Lock is the guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by v2micca View Post
    Well, this one does throw a little bit of cold water on the party. JT O'sullivan put up his review of Drew Locks second game. And while he was very complimentary of Lock in his first match-up against the changers, he is much more Bearish on his outlook based on Drew's tape against the Texans.

And the thing is, while I think he does get a little nit-picky with some of his criticisms, he does bring up some good points regarding Locks footwork, timing and holding Defensive Backs with his eyes that he will need to clean up.
    He definitely needs to improve, but the raw talent and skill is there. I fully expect him to have some down games, but to me he has shown enough that he should be the starter going into next season, and build from there.

Comment

• Right off the bat, O'Sullivan says something really stupid in that video. On the first play he analyzes, Lock threw the ball inside away from the corner, and therefore the corner didn't have a shot at it. Beyond that I think he had fair criticisms, but I also think it's coming from a guy who lacked the physical talent to succeed without perfect mechanics. Lock doesn't have that limitation. Certainly Lock needs to clean up a lot of stuff to be great, and not just another Cutler or maybe Stafford (two guys guilty of complacency due to arm talent).

Comment

• Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
        Right off the bat, O'Sullivan says something really stupid in that video. On the first play he analyzes, Lock threw the ball inside away from the corner, and therefore the corner didn't have a shot at it. Beyond that I think he had fair criticisms, but I also think it's coming from a guy who lacked the physical talent to succeed without perfect mechanics. Lock doesn't have that limitation. Certainly Lock needs to clean up a lot of stuff to be great, and not just another Cutler or maybe Stafford (two guys guilty of complacency due to arm talent).
        stafford complacent?
        lost me there.

Comment

Well, this one does throw a little bit of cold water on the party. JT O'sullivan put up his review of Drew Locks second game. And while he was very complimentary of Lock in his first match-up against the changers, he is much more Bearish on his outlook based on Drew's tape against the Texans.

And the thing is, while I think he does get a little nit-picky with some of his criticisms, he does bring up some good points regarding Locks footwork, timing and holding Defensive Backs with his eyes that he will need to clean up.
          "If I'm a DB and I'm playing the Broncos this week, I'm pretty excited."

Wow. Amazing how when you get the perspective of a guy who is unbiased and understands what he's seeing it really changes the way you look at it. I haven't watched the whole thing yet but what I've watched so far has tempered my enthusiasm a good bit. The Cutler comps are concerning. Got away with a lot of mistakes that turned into positive plays. Hmm. I guess we'll know more after this week's game.

Comment

Right off the bat, O'Sullivan says something really stupid in that video. On the first play he analyzes, Lock threw the ball inside away from the corner, and therefore the corner didn't have a shot at it. Beyond that I think he had fair criticisms, but I also think it's coming from a guy who lacked the physical talent to succeed without perfect mechanics. Lock doesn't have that limitation. Certainly Lock needs to clean up a lot of stuff to be great, and not just another Cutler or maybe Stafford (two guys guilty of complacency due to arm talent).
            Lock is always going to throw off platform and make plays on the move without perfect mechanics cause he can. He’s physically gifted to be able to do it.
            He manipulates the pocket, buying time on numerous throws vs HOU then throws just before he gets hit, falling away because he can.
            He has the arm to do it and there’s nothing wrong with it.
            O'Sullivan is just seeing a guy who can do everything he could only wish to do as a pro.

Comment

Sigh, I wasted my time watching it. I read somewhere that Lock said he knew the DB didn't follow Sutton up the field, so he threw it inside so that Fant can boxed out the DB. I guess he lost me that he said Lock had a lucky throw. Yes maybe it was a lucky throw. Anyway, he went on and on so I kind of got lost and the end one he showed Lock threw to Sutton with the interception. He was drawing this is where Lock should have thrown etc ..., but if you see the play developed, Sutton was going down field anyway, so both the QB and the receiver are on the same page, he could say that Lock should not lock down on Sutton to allow the safety to come over and intercept then that is fair. I did see Lock did stare down a few down so all in all he is still a rookie learning on the job. I think Lock still need to improve a lot more to be a NFL QB, he is on the right path that's all.

Comment

• Originally posted by socalorado View Post

Lock is always going to throw off platform and make plays on the move without perfect mechanics cause he can. He’s physically gifted to be able to do it.
                He manipulates the pocket, buying time on numerous throws vs HOU then throws just before he gets hit, falling away because he can.
                O'Sullivan is just seeing a guy who can do everything he could only wish to do as a pro.
                Being able to throw off platform is great when it's needed. Doing it when you have a clean pocket and should just be using proper mechanics is not great, no matter who you are. In my opinion, Lock's biggest issues right now are staring down receivers and sometimes not using proper footwork when he has a chance to (sometimes he does, so it's clear he knows what he should do). Two games in the guy looks like a potential stud, but it's silly to dismiss totally valid criticisms. Obviously he still has A LOT of work to do.

Comment

Being able to throw off platform is great when it's needed. Doing it when you have a clean pocket and should just be using proper mechanics is not great, no matter who you are. In my opinion, Lock's biggest issues right now are staring down receivers and sometimes not using proper footwork when he has a chance to (sometimes he does, so it's clear he knows what he should do). Two games in the guy looks like a potential stud, but it's silly to dismiss totally valid criticisms. Obviously he still has A LOT of work to do.
                  I’m not saying he should do it just to do it. Their are bad habits he needs to clean up.
                  But, O Sullivan is nit picky and a bit overboard in that Lock actually buys time with his feet manipulating the pocket and then throws off platform a bit at times and there is nothing wrong with it. He’s working with some bad O linemen. It was his 2nd start FFS, He’ll clean it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyR View Post

"If I'm a DB and I'm playing the Broncos this week, I'm pretty excited."

Wow. Amazing how when you get the perspective of a guy who is unbiased and understands what he's seeing it really changes the way you look at it. I haven't watched the whole thing yet but what I've watched so far has tempered my enthusiasm a good bit. The Cutler comps are concerning. Got away with a lot of mistakes that turned into positive plays. Hmm. I guess we'll know more after this week's game.
                    Your enthusiasm is tempered? Rofl...Tony sometimes you really crack me up. Lock's started two whole games! And while he had valid criticisms, the notion Lock got lucky a bunch in that game is laughable. The first big pass to Fant was perfectly placed to the inside, and the corner had no shot on it. He definitely wasn't lucky there, and I would say most of the "luck" claims are very dubious because they fail to account for Lock's arm strength allowing him to put balls in places a guy like O'Sullivan never could. I think the mechanical criticisms are 100% valid, but his talk of luck is pretty silly.

Comment

Agreed. I have seen a lot to like about Lock and he is going to need the offseason to clean up the footwork, and time on the field (or more VR) to not stare down receivers. He's got work to do, but we should all be encouraged by what he's shown in 2 weeks.

Comment

I’m not saying he should do it just to do it. Their are bad habits he needs to clean up.
                        But, O Sullivan is nit picky and a bit overboard in that Lock actually buys time with his feet manipulating the pocket and then throws off platform a bit at times and there is nothing wrong with it. He’s working with some bad O linemen. It was his 2nd start FFS, He’ll clean it up.

I think we're in agreement in the sense that O'Sullivan is coming from a place where mechanics are everything, because he didn't really have NFL arm talent, much less elite arm talent like Lock. He kind of misses the forest for the trees there. I do think any QB coach would basically say the same stuff to Lock as O'Sullivan is saying though. That's what that video kind of felt like: a coaching session. Meanwhile, if you're watching that video from a player assessment angle, it's kind of mind-boggling precisely because of what he's doing as a raw rookie.

Comment

QBs that require a perfect base to get off an effective throw have no business playing in the NFL where the "pocketZ" rarely offers a real position of comfort where a QB can set, load and throw a pass like he was taking a T shot or throwing a javalin from a stationary stance.
                          20 years ago the phrase "off platform didnt even exist in discribing QB play.

Comment

• "throw on the run."
                            " throw from a phone booth"
                            some of you may have to google dan marino, as well as phone booth.

Comment

I agree. Good post!

Comment

Your enthusiasm is tempered? Rofl...Tony sometimes you really crack me up. Lock's started two whole games! And while he had valid criticisms, the notion Lock got lucky a bunch in that game is laughable. The first big pass to Fant was perfectly placed to the inside, and the corner had no shot on it. He definitely wasn't lucky there, and I would say most of the "luck" claims are very dubious because they fail to account for Lock's arm strength allowing him to put balls in places a guy like O'Sullivan never could. I think the mechanical criticisms are 100% valid, but his talk of luck is pretty silly.
                                Lol, I guess you don't understand the concept of "tempered enthusiasm"? Do you know what someone means when they say that? Let's start there before I waste my time explaining this to you any further. By your reaction it appears you're a little confused!

Comment

Working...
                                X