-Helaire or AJ Dillon are many of the posters here favorites. Need another power runner for this offense to slow things down and go big and milk the clock. Lindsey isn’t that guy. Freeman has been meh.
                        As for the FA money, I say buy the O line.
                        Pro Bowl OTs, Trent Williams, Anthony Costanzo, lots of G’s, Sherff, Flowers, Glasgow.

Comment

I'm not sure he's going to command huge money in FA from anyone though. So it's possible he'll just decide to stay when he sees that the Broncos can make a competitive offer, assuming they want to. That said, it only takes one team to stupidly over pay. But he turns 31 in June and there wasn't much interest in the trade market for him this year. So he's not getting a mega, multi-year deal.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post
                            This team needs to draft a WR in this draft.
                            This draft is being talked about as the greatest WR draft in NFL history. DEN needs a burner that can get behind the defense and force them to play back especially with Locks arm talent. This addition will make all the other offensive players lives much easier.
                            DEN also needs another RB. Edwards-Helaire or AJ Dillon are many of the posters here favorites. Need another power runner for this offense to slow things down and go big and milk the clock. Lindsey isn’t that guy. Freeman has been meh.
                            As for the FA money, I say buy the O line.
                            Pro Bowl OTs, Trent Williams, Anthony Costanzo, lots of G’s, Sherff, Flowers, Glasgow.
                            Funny you say that. Currently, walterfootball.com has us taking both CeeDee Lamb and Tylan Wallace in the first three rounds. That would be a WR wet dream of a draft.
                            Last edited by cmhargrove; 12-13-2019, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fontaine View Post
                              Cap space won't matter.

The Broncos operate with a yearly budget of around $150-$175M in total cash spend. That's the more important figure and usually around the lower figure. Currently the cash spend is projected to be around $115M so that's why it's important Leary/Flacco are cut so their cash spend of around $28M is saved and that gives the team around $70-$90M to spend in cash including our own free agents and new players including rookies.
                              How do you know what the Broncos cashflow is?

Comment

Working...
                              X