Lock is the guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aztec Bronco View Post
    Obviously over-simplifying to some degree here, but surgeons are natural fits in Erhardt-Perkins and traditional West Coast offenses. Butchers are natural fits in Air Coryell and Shanahan West Coast offenses. So as fun as it would be to see Drew in, say, a Bruce Arians offense, he actually is a good fit for what Scangs wants to do.
    His arm is going to open up things so much. That pass to Patrick on 3rd down was a perfect example. He was getting pressure, threw off his back foot, and still managed to fling it perfectly 44 yards downfield, probably 55 yards in the air, before the Safety was able to get there. Having Booker and Fant catch those passes over the middle and have forever to run were not coincidence. Get a few speedsters and it will only open up the middle more.

Comment

• Originally posted by sgbfan View Post

His arm is going to open up things so much. That pass to Patrick on 3rd down was a perfect example. He was getting pressure, threw off his back foot, and still managed to fling it perfectly 44 yards downfield, probably 55 yards in the air, before the Safety was able to get there. Having Booker and Fant catch those passes over the middle and have forever to run were not coincidence. Get a few speedsters and it will only open up the middle more.
      Yup. It's really a game changer getting an arm that can attack every part of the field. And this offense is built for hitting chunk plays while protecting the QB. Problem with Coryell offenses is the propensity for QBs to get killed waiting for downfield routes to develop. Monken and Kitchens are getting Mayfield killed this year, and it really doesn't make sense because their OL is terrible in pass pro and he's naturally more of a surgeon type QB anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by v2micca View Post
        Well, this one does throw a little bit of cold water on the party. JT O'sullivan put up his review of Drew Locks second game. And while he was very complimentary of Lock in his first match-up against the changers, he is much more Bearish on his outlook based on Drew's tape against the Texans.

And the thing is, while I think he does get a little nit-picky with some of his criticisms, he does bring up some good points regarding Locks footwork, timing and holding Defensive Backs with his eyes that he will need to clean up.
        I know it's this guys job to make these videos and you're right, he's definitely nit picking a little bit. I think you go into this knowing this is only Lock's second start. Only 2 weeks of taking 1st team reps. Most times in camp and preseason, this is what you're starting QB is doing, getting that timing down with everybody. Locks's trying to do it in 2 weeks, not an entire 6 weeks of camp/preseason. I don't think anybody in their right mind is expecting a rookie in his 2nd game to look 'polished'. What you're hoping for is to see him make some nice plays while limiting the crucial mistakes. There simply needs to be a larger body of work to really break him down and see if he's making improvements or developing bad habits. I'm sure much of his time (since being drafted) has been learning the playbook. That's first and foremost. I don't care how polished you are, if you don't know the plays, you're not even getting on the field. Then there's also the injury that set him back from even practicing for a long time. These games Lock is playing right now are essentially 'getting his feet wet' if you will. Get on the field, lose any of those jitters, get used to the speed of the game, get some timing down with players, really, just getting a feel for the NFL game. It's a big adjustment from college.

Comment

• Originally posted by pricejj View Post
          Lock throws off his back foot for accuracy when pressure is in his face. It's a fade away jump shot that he nails with deadly accuracy from downtown. If he stepped into those throws he would be nailed. He's got a good knack for sensing pressure, waiting to get a perfect throw off, and avoiding contact after the release.
          I agree. I think some of the gripes over mechanics are people just trying to seem like they know what they're talking about. "Proper" mechanics would have resulted in worse outcomes on a handful of plays he made, ethic by way of getting sacked or having the get tipped.

Comment

• Originally posted by pricejj View Post
            Lock throws off his back foot for accuracy when pressure is in his face. It's a fade away jump shot that he nails with deadly accuracy from downtown. If he stepped into those throws he would be nailed. He's got a good knack for sensing pressure, waiting to get a perfect throw off, and avoiding contact after the release.
            Being able to hit that fade away jumper is an important skill for a QB to possess as he won’t always have the luxury of a clean pocket. But, in my opinion, it’s more important to have the discipline to not resort to it too quickly and stand tall in the pocket as long as possible. Take the long completion to Patrick in the second quarter. No one is going to argue that it was a dime of a throw in just the right place. But Drew makes this play harder than it needs to be. He has a clean pocket on the play but fades to the left and actually drifts into pressure. This forced him to throw off platform instead of stepping into the throw. In the end, he drops it in there. But that is a low percentage play that you don’t want to see him attempting often.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post

Cutler comparison is fine since they mean skill set. His problem was his attitude and his work ethic on his game. He didnt work that hard at it and was happy collecting checks. Never was any better than year 2. Lock seems to really want to be a good player. He goes through his reads a hell of a lot quicker than Jay did at the same point. The closest Jay throw I saw was double clutch INT.

Funny to me that people will talk down On JTO but will take random Twitter guys word if it fits what they want to hear.
              cutler all that talent and no heart for the game.
              a complete waste were it not for the great cigarette montage

Comment

• if you read his posts in the comments o'sullivan says lock is off to a good start. he made slme decent points about geting his feet righf to be more consistent with accuracy. some of those throws were placed just right with bad feet and he made some risky reads. it will be interesting if thats just something he has the talent to do. like farve. also, cutler was a prety good qb. i dont mind an early comp.

Comment

Is there anything disagreeable about the idea that he'll need to improve his fundamentals to have a better chance of long term success? He'll be able to generate even more power in his throws when the "fade away" thing is cleaned up. It's nice to have a QB who can get away with it, but you don't want to see it become a consistent habit.

I think you guys can make an argument out of literally anything.
                  There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the fade away throws.

Comment

• Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post

cutler all that talent and no heart for the game.
                    a complete waste were it not for the great cigarette montage
                    Cutler's biggest issue was his coach-ability, likely stemming from entitlement issues. I remember speaking with a couple of people who had some interactions with him during his Vanderbilt day. This was right after the Broncos had drafted him in 2006. They were all kind of evasive but the general vibe I got was that if you were not part of Cutler's short list, to him you were nothing more than a bug on the bottom of his shoe. Shanahan was probably one of the few coaches that made Cutler's short list and could have actually coached him up. Cutler was never going to listen to a damned thing McDaniels said and Hoodie Jr. knew that from the onset, which is why he had to trade him. From that point on, he wasn't interested in listening to anyone with critiques of his gameplay.

So, that is my biggest concern about Lock. I don't know Lock. I've never met the kid or spoken with anyone who has had personal interactions with him. So I have no idea what his ability is when it comes to learning from corrective criticism and coaching. It's pretty obvious from early interviews and stories from the locker room that he has a much better attitude than Cutler ever did. So, at the worst, we have a Matthew Stafford type on our hands. But if he is receptive to coaching and willing to continually work on improving his craft......well then his ceiling is that of an Aaron Rogers type.

Comment

• Lock has "it." Whatever "it" is.

Comment

• Lock has the typical rookie mistakes with footwork and staring down players, but he is also making bigtime plays which is huge. He has also gone through reads which is tough for young players to do. I'd say he has a long way to go but is way ahead of the curve so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                          Lock has the typical rookie mistakes with footwork and staring down players, but he is also making bigtime plays which is huge. He has also gone through reads which is tough for young players to do. I'd say he has a long way to go but is way ahead of the curve so far.
                          Yes, I agree with this, especially with the being ahead of the curve part. He looks like he belongs. Another thing that to me is really important and a good sign is how much his teammates seem to really love him, and how they respond to him. He's a natural leader at a position where leadership is so important.

I'm not saying he is this guy yet, but he reminds me a bit of Favre. A strong arm, mobile in the pocket, and makes some plays that almost look like luck, but when the luck goes your way that often it can't be just luck.

It took me a long time to come around on Favre as a great QB, because when I watched him it looked like he would just trust his strong arm and chuck the ball downfield, and his player miraculously came up with it. But when you do that enough, it isn't just "luck". So far in his young career, Lock seems to have a bit of that. But he has the arm, smarts and work ethic to improve, and pull off those kind of throws.

I'm truly excited to see what's next for him, and to see where his career takes him.

Comment

• Gunslinging QBs can provide a barrel of great entertainment. And, with support, they can win games. Fave and Rodgers, and others have been successful, and I can see Lock being among the next generation of young guns. Can Lock get better? Sure. Can the Broncos give more support? Sure. What that support might be is subject to discussion.

In the draft, I want to see an OT, a C or G, a MLB, a DB. Everything else is backup. Consistency with Scangs and the D with Donatelli makes a post-season run next year very likely, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by socalorado View Post

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the fade away throws.
                              Lol, sure. Perfect player, doesn't need to change anything.

Comment

Lol, sure. Perfect player, doesn't need to change anything.
                                L. O. L.
                                Thats not what I’m saying. The fade away throws are fine. He’s drawing in the defenders, while buying time and allowing the route to develop. If he doesn’t do that those plays never happen.
                                I get the throwing off your back foot constantly complaint. But that’s no applicable to the fade away throws. He has the arm to make these plays. Mahomes and Rogers do it every game.

Comment

Working...
                                X